C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 09:20 AM
73 Teach's Pet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake

Looking for a good readily available, but not overly caustic or hazzardous product to clean the oxidation from a used Edelbrock Performer intake. Also, how about a suggestion who may carry this product and be able to find it locally. I would like to install the intake this weekend, and so hope to find a product that can work in a few hours or overnight without having to give it much of my attention.
Be Cool
"TEACH"
Old 01-10-2002, 09:46 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake (73 Teach's Pet)

Me too.

I just sandblasted, wire wheeled, and then polished a Z28 intake and it was a nasty job (wear a partical mask). I had to remove the heat shield and then re-attach it with 8-32 screws after tapping the holes. It looks better than new... not a single stain or flaw. I almost want to hang it on the wall as an art exhibit.

I wish I had a magic chemical too. But the only thing I've found so far that does an awesome job is elbow grease. :)

Old 01-10-2002, 09:49 AM
mulchie
Instructor

Default Re: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake (Tom454)

Check out OEM paints website. I believe that they still sell an aluminum cleaner.
http://www.oempaints.com
Old 01-10-2002, 10:16 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake (mulchie)

Yeh... I tried all of those cleaners... they leave a spotty, blemished finish that does not approximate the factory look, and cannot be polished very well because of the blemishes. They also do not remove deeply oxidized pits (which may not be an issue here).

I tried the chems.. I really did. I bought nearly all of them. Then I bought a sandblaster. No competition. Just trying to give you the benefit of my own wasted time & money. Not being a wise donkey.
Old 01-10-2002, 10:34 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake (Tom454)

Yea, I've tried about everything at one time or another to clean aluminum intakes. You can never get them back to that "new" look. Anything that actually cleans them usually darkens the aluminum also :cheers:
Old 01-10-2002, 10:59 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake (73 Teach's Pet)

I used to use Eagle MAg Wheel Cleaner on my Superram. It had phosphoric acid in it I beleive, and really brightens it up, it definitely doesn't turn it dark. It make it a little brighter or whiter than original though.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:02 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake (Monty)

Teach... you have mail... pics.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:58 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plain old Lye ( draino) will strip off any oxidation and even anodizing. It does bring out the grain a little tho. And after your soak it neutralise it in a mild acid ( I use battery acid and water but Muratic or even vinegar might work ) this makes the black coating just wash off...
Old 01-10-2002, 03:22 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake (427V8)

has anyone tried that oxyclean stuff thats on tv all the time... some body said they used it on their wheels and it took everything right off... not sure if works... just passing the info :jester
Old 01-10-2002, 04:03 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake (ZD75blue)

I used Mothers Wheel Cleaner for gas stains on my intake.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:25 PM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake (Paul 75 L82)

some time ago a guy on the forum recommended baking soda for the job......

Haven´t tried it so far, but probably someone else?
Old 01-10-2002, 06:08 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake (454Big)

Tom454 is right...blasting is the way to go. You can take it to your local machine shop & they'll probably do it for less than $20. Its worth it. Unless the intake is almost spotless to begin with, wimpy chemicals like wheel cleaners will be a waste of your time & money.

Mark
Old 01-10-2002, 06:32 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

see if there is a Trailmobile semi trailer dealer in your area. If there is get a product called "Trailer Brite" It is used to clean the rails on semi trailers that are oxidized. Really good stuff.
The following users liked this post:
trower (12-31-2021)
Old 01-10-2002, 09:40 PM
73 Teach's Pet
Instructor

Well,
Muratic acid is NOT the answer. I thought of using draino, but figured that stronger would be better....wrong. I mixed up the acid in a huge plastic storage container, double strength. Again, with the false logic stronger is better. My test piece was a really terribly oxidozed cracked up aluminum Vette valve cover I was given at a swap meet because nobody wanted it since it really was junk and only good for practicing aluminum welding repairs. The acid reacted with such intensity that it looked like an Alkaselzer. The valve cover was turned black. I thought maybe this was because of the heavy oxidation so I put in another mildly stained, but good aluminum valve cover. It too turned black and needed to be scoured with a scotch brite pad to remove the blackened coating. I'm glad I didn't soak the intake and screw it up, else I would have been doing a confessional on Bence's post about learning things the hardway. I don't think the intake will fit in my small blasting cabnet which is why that is not my first option. No one in our area sand blasts either.
I know that I saw a stand at Fall Carlisle with a guy selling a variety of products to remove aluminum oxidation, ranging from mild to intense, like I am looking for. Now I could kick myself for not buying some.

Still looking for the magic answer. Keep the great advice options coming in. I have another day to decide how to achieve my goal.
Many thanks to the folks who have chimed in with a number of options.
Be cool!
"TEACH"
Old 01-10-2002, 10:37 PM
soundguy
Racer

>>some time ago a guy on the forum recommended baking soda for the job......

I don't know about using it as a cleaning chemical, but soda makes a dandy blasting medium for soft metals. It cuts like a knife thru paint & oxidization, but won't remove base metal, so it doesn't give aluminum a 'polished' look, just makes it look new.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:59 PM
Matt M
Instructor

Default Re: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake (soundguy)

Sand blast the intake with something fine. Then clear-coat it. It will look great and clean easy.

Matt
Old 01-11-2002, 12:25 AM
69shark
Melting Slicks

Location: Godspeed Mikey Hogsmak Invitational Spring Skyline Drive Corvette Cruise
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Teach, I had my brand new performer ceramic coated like they do headers. It looks great and will never oxidize, it only cost 100.00. by Airborne Coatings.

[Modified by 69shark, 11:25 PM 1/10/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake

Old 01-11-2002, 12:25 AM
bungoo2u
Intermediate

Default Re: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake (Matt M)

I've always wondered about sandblasting or glassbeading the intake and then clear coating it. Does the regular clear coat hold up to the heat of the intake or is there a high temp clear coat available?
Old 01-11-2002, 12:27 AM
69shark
Melting Slicks

Location: Godspeed Mikey Hogsmak Invitational Spring Skyline Drive Corvette Cruise
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake (bungoo2u)

Check out http://www.airborncoatings.com/
Old 01-11-2002, 12:58 AM
rmadlem
Burning Brakes

Look up a local foodservice chemical distributor........ie; Ecolab. They all have an aluminum cleaner which is phosphoric acid based. I sold these chemicals for ten years and used to use it on the aluminum rails on box trucks.....made the aluminum look like new with no pits or darkening. Do NOT use hydrochloric or muratic acid!!! :nono:
Oh.......and don't breathe the vapors either!!!
Good Luck

Quick Reply: Need a good readily available chemical to brighten oxided aluminum intake