C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine light on, how do I read the codes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 01:03 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine light on, how do I read the codes?

Driving home last night my check engine light came on about 5 different times. I was on the highway and the car seemed to violently cut out, however it never shut off, just pauses then the light would come on for about 20 seconds max then shut off. ANy idea what it could be and how do I get the codes from the light? Should I go buy a code scanner?
-Thanks in advance- Travis
Old 01-10-2002, 02:10 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 754 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Check Engine light on, how do I read the codes? (TJKirby82CE)

I don't know about the older computer systems but on my Ford Probe GT all you do is ground on of the terminals in the dianostic plug and then the check engine light will blink the code. I just looked in my shop manual and it says the connector for the 82's is located in the center console under the ashtray. Use a jumper wire with the ignition on and the engine stopped and jumper between terminals A and B ( A being ground and B being Diagnostic). The check engine light will flash a code 12 which indicated the system is operating. The check engine light will flash once the pause the flash twice, this is code 12. The manual says that after 3 code 12's if there are any trouble codes they will follow the third code 12. Each code will flash 3 times followed by another code 12. this code 12 indicated that all trouble codes have been displayed. To erase the stored codes remove the negitive pole on the batery for a few minutes. This resets the computer. Here is a list of codes found in my shop manual. I scanned them so I hope you can read them. If not go get a Haynes shop manual.

Hope this helps
John
Old 01-10-2002, 02:51 PM
TJKirby82CE
Racer

Default Re: Check Engine light on, how do I read the codes? (theandies)

Ok, so for example a code 33 would NOT be the light flashing 33 times but it would be three flashes followed by three quick flashes, right? BTW thanks alot for the detailed help. -Travis
:cheers:
Old 01-10-2002, 02:58 PM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so for example a code 33 would NOT be the light flashing 33 times but it would be three flashes followed by three quick flashes, right? BTW thanks alot for the detailed help. -Travis
:cheers:
Yep.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:42 PM
1LE
Drifting

Go to Autozone, they have a little key that they will give you and a sheet with the diag codes. This should work with the older OBD I computer codes.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:07 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Default Re: Check Engine light on, how do I read the codes? (1LE)

Go to Autozone, they have a little key that they will give you and a sheet with the diag codes. This should work with the older OBD I computer codes.
I think that the early monitoring systems (like on an '82) may be pre-OBD.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:24 AM
Casper
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Check Engine light on, how do I read the codes? (Neo Fender)

I don't need that information yet but I'm sure at some point I will so I printed it. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:36 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 754 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Check Engine light on, how do I read the codes? (Neo Fender)

I think that the early monitoring systems (like on an '82) may be pre-OBD.
Correct. 1982 is a pre OBD system. 1980's system is called a C4 (not the C4 Corvette) and 1981 and 82's system is called CCC or C3 (Computer Command Control).
John

[Modified by theandies, 11:37 AM 1/11/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Check Engine light on, how do I read the codes?

Quick Reply: Check Engine light on, how do I read the codes?