C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanical Fuel Pump Installation

Old 01-08-2002, 09:18 PM
Rexx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical Fuel Pump Installation

Ok, I know we've kinda beat this to death, but I'm having difficult installing a fuel pump on my '78. The engine is still in the car, at least that's where I saw it last. :D :rolleyes:

I can't manage to hold the pump in place while installing the bolts. I’m fighting the spring-force between the pump and the push rod. I've tried rotating the engine (by tapping the ignition key) to get the push rod all the way up into the engine. How far is that push supposed to get up in the engine?

I have been with the bolt method of holding the pushrod in place, not forgetting to remove it before rotating the engine! How could I rotate the engine with more precision?

Also, what type of greasing should the push rod get? The fuel pump is sealed, so I don’t see how it would get lubricated. Would you install the paper gaskets that came with the pump? Should I use a gasket between the plate and the engine block or just use hi-temp gasket sealer (the silicon-based orange stuff)?

Thanks a bunch

-Rexx
Old 01-08-2002, 09:52 PM
Blu8t
Intermediate

Default Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump Installation (Rexx)

Rexx If you place the distributor rotor at the #1 position the cam lobe and the rod will be at its highest point ,take off the distributor cap and have a look, and varify with the harmonic balancer timming marks. I placed my gasket on the pump, but most of the work was done with the front wheel off . Good Luck
Old 01-08-2002, 10:05 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump Installation (Blu8t)

it is really easy with 2 people. have one person tap the ignition while the other holds the rod up there till it goes up really far.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:48 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump Installation (Blu8t)

Rexx If you place the distributor rotor at the #1 position the cam lobe and the rod will be at its highest point ,take off the distributor cap and have a look, and varify with the harmonic balancer timming marks. I placed my gasket on the pump, but most of the work was done with the front wheel off . Good Luck
DITTO DITTO on above one note is make sure you lift the rod up as it should be flush when the above is met. It's kinda a DAH but I've seen people try insert the pump with the push rod fallen down> dab of grease will hold it up:):) no offense intended but it can happen to the best.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:32 PM
Rexx
Instructor

Default Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump Installation (paso)

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot. The weather has been pretty nice here and I've been dying to drive her so I'm motivated to get her up and running again.

-Rexx
Old 01-09-2002, 12:05 AM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump Installation (Rexx)

My engine builder told me to use lithium grease to hold the rod up in the engine. I completely covered the push rod with grease and had no problem. I also used the paper gasket that came with the pump. I wouldn't use silicone as it will be messy to remove and is not really necessary to watertight seal that area.

Get notified of new replies

To Mechanical Fuel Pump Installation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mechanical Fuel Pump Installation