C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fiberglass work question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 04:05 PM
75stinger
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fiberglass work question?

Do you think it wold be easier to

A.) Fix my headlight opening where bubba was to lazy to fix the problem of it not opening fully by grinding away 1/4" on the back edge of the bucket.

or

B.) Completly glass the openings and go with som custom lamps in the lower grill?

I have seen option B on a few vettes and like the way it looks. It would be a pain in the **** to just redo the back edge and get it to be straight.

Old 01-10-2002, 04:42 PM
TJRed76
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fiberglass work question? (75stinger)

75stinger,

It seems to me that if you like the look of the second option, it will be worth the extra effort to have this unique light system. Go for what you want the most, not what is easiest. You will probably end up switching over later anyway.

TJRed76 :cheers:
Old 01-10-2002, 05:14 PM
shamby
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck trying to find out how to do part B:. This is how I want to set mine up, but I can't find any info on how to mount the lights behind the Grill. If you find out please let me know..
Old 01-10-2002, 05:16 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Before you do either, check to see if you can realign the bucket. You might be able to move it forward far enough to solve your clearance problems without creating clearance problems at the front.
:)
Old 01-10-2002, 08:08 PM
75stinger
Drifting

Default Re: Fiberglass work question? (Easy Mike)

Bubba already fixed the clerance issues by grinding away about 1/4" off the back edge of the opening for the headlight bucket.

I think this would look good

[Modified by 75stinger, 6:31 PM 1/10/2002]
Old 01-10-2002, 10:03 PM
73-454
Burning Brakes

I have the same problem on my 73 the rear lids of the lights are rubbing on the back of the fiberglass when opening. I was thinking of pulling a Baba I was going to grined away 1/8 inch from the back of the lids. Is this a common problem ? Is there another fix ? ?
Old 01-10-2002, 10:22 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Fiberglass work question? (73-454)

Under head light assembly there is way to adjust assembly, I did it on mine a couple of years ago all I can remember it's a little tricky but can be done :yesnod:
Old 01-10-2002, 10:26 PM
73 Teach's Pet
Instructor

Do what you like and you will be happy with, but I never make permanent changes that are very hard to undue someday incase I change my mind or want to restore a car when its value goes out of sight. Like all those mid year Vettes that were customized back in the 70's, which are now being turned back to the way GM produced them because they are so desirable and valuable in a restored condition.
But funny how what man thinks is a Bubba move is anothers man's opinion of a cool custom improvement. Personally I think fixing your problem by glassing over the headlights would be a Bubba if I wound up with a car with that done to it.
Obviously I like the stock factory version and would repair the existing head light system. Though I like the smoothed the over photo of the white wagon above, I think that square headlights look modern and boxy, which clashes drastically with the round curves of a C3 body and make them look out of place. I also use a center grill on my 73 and am going to paint the flush bumperettes semigloss black to match the grills, instead of body color, to create a 68 RS Camaro type effect. With the styling effect I am trying to acheive, square or low mounted headlights are not an option.
Ultimately, you should build your car the way which it will make you proud of it, not by making others proud of it.
Ahhhh... the choices in life are endless.
I hope that is a little long term insight to help you make your decision.
Be cool!
"TEACH"
Old 01-10-2002, 10:37 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Fiberglass work question? (73 Teach's Pet)

I personally don't like my Vette with the headlights up at all :nonod: I think the sharks body lines are perfect with them flush or down at all times :yesnod: I hate when it get's dark and that goes for C4's as well :mad :boxing

[Modified by Intimidator454, 9:37 PM 1/10/2002]
Old 01-11-2002, 08:17 AM
shamby
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone knows how to set the Headlights up like what was in the above Wagon please let me know.

Get notified of new replies

To Fiberglass work question?

Quick Reply: Fiberglass work question?