C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Many are replacing gauges this winter....I will too...new cobalt gauges..opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 12:48 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Many are replacing gauges this winter....I will too...new cobalt gauges..opinions?

Many are replacing gauges this winter....I will too...new cobalt gauges..opinions, pictures?thanks
check out the new cobalt line of gauges....this is a night shot... http://www.autometer.com/hp/index.html

or more common black face gauges

or the new Lunar line...maybe these are a lil too much.... :lol:

someone has silver faces....that is another neat idea too !

stock is not desired....so opinions of aftermarket are greatly appreciated ...thanks guys.

[Modified by ylose, 11:01 AM 1/10/2002]
Old 01-10-2002, 01:05 PM
KrAzYSnIpEr
Racer

Default Re: Many are replacing gauges this winter....I will too...new cobalt gauges..opinions? (ylose)

i like the lunars, but im partial to blue, hehe

thinking of doing the gauges, dunno yet tho, ima try to get mechanicals done first
Old 01-10-2002, 01:22 PM
terryrudy
Drifting

Default Re: Many are replacing gauges this winter....I will too...new cobalt gauges..opinions? (ylose)

wow, i really like those cobalt guages. I like how the needle stays red as opposed to the lunar guages. Hmm.... maybe haveto look into guages myself. :) haha
-terry
Old 01-10-2002, 01:26 PM
stickben
Instructor

im a computer science major and an electroics geek, im trying to design my own digital guages with LCD display, should be interesting. I like the cobolt ones, gotta love the glowing letters on black background. Anyone know what kind of signal is being sent to the guage cluster? Is the tach gear driven on all years?
Old 01-10-2002, 01:58 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Talked to a friend of mine that had digital gauges in his vette a few years back and he said he'd never do it again. Said they gave him a headache cause he just couldn't get used to em jumping around. I was thinking about digitals for mine but he kinda changed my mind cause the more I thought about it the more I agreed with him. I REALLY like them cobalt's though. Definitely gonna have to look into them.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:04 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Many are replacing gauges this winter....I will too...new cobalt gauges..opinions? (Armstrong)

i really like the cobalt ones too...
Old 01-10-2002, 02:11 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Many are replacing gauges this winter....

I have digital ones in my car now from previous owner....
it sucksors to hit High Revs....the dang thing wont keep up....heh.
...yes...it could be old...or what have you....but I like to see the "red arm swing towards the "RED-LINE"..... :lol: :lol:
Old 01-10-2002, 02:48 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Many are replacing gauges this winter.... (ylose)

The cobalt ones are really nice. Might have to get me a set of them one day!
Old 01-10-2002, 06:04 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Ylose, I just read the email you'd sent. By looking the pic in my sig(hey that rimes, could I be the next Eminem :D ) you can tell that I still got loads of stuff to do. The whole interior is ripped out and the dash is in hands of one of my friends, he is trying to make me custom gauge panels from billet aluminum. I just took one pic of the gauges(still in their boxes) I'll get it developed tomorrow and I can post it to you if you'd like. The gauges I'm using are Autometer Ultra Lites. Don't actually know the back ground colour yet, something I'll looking to more in the future.
Jay :cheers:
Old 01-10-2002, 06:21 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Many are replacing gauges this winter.... (groovyjay)

would love to see a pic.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:35 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok I think next tuesday will be the first day I have access to scanner, so I'll emailed to you when it's ready! :)
Old 01-10-2002, 08:14 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Many are replacing gauges this winter.... (groovyjay)

I liked the idea of the Intellitronix digital gauges (now Nordskog) because they were cheap ($369) versus repairing or replacing the speedo, tach, ammeter and clock on my 76 before it was totalled.

It looked cool at night, but really hard to see during the day with direct sun. It did jump around sometimes.

As for the speedo conversion, you need to buy a sending unit that converts the cable driven output on the transmission to an electrical signal ($69) from summit. The tach on my 76 was electric and wired right up. Everything else was easy to do once I figured out the wiring.

A couple of other guys on the forum have done the nordskog gauges now too. I, myself, wouldn't do it again. I may replace them with aftermarket ones, but won't do digital again. Too much of a hastle.

One nice thing was the instant speedometer recalibration, built in 1/4 mile time and top speed lock. (Not that I had a chance to use them since the car was totalled as soon as I got her running well :cry :cry :cry :cry )

Get notified of new replies

To Many are replacing gauges this winter....I will too...new cobalt gauges..opinions?

Quick Reply: Many are replacing gauges this winter....I will too...new cobalt gauges..opinions?