C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Illinois Emissions Requirments

Old 01-10-2002, 10:49 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Illinois Emissions Requirments

With all the posts recently about true duals, CC removal, inspections etc etc... I was wondering what the Illinois laws were concerning emissions testing. HOW FAR BACK IN YEARS DO THEY GO BEFORE YOU ARE NO LONGER REQUIRED TO TEST?? Will my 77 be required to pass emisions? Owned it only 5 months.
p.s. My exhaust it still stock..... for now!!! :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-10-2002, 10:56 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Illinois Emissions Requirments (Silvr77)

Depending on how much you use it, you might want to look into getting it classified as a limited use vehicle - show car/race car deal. That's what I do, and I'm no where near being emissions compliant as far as having the required emissions equipment installed. No emissions testing, you just have to aplly for a waiver every two years. You're suppossedly limited to 3000 miles per year, and must show proof of insurance saying it's limited or 'pleasure use' only, with limited mileage.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:41 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the posts recently about true duals, CC removal, inspections etc etc... I was wondering what the Illinois laws were concerning emissions testing. HOW FAR BACK IN YEARS DO THEY GO BEFORE YOU ARE NO LONGER REQUIRED TO TEST?? Will my 77 be required to pass emisions? Owned it only 5 months.
p.s. My exhaust it still stock..... for now!!! :cheers: :cheers:
maybe you should move up here, change your football team love, and not worry 'bout it ! I don't ! :smash: :smash:

:D
Old 01-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Illinois Emissions Requirments (ylose)

I am glad we do not have to deal with that crap here in Ga..........
Old 01-10-2002, 12:26 PM
Don73
Advanced

I have a 73, and had to go through emission testing last summer. (PITA) The state tests cars all the way back to model year 1968. The test facility does not check for equipment, but does a tail pipe sniffer test. If you fail that, your car goes on the tread mill for testing.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:18 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Illinois Emissions Requirments (Monty)

Depending on how much you use it, you might want to look into getting it classified as a limited use vehicle - show car/race car deal.
Thanks Monty, thats exactly how I have it insured. My Insurance Co classify's it as Anitque... Limited milage, (3K yr. to and from shows and parades)... with small premiums. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

YLOSE... If you guys can get past the 49'rs... see ya in three weeks at Soldier Field
Old 01-10-2002, 02:41 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

if this weather comes back to what it was on WED....we can both RACE to the field.... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-10-2002, 04:39 PM
vettesite
Burning Brakes

I passed the IL sniffer test with my mods (see sig) but I had to "be creative" to get it to pass. I retarded initial timming to around 2-4 degrees, raised the idle to 1200 rpm (I think 1300 is the max), got as much fresh air into the engine by removing PCV from valve cover and removing the air filter, and got the engine real hot and did not shut it off in line. The engine was also just rebuilt so it's burining really clean.

They did not do a visual inspection so they didn't care about the cats that fell off. I would fail the treadmill but I don't have to do that because only 1981 and newer vettes (computerized) have to go on the treadmill they rest get the pipe sniffer.
Old 01-10-2002, 05:25 PM
trs77
Racer

Hey Silvr77. As long as you're running with regular plates and live in a testing area, you will always have to pass IL emissions. A/V plates are for 25+ year old cars and will exempt you from testing, but you are restricted from normal driving. Apparently, you can only drive on A/V plates to shows and other special events, but from what I've "heard", this is rarely enforced.

Still, a good running engine will pass the lenient idle-only test on our cars, but you will probably need the cat. The only tests are for HC and CO, both of which are primarily reduced by the cat.

In my case, I actually swapped on my original exhaust with cat for the test and then went back to the true dual after. Since the test is every two years, its worth the work.

Don't worry about a visual. They didn't even look under my car for the cat, although I would not risk that myself.

Do you have a test coming up? It should have already been tested before you got it, since they test odd year cars in odd years, even in even.

tom
Old 01-10-2002, 05:47 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

If it's not a daily driver get the A/V plates, that's what I did. I've never seen it truly enforced. I'll see all sorts of A/V plates on out on a nice Sunday or Saturday afternoon just cruising. I wouldn't try driving it to work during running rush hour in a rainstorm, that might look a little suspicious. Only supposed to be used for shows or driven to repair facilities, but as I said I've never seen it enforced and I see lots of these plates out besides mine around the St.Louis area.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 01-10-2002, 06:45 PM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Illinois Emissions Requirments (73 LS-4)

also note...
I slapped collector plates on....never have to repay the DMV again either...
one flat fee...forever
Old 01-11-2002, 10:13 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Thanks for all the info guys. I am considering installing true duals, and am gathering all info at this time. Sounds like A/V plates are the way to go next year when I renew. She turns 25 this yr. so I guess I'll wait. I realy don't drive it to work or for errands, cause of morons in the parking lots! I already have it insured properly... just gott-a get the plates to match. Wish I knew this from the beginning.... Everyday is a learning day.... thanks again!
Hey Tom S... where ya been????
Go BEARS.. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-11-2002, 11:08 AM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey ... your right arounf the corner from me ... and I'm facing the same thing ... got the insurance but decided to go with regular plates because I like to drive mine to work on Fridays ... I anticipating the notice this year and think I'm gonna have a problem ... my motor is freshly rebuilt and only has a slight cam for mods, but it's a BB and I can't imagine that passing. It's a '72 so it has always had true duals and cats didn't exist back then ...
Old 01-11-2002, 03:37 PM
trs77
Racer

Default Re: Illinois Emissions Requirments (sray454)

Hey sray... you should be ok, especially with a rebuild. Just make sure the carb is dialed in (lean it out if you have to). A shop with an exhaust gas analyzer might help ease your worries. And, your standards are more lenient than those for our 77s. Plus, you have very few emissions devices (not even EGR, I think).

Here's some "interesting" reading. :lol: It includes some charts with the current standards.
http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/g..._elements.html

[Modified by trs77, 1:38 PM 1/11/2002]
Old 01-11-2002, 03:55 PM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Illinois Emissions Requirments (trs77)

Hey "White Beast - I know you". Talked to you last year at MickyD's cruise night ...

I hope your right about the emmission thing ... your right about the lack of emission controls, the car came with the PVC and an AIR pump, but the AIR pump is long gone, so basically i've got NO emission control stuff ... boy I hope your right because I do not want the A/V plate hassle ... and I've got vanity plates -> "SRAY454" <- that I'd hate to loose ...

Do you know silvr77 - in wildwood too - must be in your backyard ???
Old 01-11-2002, 10:02 PM
79er
Racer

Default Re: Illinois Emissions Requirments (sray454)

Well my 79 is originally from IL. All I have to say is "Come West Come West" Iowa not emissions test at all.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:38 PM
NK77
Intermediate

I just passed the IL emissions with no problem. I have true duals with no cats, performer manifold and non-emissions Holley carb on my 77' L-82. They check your gas cap and have you do just an idle test. I put in regular unleaded gas, retarded the timing and set the idle up over 1000 rpm. I never thought it would pass, went to the Schaumburg facility. Good Luck
Old 01-12-2002, 01:59 PM
Harry74
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a fairly well built 355 in my '74 and just dialed in a lean mixture, retarded timing, and a 1100rpm idle and passed with no problems. Of course the digital FI helps to keep it running clean :lol:

Illinois is pretty easy to pass, they were more concerned with my gas cap then anything else! Of course if they had popped the hood it might have been a different story.

-harry

ps: Read your insurance carefully before using A/V plates. If you are in an accident and cannot prove you were in a parade or in route to a show some insurance companies will not pay out!
Old 01-13-2002, 01:47 AM
FERL 73
Pro

You can pay a $20 fee and pre test your car. It does not certify your vehicle. Pay the $20, pretest your car and if it passes turn around and immediately drive through again for the "real" test. If you fail you at least have an idea how far off you are.

Get notified of new replies

To Illinois Emissions Requirments

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Illinois Emissions Requirments