C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gage face color

Old 01-09-2002, 08:35 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Default Gage face color

I looked close at the tech and speedo on my 71' and noticed that the tach had light green numbers and the speedo had white. Is this correct or has someone "tinkered" with the speedo?
Old 01-09-2002, 09:08 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gage face color (Duke94)

I think someone probably replaced the speedo with a 72-77 unit.
It's my understanding that all the gauges in 68-71 should have light green lettering. 72 and beyond got white lettering.
Anybody wanna confirm this?
Old 01-09-2002, 12:00 PM
Garys '68
Racer

Yup, 68-71 very light green. 72 and up white. I found out when I noticed my oil pressure guage was replaced. BTW, they probably used the white because they're cheaper and easier to get.
Gary
Old 01-09-2002, 12:41 PM
Drache
Instructor

Default Re: Gage face color (lbell101)

I have a later (April 29th) '71. All my gauges are white markings on a black background. Now a previous owner could have replaced all of them, but there is so much else on the car that appears original (or easy fixes, leaving the hard to find or replace stuff original), I kinda doubt it.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:49 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Gage face color (71 BHG 454)

Hey Jim!

Are you absolutely sure? I thought mine were white too. I even got in an arguement with a vendor when I bought a new oil pressure guage. I insisted on a white one even though he insisted it should be green. Then when it came in I could see that the lettering is VERY light green. When I compared the two it was obvious - but not before! So I had to exchange it for a green one. Of course the green one is too green and doesn't match either :(

The other possibility is that they started to change over sometime between our cars.

Saw your car on a car voting site the other day. I gave you a 10!
Old 01-09-2002, 01:40 PM
Drache
Instructor

Default Re: Gage face color (lbell101)

Well sonofa, I guess I'm not sure. Before I posted, I looked at them really closely with one of those bazillion candlepower spotlights, just to be sure. I couldn't detect a hint of green. After your post, I inspected them again closely with a fluorescent lamp. Unfortunately I can't get it in direct sun until spring and the sun rises over the trees. :sad: The gauges still looked white... until I glanced at the white "PUSH" letters on the seat belt lamp switch. In comparison, I can detect a hint of greenishness (greeniosity?) in the gauge letters, not even as green as the "white" tritium paint on a watch or compass. But I guess I see what you mean. I checked them again under the tungsten light, and they still look white! I would have never thought of that as green, but I don't have green and non-green gauges side-by-side to compare, like you did. Plus, my car is so GREEN it makes grass look like typing paper :cool:

Thanks for voting! http://www.hotrideornot.com/cgi-bin/...de.cgi?sid=770 Some day I'll take it and the SS out for family portraits.

[Modified by 71 BHG 454, 12:42 PM 1/9/2002]
Old 01-09-2002, 02:54 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

When the gages are next to each other, it's easy to see the difference. When I pulled the gage cluster, it looked like the speedo had been removed (bubba used wrong size wrench). This car was suppose to have 20K miles, but I've found a few other anomolies that make me wonder. Reman starter, alternator, windshield plus the whole dash seems to have been apart before. Also, all 3 motor mounds were broken (this has only the base 270HP engine). I have written to the previous owner to just get some owner history, and he has not responded. Must have something to hide. The dealer had a signed mileage discloser from the guy.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:16 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Gage face color (71 BHG 454)

Hey Jim!

That's about what it looks like. Just a low greeniosity effect :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Gage face color

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gage face color