C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bill Curlee I need your Help! And anyone else!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:14 PM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bill Curlee I need your Help! And anyone else!

Hi! I've been told your the man to ask. So here Goes. I've been having a problem with my 2001 Z06. Car has 22,000 miles and no changes or mods have been done for months.. The dealership had my car for a week and their Corvette Tech couldn't figure it out. Cost me $600 and they didn't fix it.. Car is stuck in Reduced Power Mode and Shows Code P1518 H C. When I go to Start the Car, I key on the Ignition and the Dash lights & Gauges FLASH a couple of times like there's a short or it's not drawing enough voltage? I can hear Relays Clicking. I can't Hear the Fuel Pump Power Up Either like I used to, Then the Car goes into Reduced Power Mode even before I start the Car. The Corvette Tech has tried NEW Battery, Battey Cables, Cleaned the Chassis Grounds on the Frame, Back of the Engine, Checked Starter Motor Wires, Checked Voltage at Fuse #16, Monitor Voltage at Ignition Relay. I cleaned the Chassis Ground Distrubtion Blocks on Bothsides under the Hood. Next I was going to remove the Passenger Side Tire and Check everything at the PCM Area, Grounds Wires..etc am I going to right route? Can you help me? Thanks..

Last edited by slvrzo6; 10-16-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 PM
slvrzo6
Drifting

ttt
Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

slvrzo6

Im sitting hear at my desk in GUAM laughing ny *** off. Not at you but at that retarded technician. Sorry you got raped for $600+ bucks. He needs to go back to GM service tech grade school! Thas just SAD!

"The Corvette Tech has tried NEW Battery, Battey Cables,"
Hope you kept the old good ones! In the Navy, they call troubelshooting like that EASTER EGGING! Expensive way of figuring out whats wrong but if you replace enough parts, you will eventually solve the issue.

"Cleaned the Chassis Grounds on the Frame, Back of the Engine," Ok, not a bad step, sound troubleshooting.

Heres the KICKER that should have keyed him in on the problem!

" When I go to Start the Car, I key on the Ignition and the Dash lights & Gauges FLASH a couple of times like there's a short or it's not drawing enough voltage? "

My friend, if I were you I would rip out the ignition switch your self and do this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...tion+c5+switch

If thats the issue, it will save you $400. Once you get that issue out of the way, CLEAR ALL the DTCs and see what happens. This is the THIRD ignition switch type post that Ive answered this week!

Hope thats all it is. If you check the switch and thats not the issue, I can help you do some more checking. You will need a Volt Meter.

PLEASE let me know how you make out with this repair and for God sake, go KICK that TECH for me would ya!

Bill,,,,,,,,,,,,, In SUNNY GUAM!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I see your on line!!!!

Bill
Old 10-16-2008, 09:03 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

A car with 22K on it and the ignition switch is funky? Seems like a slight longshot (not impossible but does not seem likely). What mods have been made, recent or not??
Old 10-16-2008, 09:09 PM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Thanks Bill. I'm going to Remove the Ignition Switch.. Is there a Tread for removal or is it very easy to do. You should go and look at my Post in the C5 General section for the Last week about the Problem. "Please Help, Car is at the Stealership!!"
Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 PM
sprinter1104
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I see your on line!!!!

Bill
Hey Bill, excuse me for hijacking this thread, but I see your in Guam. I use to spend a fair a amount of time tied up next to the proteus, and even more time at Andy's hut. It's been nearly 30 years, but as I recall it was called Apra Harbour. You any where near there?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by sprinter1104
Hey Bill, excuse me for hijacking this thread, but I see your in Guam. I use to spend a fair a amount of time tied up next to the proteus, and even more time at Andy's hut. It's been nearly 30 years, but as I recall it was called Apra Harbour. You any where near there?
Im staying at OKA Towers in Tolun Bay. Not too far from there! Herd its still there but ive never been there.

Guam is still HOT!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Magred6sp
Instructor

Hey slvrzo6,

Sounds like exactly what I had a month ago. Bill directed me to do the same thing he suggested you do.....the ignition switch. Very easy to do just time consuming. I found the same type of corrosion/on the points that his post shows. I cleaned everything up and made sure the battery terminals were tight (very tight) and everything works like it is supposed to. Good luck! BTW my car is a 01 6spd coupe with all options and only has 26K miles, so it has nothing to do with mileage.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 PM
slvrzo6
Drifting

GREAT I'm going to do it tonight.. Does anyone have a Tread Link to how to remove the ignition switch? And Seperate the Switch from the Tumbler?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Magred6sp
Instructor

Search Bill Curlee Ignition Swith. Great writeup as you would expect from Bill. Good Luck.......Dave
Old 10-17-2008, 03:03 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

HOLY SH*T BATMAN ---> Bill Curlee is the MAN!! I posted my problem Directly to him, He responded, Said it was the "Ignition Switch" AND He was RIGHT!!! I followed the instructions on his Thread. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...tion+c5+switch

Put it all back together and BLAMO!! The Car instantlly came to life.. Cleared all Codes and so far so GOOD!! THANK YOU BILL CURLEE!! I OWE YOU MORE THAN A BEER!! I Also Owe thanks to Jet-Jock, TOQUE, HomeWrecker and dgrant3830. I cannot Believe I spent $600 Dollars at the Dealership for NOTHING!! I'm going to drive to the Dealership tomarrow morning and tell them how BAD a TECH they have and I cannot Believe they let him work on the new ZR1's.. .. I learned a lesson too! Ask the Forum and FIX it your Self.. Here are some Pictures of my Repair.

Some of the Parts and the Ignition Switch on the Table.

This is a Picture of the Inside of the rear of the Ignition Switch, The Contacts behind those Prongs were Black. And I do mean BLACK. Sanded all the Contacts with 400 gritt, used some Di-Electric Grease and put it all back together.

Thanks Again BILL CURLEE, I OWE YOU A STEAK DINNER and DRINKS!!
GOD I LOVE THIS FORUM!

Last edited by slvrzo6; 10-17-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

PAYBACK You be at next years May 09 Corvette Forun Cruise In at the Hampton Inn in Bowling Green KY and shake my hand and we will call it even!

See you there!

Bill Curlee
Old 10-17-2008, 09:01 AM
wdtiger
Instructor

Glad you found and fixed the problem. I'm actually curious now about what the stealership has to say about this.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Gidderdone!!!! nice fix

I would demand the 6 bucks back from the knucklehead

the dealer prolly sees 3 vettes a year
Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Shore
Safety Car

Why would anyone pay for a repair that is not done?

Go get your money.Not like it's $50.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Shore
Why would anyone pay for a repair that is not done?

Go get your money.Not like it's $50.
Have to understand that he is in Illinois: Home of the thieves (political & otherwise) - wait until BO gets in the white house, and just try to hold onto your wallet. How many former IL governors have served time?

Congrats, and great to have a resource like Bill!

Plasticman

Last edited by Plasticman; 10-17-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bill Curlee I need your Help! And anyone else!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:22 AM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todays corvette enthusiastis are fortunate to have a corvette forum to turn to and to have individuals who are willing to share that info. for free,when you have something and somebody needs it you pay.Guys like BC and a host of others could probablly charge for on line diagnosis but they help for free we are lucky to have knowledge and experience passed on to us.I write this to say thanks to all who share their wisdom. They are what makes the forum great!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:27 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

First off, THANK YOU AGAIN BILL CURLEE..
Second, I should have took my camera to the Dealership this morning,

SO I COULD OF TOOK A PICTURE OF THE TECH AND SERVICE MANAGERS FACES WHEN I PULL UP IN THE Z RIGHT INSIDE THEIR SERVICE BAY AREA..!! They were speachless.. They had the Car for a WEEK, (14 shop hours) and couldn't figure it out.. I told them exactly how I fixed it.

And that a MAN I never met before was able to trouble shoot the problem over the internet in seconds. I printed out a Color copy of Bill Curlee's Thread and handed it to the TECH.. The look on his face was PRICELESS.. It was hard being Polite to them, but I was.. ALL IN ALL it payed off.. They Manager refunded me $300.00. So I do owe you BILL, I sold a copy of your One of your THREADs for $300.00.. I'll bet you could sell a Complete TECH HANDBOOK with Pictures of all your knowledge to GM for Millions.. I'll see you next year At bowling Green and Dinner is ON me.. I still took today off work.. So now I'm going to go enjoy my Vet.. So all in all this was only a $300 Lesson Learned.. FIX IT YOURSELF and Ask the FORUM!! BILL THANKS ONE MORE TIME!!
The following users liked this post:
crazybillss (07-14-2020)
Old 10-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Vette Ed
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Bill is the MAN!!!

Quick Reply: Bill Curlee I need your Help! And anyone else!