C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dimming headlights and slow headlight pop-up

Old 01-09-2002, 01:38 AM
VetteKitty
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dimming headlights and slow headlight pop-up

Another issue I've noticed is when the heater & headlights are on and the car is driving, the headlights dim a little and the Gen. light is dimly lit.

Could this be an alternator problem? (if it were a toyota I could tell-cause the radios lose reception before the car dies!)

The other one is the headlights pop up slowly, driver's side first, then passenger side as soon as the 1st one is all the way up-is that normal?
Old 01-09-2002, 03:52 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dimming headlights and slow headlight pop-up (VetteKitty)

With the headlights dimming out and the gen light glowing, it seems like it would be a good time to get the charging system checked out. Also a bad belt or one thats too loose could cause charging problems too. Also make sure the engine to frame ground strap is still in place.

I think its normal for the headlights to pop up the way you describe. Mine do the same thing. If you raise the rpm slightly when operating the headlight doors, It may increase the vacuum available to them and help them move up and down faster.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:02 AM
Vettelaw
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the popping of the headlights my car had the same symptons - to start out with. After a while it got worse until I had to raise the headlights manually by pushing them into position. The problem turned out to be old, leaky hoses unable to hold a vacuum. I had these replaced and now the lights are popping up and down almost instantly.

Don't know about the dimming problem :)
Old 01-09-2002, 11:04 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't necessarily agree that having your lights go up one at a time slowly is normal. My '75s lights both go up and down together and very quickly.

I would start checking or replacing your vacuum system hoses, check for leaks or loose connections, your light switch and manual override under the dash, etc. Eckler's, among others, has a real nice pamphlet on troubleshooting your light's vacuum system and wiper door system (you don't have wiper doors). Has very good descriptions and drawings.

Good luck...the lights can give you headaches sometimes :lol:
Old 01-20-2002, 08:09 PM
XmentalPilot
Drifting

Location: "Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Dimming headlights and slow headlight pop-up (Cajun75)

Cat

I agree the 1st things to look at would be the belt... then the physical connections to the battery and chassis/engine ground. If you need any help.. e mail me after you get settled in the new place and have some time to work on the car. I am only about 30 mins from you...
I've owned 2 - C3's (71 & 69) and have some experience troubleshooting electrical problems.

Don

[Modified by XmentalPilot, 6:45 PM 1/20/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Dimming headlights and slow headlight pop-up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dimming headlights and slow headlight pop-up