C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Doors on a 79

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 10:19 AM
SteveA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Doors on a 79

Wish to remove the doors on my 79 for paint & body. Have electric windows/locks. Whats the best way to remove. Thinking I should remove the access plate,disconnect the plugs from the switches, and pull the wiring out of the door. But then I'll have a dangling wiring harness to contend with when I'm painting the jam. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:23 AM
Fleetwood
Pro

Default Re: Removing Doors on a 79 (SteveA)

Best way is to leave the hinges on the door post,& remove hinge bolts from the door,easier to remove door that way,just slides off.
But first remove rubber conduit from the door,pull as much of the window/lock wiring as far into the interior of the car as you can,unfortunately the connectors are to big to pull through the rubber conduit.Use masking tape & newspaper to mask off the conduit & remaining wires.
I just painted the door surround & the door well & post, then put the door back on,realign all the gaps correctly,& painted the doors on the car.That way you will not damage the paint work when you refit the door.
Old 01-10-2002, 12:20 PM
SteveA
Advanced

Default Re: Removing Doors on a 79 (Fleetwood)

Thanks for the response.
Old 01-10-2002, 10:21 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Removing Doors on a 79 (SteveA)

Steve; I have found that it is much easier to realign the doors if you do not unbolt both hinges. I unbolted the top hinge from the door, but I removed the hinge pin from the bottom hinge. That way when you reinstall the door the height at the front is already correct. All you need to do is is adjust the top hinge to set the rear door gap. As far as the wire harness, I used aluminum foil and taped it to the masking paper that was covering the door opening. It is easy to apply and remove. Good Luck, Craig :chevy
Old 01-10-2002, 11:33 PM
Fleetwood
Pro

Default Re: Removing Doors on a 79 (CF6873)

Craig,thats a good idea about the hinges,I must remember that one.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:52 AM
SteveA
Advanced

Default Re: Removing Doors on a 79 (Fleetwood)

Thanks again. I'll keep checking for a loophole to rid myself of the wiring if I can.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Doors on a 79

Quick Reply: Removing Doors on a 79