C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Differential questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 03:26 AM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Removing Differential questions

Nothing left in the back but the differential, and it's coming out. There are no halfshafts and no driveshaft to deal with. I see the differential is bolted to a cross member from the top side. the differential is also held to the frame with a plate that has a large nut (15/16"?) at one end at 4 sttachments to the assembly. The cross member appears to be held in place by two bolts.

Here's how I see it:

Place jack with large square of wood under the differential assembly. jack up until snug. Remove large nut, remove two bolts at each end of cross member. Lower assembly down on jack.

Is there anything more to this? Can it be this simple?

Thanks,

B-L88
Old 01-10-2002, 03:36 AM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Removing Differential questions (BAD-L88)

My jack is never goes high enough so I usually shim it up under a couple of blocks of wood. Otherwise it's pretty self explanitory.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:37 AM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Are the exhaust and suspension all removed? If so you've got it made. I'm changing my carrier right now, and fighting with all that stuff still in place. The big nut in front on mine was 11/16" attached to a bolt with a 5/8" head that I had to reach through and hold with a wrench. The crossmember bolts can be tough(rusty), but you're right, there's only the two and you can drop the carrier, cover, and crossmember as one unit. Have a friend handy if possible, it helps.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:49 AM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Removing Differential questions (ORVette)

No suspension, no exhaust, nothing but Diff. I still can't believe it will be this simple.

I could not get my 7/8" on the nut, I pretty sure it is 15/16'.

[Modified by BAD-L88, 11:55 PM 1/9/2002]
Old 01-10-2002, 07:59 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sometimes the x-member rubber doughnuts don't want to let go and you have to pry. i attached a 2x4 to my jack with a type of strapping material we have at work and then placed it under the pumpkin and strapped the diff to the 2x4 and jack. it just adds some stability,you don't want to "lose" this as your are getting it out from under the car. or you can separate the front part of the pumpkin,and pull it out and let it fall on your chest and then "wiggle" out from under the car like i did the first time,but i wouldn't recommend it. gosh,we used to put trannys in that same way years ago,gettting old is a " ditch", ya know!
Old 01-10-2002, 08:24 AM
Maco Shark
Burning Brakes

I've done this a bunch, and may I suggest that you spray around the rubber with some sort of penetrating stuff.The crossmember may drop easily, but I have had to use a "ladys foot" in order to help it release from the rubber.
Just take your time, its no biggie.
Good luck.
Old 01-10-2002, 08:50 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The crossmember doesn't come out of the rubber that easy. Mine has been in and out at least 6 times this winter and it still needs persuation each time. I do not pry it out with a long bar, there are too many risks. Loosen the two bolts but leave them in to catch the carrier once you have broken it loose then take 2 large chissels and use them like pickle forks between the frame and crossmember and drive them in carefully on each side of the crossmember breaking it loose from it's mount allowing it to drop onto the bolt that you just loosened. Work one side at a time. Also loosen the front differential bolt but leave it in also. After you break the crossmember loose you can install the jack, remove the bolts and lower the rearend.
Good luck
Old 01-10-2002, 09:09 AM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Removing Differential questions (norvalwilhelm)

Like Norval said, they can need some persuasion. I recall someone posting a long while ago thet they loosened the bolt and used a gear puller to grab the sides of the crossmember and pull it down.

I wish I would have known all this before I pulled my diff out 3 years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Differential questions

Quick Reply: Removing Differential questions