C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnafluxing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 10:56 AM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnafluxing question

I know what magnafluxing is (i think) but this quesion came up at lunch the other day. OK you get a block and have it magnafluxed to check for small cracks and inperfections. If you find none, great! Get building! However what if you find a crack. If it's a used block then are you SOL? If it's a new block purchased from a vendor will they replace it. Whould you have to argue what is a "critical crack" and what is "normal".

When you read a engine building article in a magzie they say "we magnafluxed, hot tanked etc... the block and then get started building it up. They never mention what would happen if they found a critical crack.

Just curious...It'll be good knowledge for when I get around to replacing the SB with the correct BB.

[Modified by Monkeywrench, 9:57 AM 1/9/2002]
Old 01-09-2002, 11:05 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Magnafluxing question (Monkeywrench)

If I found a major crack I would begin making my SB chevy mailbox.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:10 AM
Neo Fender
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen rods magnafluxed but I've never seen an entire block done. I've heard of cracked blocks being welded but the problem I see is what if the crack caused some critical dimension (piston bore, bore center, crank centerline, etc.) to shift?
Old 01-09-2002, 12:30 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Magnafluxing question (Neo Fender)

I've seen rods magnafluxed but I've never seen an entire block done. I've heard of cracked blocks being welded but the problem I see is what if the crack caused some critical dimension (piston bore, bore center, crank centerline, etc.) to shift?
Someone on the forum mentioned having the block done so that's why I mentioned it. But what if you find cracks. Do vendors guarentee their blocks/rods etc...
Old 01-09-2002, 01:08 PM
JYD69_427
Advanced

No one in their right mind would proceed forward with a rebuild without first checking the block for cracks. Finding a crack after investing $5k in machining and rebuild costs is not good for your wallet or sanity.

Normally, the block is hot-tanked or, more common these days, baked to remove the crud. Then it is magnafluxed to check for cracks. An electromagnet is applied to the block and ferrous metal filings are puffed out of an applicator at the block. Cracks show up readily when the filings line up along the fracture.

What is done when a crack is found depends on; location of the crack and cost of replacement. If the crack is in a repairable location, the next question is, is it worth the cost? For example, if you have a numbers matching block for a rare combo, you might be more inclined to spend a few bucks on a repair versus buying a new one.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnafluxing question

Quick Reply: Magnafluxing question