C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission - B&M Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 01:23 AM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission - B&M Installed

I've had the kit for a couple days and it was killing me to look at it sit in the package. I finally went to work on it with a friend this afternoon. After reading the directions we were a little scared, but knew his dad could help us out if we had any problems. But it wasn't bad at all. After one mistake at the very beginning with the pan dropping and fluid pouring out everywhere :lol: it became pretty easy. For anyone wishing to do this, I say go for it. Its not a bad procedure. Took us about 4 hours. The only trouble we had was getting the pin to go back in one of the linkages. When we were done we were surprised that the car shifted through all of the gears. It shifts very nice and crisp now. Its nice to hear a little chirp when I get on it now too. I'd say this is definitely a cheap, easy, and fun mod you may want to go through with.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:04 AM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Transmission - B&M Installed (VTHokie77Vette)

Shift Improver or Trans Pak? I've put in a couple of the shift improver kits and I think they work great. Wondered how much more involved the Trans Pak install was. I currently have a $75 "stage 2" transmission shop mystery "kit" in my Corvette, and I think the $25 B&M improver in my Monte Carlo is way superior.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:17 AM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

Default Re: Transmission - B&M Installed (ORVette)

I installed the Shift Improver. What does the Trans Pak do? I think the shift improver was definitely worth the money.
Old 01-10-2002, 02:29 AM
ORVette
Burning Brakes

From what I understand, The Trans Pak does the same as the Shift Improver, plus allows you to downshift to any gear at any RPM, and hold any gear to any RPM. The way my 'Vette is now(TH400), even if I pull it into low and hold it there, it will up-shift to second at 4800RPM. It's probably as high as I need to go, but I'd like to know I could keep it there until 5K if I want to. Strange, I can wrap second to over 5K and it wont up-shift 'till I shift it.
Old 01-10-2002, 03:08 AM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

Default Re: Transmission - B&M Installed (ORVette)

Hmmm, that's interesting. When I'm shifting mine (TH-350) manually, it'll hold until I shift. I heard that I'm not supposed to hold it in 1st with a shift kit. Do you or anyone else know anything about this. I did it anyway and it was fine. Any tips on how to drive and shift with a shift kit so I don't break anything?
Old 01-10-2002, 07:18 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Congrats.

Did you put an adjustable vacuum modulator on while you were under there?
Old 01-10-2002, 10:20 AM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

Default Re: Transmission - B&M Installed (jerryp58)

Nope. What is that? Is that to adjust your shift points?
Old 01-10-2002, 10:44 AM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Yes :D
Old 01-10-2002, 11:52 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Transmission - B&M Installed (Intimidator454)

I used to love my transpak...it shifted so fast....I had stage II

this help ????

The next step beyond the Shift Improver Kit. The Transpak has all the features in the Shift Improver Kit plus it provides additional driver manual control. Most conventional automatic transmissions won’t downshift into low gear above 15 mph, and automatically upshift at a predetermined speed no matter what gear you are in. With a Transpak you can downshift any speed, you can also hold the transmission in first gear to any speed that you want (except C-4, AOD, TH-200-4R, TH-700-R4 & 4L60E). This is an asset when towing a trailer or driving heavy loads downhill.

Stage-1 Heavy Duty
For towing, street rods, off-road vehicles, campers, motorhomes, trailers, police, taxi, normal passenger vehicles or other heavy duty use. Firmer shift feel but not harsh. Improves transmission performance and life dramatically without loss of comfort. Full manual downshifts when desired; normal automatic operation when in ''Drive''.
Stage-2 Hi-Performance Street
For full performance street use. Essentially the same as RV/Heavy Duty mode except shift is much snappier. Retain full automatic features and standard shift points with selector in ''Drive''.
Stage-3 Full Competition(except TH-7OO, TH-350 & C-6 only)
For racing applications. Features a full competition shift and higher shift points. Very hard shifts and high shift points make this mode unsuitable for street use. Maintains automatic shift feature.

Old 01-10-2002, 04:05 PM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

Default Re: Transmission - B&M Installed (ylose)

Thanks ylose. The Trans Pak sounds like a good improvement.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:18 PM
vettesite
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Transmission - B&M Installed (ylose)

I've got the Transpak Set to Stage 2 and love it. It does take some getting used to. It shifts hard and fast. No loss of torque! :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission - B&M Installed

Quick Reply: Transmission - B&M Installed