C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams, Cams, Cams...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 03:06 PM
79Corvette02
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cams, Cams, Cams...

Hello All. I'm considering a Cam swap over the winter. My only hang up is what do I need to do to swap the cam itself (i.e. remove carb, dist., manifold, heads,etc...)? Also, would I have to beef up or swap other valvetrain components like rockers? How long do you suppose this would take? I am thinking about using Comp Cams Nitrous HP cam-I want it to sound wild-and I'm eventually going to be using sidepipes, so I figure that's a plus as well. Any help or advice I could get would be great. Thank You in advance.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:09 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Cams, Cams, Cams... (79Corvette02)

are you going to be using nitrous?
if you want the loopey idle sound you have to get a came with a lot of duration.
what ones have you been thinking about?
you also have to remove the radiator.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:21 PM
79Corvette02
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cams, Cams, Cams... (QuickVet)

Yes, QuickVet, I hope (fingers crossed) I'll have enough dough to dump into a NOS Top Shot system sooner or later. For duration, how big are we talking (253...higher) I'm way out of my league on this one. If I had a cam like a 253/253 w/ a .525" lift, can my stock valvetrain support that kind of hammering? Any reply would be great
Old 01-08-2002, 03:45 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Re: Cams, Cams, Cams... (79Corvette02)

Yes, QuickVet, I hope (fingers crossed) I'll have enough dough to dump into a NOS Top Shot system sooner or later. For duration, how big are we talking (253...higher) I'm way out of my league on this one. If I had a cam like a 253/253 w/ a .525" lift, can my stock valvetrain support that kind of hammering? Any reply would be great
With stock valvetrain, stick to about .450 lift and 220 @.050 . There is no way you can run anymore without a top end rebuild.

As for the install itself:
-Hood off (just makes it easier)
-Radiator out
-Distributor out
-Intake manifold + carb off
-Remove fuel pump and rod
-Drop oil pan
-Pull balancer
-Remove timing chain cover
-Remove timing chain
-Remove pushrods and rockers
-PULL CAM
-Reinstall is reverse (to quote Haynes :jester )

Little bit more to it than that but I did the job in 3 days working 4-5 hours per by myself. Just take it step by step and read all the notes, warnings, and cautions in the service manuals :yesnod: .

:smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 01-08-2002, 03:55 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Cams, Cams, Cams... (SteveG75)

the most lift i could get into my motor was .515" that was with a super thin head gasket though. you may be able to get a little more if your valve sizes are small. mine are 1.94/1.50. the duration on my cam is 246 @ .05. alot of people say that is to much and it prob. is but it works anyway. the stock valvesprings will not handle this.

Get notified of new replies

To Cams, Cams, Cams...

Quick Reply: Cams, Cams, Cams...