C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight stuck closed...manual control doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Default Headlight stuck closed...manual control doesn't work

My driver's side headlight has been acting up since I bought my '99 a couple of months ago so it was only a matter of time before it gave up the ghost.

It grinds and makes terrible noises as to be expected. What wasn't expected was that it would be stuck in the closed position instead of open. The **** on the back of the light doesn't even phase it.

Is there any other to move this thing as I'm sure it will much easier to remove when it is open. Will pulling on it do anything?
Old 10-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 890 Likes on 588 Posts

Sounds like the gear is significantly stripped - to the point the worm won't engage. Doesn't take much as the pics below show how mine showed a bit of wear but it was not operating.

You can probably pull up on it to get the worm engaging some of the teeth enough to get the manual **** to work. That's what I did with mine. I did a how-to repair thread if you don't already have one.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Is there anyway to remove the headlight with it closed or do I absolutely have to raise it?

Or even better, do I have to remove the headlight to pull the motor out?

Last edited by Kappa; 10-06-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

The motor/gearset are a unit and I've never tried pulling one without the headlight at least open. Here's the driver's side.

You can get the entire headlight assembly out by removing five or six bolts from underneath. Check out AJ's how-to.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=headlight
Old 10-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Well, I tried prying the headlight open from the slot behind the assembly using a big wrench and....nothing. It won't even budge. Tried while friend turned the headlights on and off with the same result.

So basically the only way I'm getting this thing off is from underneath? Don't have any ramps so this may mean a trip to the stealership.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:09 PM
bluvette79
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make ramps out of 2x6. cut one 3 ft with a 45 degree on end and cut another 2 feet with a 45 degree on the end. screw them togethe,r flat ends stacked even, and you have a ramp. this will get you high enough to put a jack and pucks under her and finish with jack stands and you are in for cheap. i made my pucks out of hocky pucks (instr. found on this forum). all in all, pretty inexpensive. good luck
Old 10-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Bump for suggestions.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I would buy a 30 buck set of ramps long before I took that one to the dealer. You'll end up spending a small fortune on something that will cost you less than 100 bucks iy you diy, including the ramps which you need anyway if you do any other work such as oil changes.

Btw, I pulled the front, not from the rear, of the hl assembly from the inner front corner with a lot of force while turning the **** to force the gears to engage.

Last edited by Patches; 10-06-2008 at 08:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight stuck closed...manual control doesn't work

Quick Reply: Headlight stuck closed...manual control doesn't work