C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noticed my neutral idle was low... car stalled idling in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 04:14 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Noticed my neutral idle was low... car stalled idling in reverse.

Weirdness today. I turned my car on for the umpteenth time (just got off the freeway, drove a couple blocks at 40 mph, parked, came back in 45 minutes or so and the car stalled when I put it in reverse and let off the brake.) Is this generally a carb worry? Also, I have kind of a very fast ticking noise, and I'm not sure if it's a spark plug wire or a lifter(I checked the right bank where the noise seems to be coming from, and there's no sign of burnt or loose wires.) Could either of these be a reason to suspect my carb? I guess I might have to send it off to Lars sooner than I expected.
-Steve
Old 01-08-2002, 10:27 AM
78RedShark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Noticed my neutral idle was low... car stalled idling in reverse. (Pacin'California)

That ticking could mean a burnt gasket on one of the exhaust manifolds. May have to replace one or more of these gaskets (no biggie...I've done it myself a few times).

As for the stalling in reverse...I too had that problem...I rebuilt the carb and it seemed to help immensely. Was it particularly cold that day you were driving? I doubt it from where you live...but otherwise, it could just be a carb issue.

Good luck! :seeya
Old 01-08-2002, 11:49 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Noticed my neutral idle was low... car stalled idling in reverse. (78RedShark)

It was in the 50's. The car was much harder to start back up than it usually is, starter cranked at least five times when it usually turns over in less than one crank.
-Steve
Old 01-08-2002, 12:18 PM
78RedShark
Instructor

Default Re: Noticed my neutral idle was low... car stalled idling in reverse. (Pacin'California)

I was thinking could also be a vacuum issue.

Check your idle...may need a slight adjustment up, because may not be generating enough vacuum.

Regards,
Rob

[Modified by 78RedShark, 4:19 PM 1/8/2002]
Old 01-08-2002, 04:58 PM
Phoenix79
Instructor

I have the exact same problem. The ticking sound is coming from your manifold, the gasket is leaking. It will tick faster as your rpms go up..etc etc and you'll notice a performance drop. I had the great grace of fixing up my right manifold gasket only to find the next week the left manifold gasket had begun to fail as well. I'm going to tackle that problem myself. $350-400 dollars a manifold just doesn't work for a 18yr college student. Anyone have any experience fixing the gasket on the left manifold? I would love to hear some tips or how to's. Thanks in Advance!
Old 01-08-2002, 05:10 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Noticed my neutral idle was low... car stalled idling in reverse. (Phoenix79)

could it be the fuel filter? :confused:
Old 01-08-2002, 05:33 PM
78RedShark
Instructor

Default Re: Noticed my neutral idle was low... car stalled idling in reverse. (Phoenix79)

I have, Phoenix. Actually, I had the same problem in reverse. My left manifold needed all the gaskets replaced...it was relatively easy to do...NOT. The bloody heat shield surrounding the manifold had to be taken out...the one that connected to the original air filter...i've since replaced that with a K&N open air filter...but that heat shield was a PITA to remove...I had to actually cut it out with pliers and pure will...I didn't need it anymore anyways.

But after that, it was just a matter of loosening the bolts and sliding the gaskets in through the top. They were very cheap (about $10 Cdn. for the set).

Once I did that, the right side gaskets needed replacing! But that's a bit harder...but I have to first remove the ECE...it's bolted right onto the exhaust manifold...and it's on TIGHT!

It's just a matter of loosening the bolts enough to pull the exhaust manifold back enough to be able to slide in the new gaskets.

Good Luck :cheers:

[Modified by 78RedShark, 9:34 PM 1/8/2002]

[Modified by 78RedShark, 9:35 PM 1/8/2002]
Old 01-08-2002, 05:45 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I just pulled the exhaust manifolds off my car for a head swap, and they were assembled without gaskets. Plus one bolt was missing, I never heard any sort of noise from the manifolds.
I think that the SB ram's horn manifolds were assembled from the factory without gaskets. I'm wondering if I should go back with gaskets or just put it back like it was?
Old 01-08-2002, 06:14 PM
78RedShark
Instructor

Default Re: Noticed my neutral idle was low... car stalled idling in reverse. (Smokehouse69)

I just pulled the exhaust manifolds off my car for a head swap, and they were assembled without gaskets. Plus one bolt was missing, I never heard any sort of noise from the manifolds.
I think that the SB ram's horn manifolds were assembled from the factory without gaskets. I'm wondering if I should go back with gaskets or just put it back like it was?
Hi Smokehouse. My understanding is that the original ramhorn manifolds had gaskets on them. The parts store i use here has the gaskets for a 1978 Corvette with original manifolds.
Old 01-09-2002, 01:45 AM
Phoenix79
Instructor

Default Re: Noticed my neutral idle was low... car stalled idling in reverse. (78RedShark)

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. The leaking manifold gaskets are the last of the major problems with my car...well that and my left muffler is basically BROKEN, but I have some flowmasters coming on soon. With the help of some friends, I'm going to tackle the manifold problem this weekend and hopefully it'll end the leaking for a long time. You know what, your 78 looks exactly like my 79 except my interior is saddle.

Beautiful car, looks very well taken care of :yesnod: Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2002, 09:56 AM
78RedShark
Instructor

Thanks Phoenix...let me know when you post a pic of yours.

Later! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Noticed my neutral idle was low... car stalled idling in reverse.

Quick Reply: Noticed my neutral idle was low... car stalled idling in reverse.