C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 02:28 PM
SteveA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting

Planning on painting my 79. Original color is white. Was going to use PPG basecoat/clearcoat system. Any problem with this paint on fiberglass? Is there a strict limit on how many clear coats to eliminate possibility of cracking on fiberglass? Also replacing my rear bumper, but am concerned about using urethane. Would FB be the better way to go? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:38 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Painting (SteveA)

1st of all you need to go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and print off Lars's instruction paper on Corvette Painting. This is the Bible. I did everything that Lars's said and it turned out great. Go to:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=205923
for my complete list of parts used for the job.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:09 PM
73 Teach's Pet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Painting (SteveA)

Steve,
If you do some post searching you will find a variety of responses to quality and fit of fiberglass bumpers. I did that same kind of post search research and thought that a Truflex fiberglass bumper was the ticket and a money saver. Though, I did save a chunk of change instead of buying the $550 polyurethane original bumper, I was incredibly disappointed with the fit, the front bumper is about 1/4" short width wise across the front of my 73.
Personally, I think these bumpers SUCK!!!!! I bought my bumper cover at swap meet, and so got no receipt. Even so, I had to do so much trimming and fitting to find that it is CRAP, that I figured I would stuck with it anyway,which is why I didn't try to return.
Do your homework and be prepared for disappointments either way, or pay a pro to do the job, so you can ensure they make you happy with the fit, and they have the frustration and not you BEFORE you have it painted.
Class your homework WILL be checked, so make sure you do your research assignment!
Be cool!
"TEACH"

Get notified of new replies

To Painting

Quick Reply: Painting