C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lessons Learned The Hard Way

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 06:08 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Lessons Learned The Hard Way

I'm sure everyone has learned a lesson or two the hard way, well I learned one today.

My job is better than most teenager's jobs, I work for my dad at his Maytag Appliance Center. I mainly do the deliveries and my dad does the repair work on the appliances. I delivered a washer and dryer today. The dryer that I was removing had the heavy duty cable going directly to his box. I asked the fellow "did you kick the breaker to the dryer?" He responded with "yes, the power's off to the dryer." Me being the trusting individual that I am, I start unhooking the cable when all of a sudden WHAM! Needless to say it put me down....yep 220 volts. I got up and asked him to see his breaker box, what a surprise the breaker was not kicked. Kicking the breaker was not the only thing I wanted to kick :mad . I can still taste the copper in my mouth :U .

The moral of the story is that when you are dealing with electricity...trust nobody but yourself. I plan on checking all of the breaker boxs myself from now on....and am also carrying a meter in my tool box too.

So let's hear about your lessons learned the hard way.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:13 PM
427_Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lessons Learned The Hard Way (bence13_33)

:eek:
Glad you're still with us after that!
What did the guy say to you? Did he apologize or buy you a beer or anything?
:cheers:
-Tom
Old 01-08-2002, 06:17 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Dude, you got lucky, once burnt, twice wary....keep that in mind....I been there and dun that...sorry to have to admit....

ALLWAYS pull your own circuit, tape the breaker/switch, and check it yourself with a voltmeter.....anything else is bullpoopie.....

GENE
Old 01-08-2002, 06:17 PM
jimduchek
Racer

Default Re: Lessons Learned The Hard Way (427_Roadster)

I've always got a great kick out of getting jolted. Used to stick knives in outlets and fingers in light sockets for fun. Anyway, sure does suck when you're not expecting it. Glad you're safe, 220 can kill. Probably the biggest lessons I've learned the hard ways are: A> Yes, you're too drunk to drive, and B> No, you can't support that transmission by yourself.

Jim

Old 01-08-2002, 06:20 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Lessons Learned The Hard Way (427_Roadster)

He told me he was sorry and that he thought he had kicked the breaker. It was actually my fault I should have checked it myself. No need to drink coffe after that ordeal...I was wide awake the rest of the day.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

You are very, very lucky. A circuit tester is very cheap insurance.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:16 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

:D Bence, I couldn't help but laugh when I read your post....I am an electrician, and I can just imagine the look on your face when you got bittin by the volt bug!! I know it is not funny, but I know exactly how you felt getting that poke!! You should try 347v through your head.....not fun!!
The moral of the story: ALWAYS check for yourself that the power is off, never,ever trust what someone else tells you. I tell all my apprentices that, and I advise them to invest in a good meter, even though our union says they shouldn't have one until thier 5th year. It would be a wise investment for you too!!! :D
Old 01-08-2002, 07:20 PM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lessons Learned The Hard Way (paul79)

Even if the breaker is kicked you should allways short a couple of the wires together with two screw drivers or something. You never know what kind of crazy wiring has been done in the house. I wouldn't even trust a volt meter. A jumper wire to a water pipe is a good short. I used to work on 50000 volt radar systems.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:36 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: Lessons Learned The Hard Way (73Ken73)

:eek: is your hair still standing? :eek:
Old 01-08-2002, 08:00 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Lessons Learned The Hard Way (QuickVet)

Glad to hear your ok Bence :crazy: . Take it easy there, we want to see that BB going down the road w/ you behind the wheel ;) .
Old 01-08-2002, 08:08 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Lessons Learned The Hard Way (SmokedTires)

There is one thing for sure I can garantee you bence It'll never happen to you again those lessons stick for life.:) Thankful you can post about it.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:10 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sux dude....I do heating and air condition with my father, so i know what your talking about!

Chris
Old 01-08-2002, 08:12 PM
IWantAC3
Intermediate

I'm sure everyone has learned a lesson or two the hard way, well I learned one today.

My job is better than most teenager's jobs, I work for my dad at his Maytag Appliance Center. I mainly do the deliveries and my dad does the repair work on the appliances. I delivered a washer and dryer today. The dryer that I was removing had the heavy duty cable going directly to his box. I asked the fellow "did you kick the breaker to the dryer?" He responded with "yes, the power's off to the dryer." Me being the trusting individual that I am, I start unhooking the cable when all of a sudden WHAM! Needless to say it put me down....yep 220 volts. I got up and asked him to see his breaker box, what a surprise the breaker was not kicked. Kicking the breaker was not the only thing I wanted to kick :mad . I can still taste the copper in my mouth :U .

The moral of the story is that when you are dealing with electricity...trust nobody but yourself. I plan on checking all of the breaker boxs myself from now on....and am also carrying a meter in my tool box too.

So let's hear about your lessons learned the hard way.
Ouch, that must have hurt. I've never gotten shocked by 220v but have with 110v twice. Once when I was 8-9years old and had a little DC motor from radio shack about as big around as a quarter and I got the bright Idea to see how well it would work if I shoved the wires in an electric outlet, ouch. The second time I think I was 10 years old and I was under a table plugging in a lamp or something and my finger was on the metal prong when I shoved it in the outlet, zap, and to top it off I jerked my head up and slammed into the underside of the table.
Old 01-08-2002, 08:51 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Lessons Learned The Hard Way (IWantAC3)

I went to replace the elements in the hot water heater a couple of years ago. Went to the box and turned off the breaker. Went down started to unscrew the leads and WHAM. I got jolted. The box was mislabeled. I went and relabeled all the circuits so I now know they are correct. There were 2 more mislabeled.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:01 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Lessons Learned The Hard Way (Gordonm)

Bence, so did the customer ask you; "By the way, what do you mean "Kick" the breaker???

Litl lectric shock therapy can cure all kinds of things!!

In my old house, was preparing to change a fixture, so I was turning off the breakers one by one to find the right one: click... nothing....click....nothing....
click! Every light in the house went off!!!! :eek: NOT the master switch either, Every light in the house was on one circuit!!! All the other ones were dummies!! We moved out and the next buyers inspector didnt notice either! MJ
Old 01-08-2002, 09:44 PM
NorthVette
Racer

Short reply... Don't trust anybody but you're partner when you're underground!
Long reply... My partner and I were going to survey (measure) a particular stope in the mine. We were making some observations and planning how to complete the job and standing about 80 feet from the face when it was blasted!!! (About 2hundred or so lbs of AN/FO and emultion explosives!!!)

I ran like I grew upo in Beirut!!!

Was scared BADLY!!! Got very very drunk that night!!!! I know of guys that were further from a blast and were killed!!!

But such is the life of a miner....
Old 01-08-2002, 09:48 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Glad you are OK. I thought your were posting to tell us you bought a cracked block/heads and you just found out from the machine shop!!!!!! :eek:

Bob :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Lessons Learned The Hard Way

Old 01-08-2002, 09:51 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 310 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Yeah, I've done the same thing with 220, WOW, it took a few hours to get the feeling back in my arm. Never trust anyone with electricity. I was lucky, there was 440 line right next to the one I nipped? :mad
Old 01-09-2002, 12:25 AM
rmadlem
Burning Brakes

I got zapped with 220 from a coffee maker. The cord ran through the floor to the basement and it was "too much trouble" to go downstairs to unplug it. That was the last time I took a shortcut!! But I do like my afro now!! :troll
Old 01-09-2002, 12:47 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Two words....Marriage :smash: ....Divorce :cheers:

Quick Reply: Lessons Learned The Hard Way