C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat reconditioning DONE!!!! heres some tips that i found out the hard way...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 03:04 AM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat reconditioning DONE!!!! heres some tips that i found out the hard way...

sorry dont have pics, but i would have to get an extension cord to hook to the @#@ digital camera as it eats batteries like crazy.... and thats just too much @#@! work!! :lol: :lol:

but they look great!!!

i even SIT taller now!! (i was sitting on a broken frame before..)

its quite amazing the difference./...

its a totally different car now...

well heres my tips... hope u guys learn from my mistakes :conehead :conehead

1. GET THE SEAT FRAMES REFINISHED!! the factory welds suck! the seat backs can easily flex and flex and flex... ecklers sells a bar to repair lower seat frames for 20 dux if yours are cracked or rusted out rather badly or if a cow sat on em...

2. i found that the phillips heads hinge bolts and bottom bumpers and top bumpers just plain suck!! i used a pipe wrench on all of those bolts... to get the pipe wrench around the head you can tear away the material from the bottom allowing the hinge to drop down enough to grip it.

3. tap your threads!! i didnt do this and i sheared off a BRAND NEW 5$$ dollar seat back bumper bolt.... the bolt disc is so cheap it will snap off!!! so tap the old threads on the frames...

4. save your old hogrings!!!! the kit that i got from corvette america to supposedly do 2 seats did not contain enough hogrings to do the seats properly!! it was also missing some metal bars and retaining clips (the ones for the listing that goes accross the seat not down it...)...so i had to reuse some old hardware..

5. my seat tracks were so frozen it wasnt funny at all!! couldnt budge em... hit em with a hammer to move em around, and i finally soaked em in WD-40 and it didnt work at all.... i found ballistol to work wonderfully... ballistol is usually used to lube rifles and such, luckily i had a can of concentrate laying around. now all i have to do is tip the track and itll slide on its own--thats how good it is.

well thats really the best tips i can think of... everything else was pretty easy and straightforward///

i thought the seat install would be hard, but quite the contrary!!!

it was very easy.

:cheers: :cheers: :) :)
Old 01-08-2002, 03:13 AM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Re: seat reconditioning DONE!!!! heres some tips that i found out the hard way... (daily_driver)

:cheers:
Old 01-08-2002, 03:18 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: seat reconditioning DONE!!!! heres some tips that i found out the hard way... (Chris Fowler '80)

Congrats! :cheers: I would like to do mine, but after I get done with my paint job, I'll be so crazy :crazy: and broke that it's gonna have to wait until next winter. But, i'm sure i'll have questions for you then. :D

Justin
Old 01-08-2002, 11:50 AM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: seat reconditioning DONE!!!! heres some tips that i found out the hard way... (daily_driver)

Nevertheless, the work done is satisfying, is it?

I did this job on my 72 Vette some time ago, so I know what you are talking about....... :yesnod:

Congrats! :cheers:
Old 01-08-2002, 08:32 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: seat reconditioning DONE!!!! heres some tips that i found out the hard way... (454Big)

yah ED i woulda made u proud :lol: :lol: :lol:

i took the separated disc from the bolt and i drilled an undersized hole in the center and bubbad a metric bolt through it and bolted it up on the other side of the seat frame with a nut!!

I AM BUBBA HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAR ME ROAR!!

GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOWWWL LL!!

:lol: :lol: :jester :conehead :conehead

well as long as nobody adjusts that bumper, everythin'lll be A-OK.

i wasnt about to order another seat bumper for $5 + $15 dollars next day shipping screw that...

Old 01-08-2002, 08:33 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

oh and heres another tip:::::

instead of ordering those stupid $5 dollar washers for the seat bumpers, goto home depot and get em for 0.07 cents each!!!

what a farkin ripofff!!!! a $5 dollar washer!!!

:mad :mad :mad
Old 01-08-2002, 10:33 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Default Re: seat reconditioning DONE!!!! heres some tips that i found out the hard way... (Ed T)

bahahahaha

ED, i bet your work is missing all kindsa stuff!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

the modular walls are falling over.... people are falling outta the forklift!!

:jester

Get notified of new replies

To seat reconditioning DONE!!!! heres some tips that i found out the hard way...

Quick Reply: seat reconditioning DONE!!!! heres some tips that i found out the hard way...