C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP engine guru's: stupid mistake involving sand

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 04:31 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP engine guru's: stupid mistake involving sand

I have noticed a pattern here on the forum. So often, some of us start out with uh-oh. Well my uh-oh was just plain stupidity and lack of attention to detail. I sand blasted my windshield frame and POR-15'd it. That job came out great. Anyhow, it was getting dark, and I just covered the car up and left it. Went to move it Saturday, and did not even check to see where all the sand went from blasting (it goes everywhere you know). I had failed to reinstall the breather prior to blasting. I started the car and let it run for about 5 mins. However, when I got out and look at the carb, I could spotted sand on both secondary butterflies. I do not know if any sand entered the engine. A lot of sand could have entered or none, or somewhere in between. What should I do? :bb :bb :bb
Old 01-09-2002, 04:42 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: HELP engine guru's: stupid mistake involving sand (MoneyPit)

Change the oil and pray. Really all you can do.

Old 01-09-2002, 05:13 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Re: HELP engine guru's: stupid mistake involving sand (zwede)

I'd keep my fingers crossed that it just landed on the secondaries. They shouldn't open when the cars not in gear.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:16 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: HELP engine guru's: stupid mistake involving sand (Golden80)

Also Stick a Vacuum hose down the intake!
Maybe even remove the carb to do a better job, the sand my be just lying there waiting to be sucked into the engine :U:U:U
Old 01-09-2002, 05:41 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: HELP engine guru's: stupid mistake involving sand (427V8)

Uhhh, if you stick a vacuum hose down the intake, you'd better make sure you're hooked up to an 'air' vac and not an electric one. Would make a nice torch when gas fumes hit the shop vac motor.... :eek: My thought here; take the carb off, that way you can look around the intake. Yes sand may be just sitting there, but at least use air and some WD-40 or contact cleaner or something to clean the butterflys and venturis. Just a thought here though, you left a breather off? Like the valve cover breather? Or are you referring to the air cleaner? If it's a valve cover breather I would take the cover off and look it over closly. Drain/change oil and filter a couple times at least. When oil drain plug is out, squirt some solvent in there and see if you can get any sediment out. If it was me, I'd take the pan off for sure.

[Modified by MasterDave, 1:44 PM 1/9/2002]

[Modified by MasterDave, 1:47 PM 1/9/2002]
Old 01-09-2002, 05:45 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Default Re: HELP engine guru's: stupid mistake involving sand (427V8)

Thanks for the replies. Is there anything more than changing the oil. Looking on the bright side, I guess I can spend about 3500 I don't have and get that ZZ4 that I wanted. I am hoping for the best. 34 years with bubba couldn't kill her (almost did though, it is 30 over) maybe she is good for a few more miles.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:57 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Default Re: HELP engine guru's: stupid mistake involving sand (MasterDave)

MasterDave,
I left the air breather/cleaner/filter off (not the air breather in the valve cover). I had it off while cranking the car earlier in the day. I just shut the hood, and forgot that it was off. I have an aftermarket L-88 with an open cowl area. When I blasted the windshield frame, sand went everywhere. Luckily, the MoneyPit is down to the fiberglass in the interior.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:27 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Money Pit,

All good advice here from fellow forum members. I might add a little to the changing oil saga. I'd change the oil right now, run it a little while (at idle) and then change the oil again. Another 100 miles or so and change the oil one more time. You might want to take the oil pan off and blow it out good after all this too. Good luck! Was impressed with your web site.

'74 Turbocharged 350, "Molested to Perfection," class of '71

[Modified by Shutdown1, 11:09 PM 1/9/2002]
Old 01-09-2002, 07:22 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Default Re: HELP engine guru's: stupid mistake involving sand (Shutdown1)

Shutdown1,
Thanks for the advice, but I don't have a web site, maybe when I get through with the 'pit
Old 01-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

....Hmmm. You don't have a website? Must be another "Moneypit" with a Vette restoration website I saw recently. And hey! -getting sand in that engine is better than seashells or octopus parts! Regards

'74 Turbocharged 350 "Molested to Pefection," class of '71

Get notified of new replies

To HELP engine guru's: stupid mistake involving sand

Quick Reply: HELP engine guru's: stupid mistake involving sand