C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converting coupe to vert

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 04:26 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting coupe to vert

Im bored and curious. What do you guys think it would take? I think you'd need a new rear "deck lid" thing, the panel that covers the top when its down(dunno its name), then the top, with all the springs and wires and whatever else they have. Then you'd need new rear quarter panels for the interior, and a new mold peice that goes across the windsheild...And in fact, when I think about it, you could probably use your current rear deck lid thing, but it would require fiberglass work, and ***** of steel to cut the sugar scoup off...

oh ya, and you'd have to add support for the bird cage...anyone think of anything else? What do you think the price tag on this would be(minus paint).

Daniel
Old 01-10-2002, 04:41 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: converting coupe to vert (daniel77350)

I think you'd be farther ahead to just get a roadster project car or body and go from there. You could transfer your interior, motor, trans,etc to the roadster car. To do what you're talking about, I personally think you'd be taking on too much. That is a ton of work-to even have it come out OK!!! Right now there is a '75 roadster project car for $3,600 around my area. You'd be better off going that route in my opinion. :yesnod:

[Modified by Paul Borowski, 2:43 PM 1/10/2002]
Old 01-10-2002, 05:14 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I think that if you take on that project you will be driving a WV to school.

George
Old 01-10-2002, 05:26 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Actually, its not that hard. If you have a clean coupe and really want a vert, I say go for it. From what I was told from Zip, all vettes were built nearly the same from the bird cage down. Then the top of the coupe was welded were the vert stops. Rick of Elgin's Corvette in Charlotte said he could do it easily. Cut the top of the coupe off and add the vert convertible frame, deck lid and rear deck. I also plan to have a roll bar custom made to fit without cutting the rear deck lid. This will also lock the rearend together and add additional support to the bird cage. I have a 73 vert that has an 80 body and interior. I really love my 80s style vert because its so unique.

Regards,

Jim

[Modified by Jim73, 4:28 PM 1/10/2002]
Old 01-10-2002, 06:10 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: converting coupe to vert (Jim73)

Doors and door glass are different from coupes to 'verts. I don't know if you could re-use the coupe doors since you're changing the body at the top of the door area to mate with a convertible deck lid. If you can re-use the doors, you may be able to just install 'vert door glass and get it to mate with the top properly.

Nothing else really comes to mind other than the windshield header interior trim. Oh yeah, the AstroVent stuff may be affected as well.

Shannon
Old 01-10-2002, 06:11 PM
IWantAC3
Intermediate

Default Re: converting coupe to vert (Jim73)

I know this dosen't explain anything but the current car of the week is a zo6 vert, which started as a zo6 and had the vert part added. Not a vert with zo6 parts added.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:30 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: converting coupe to vert (IWantAC3)

IMHO, if you really just have to have a convertible, buy one. Are you willing to tear up your perfectly nice coupe for a project that might ultimately end up an abortion??? Regardless, its not worth the expense or the headache even if its done right, which I'm not sure is possible anyway.

Mark
Old 01-10-2002, 06:53 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

It doesn't look too tough to me. You would most certainly want a donor roadster as I'm sure there are differences that aren't obvious. I thought the only differences in the doors was the jamb wedge - but I could be wrong. I'm sure it would be much easier than converting a metal bodied car - which is done regularly.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:20 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: converting coupe to vert (sb69coupe)

Hello Shannon (aka sb69coupe),

Whats up? Actually, you can buy an aftermarket rear deck that mates the later style doors to the bumper yet allows the opening for the deck lid. I will say that my car does have the astrovent windows. There is a vert on another forum, I think an 82, that looks great. Many have done this conversion. Its not for everyone but it can be done. If you really want to do this, you should have a professional who has done this before perform the conversion. I don't think this is for the do-it-yourself.

Regards,

Jim
Old 01-11-2002, 01:09 AM
Cole Neadow
Racer

Can it be done? Yes
Is it cheap? No
Is it worth it? I think so
1980 Convertible 454 4spd

Get notified of new replies

To converting coupe to vert

Quick Reply: converting coupe to vert