C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rack and Pinion for a C3... Check this out

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 04:07 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Rack and Pinion for a C3... Check this out

Has anyone seen this. Maybe I should have done a search first but here is the link...
http://www.speeddirect.com/Products/...steeroids.html

EDIT: :lol: :lol: :lol: I just did a search a found topics from 1/4/02... I guess I should spend more time in this section. :D

[Modified by Bluewasp, 3:10 PM 1/7/2002]
Old 01-07-2002, 04:13 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rack and Pinion for a C3... Check this out (Bluewasp)

Monty is about to get his in and get it installed. I am sure he will give us the full rundown once he has been through it.

:cheers:
Old 01-07-2002, 04:23 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

When my system is proven, I plan on either making the brackets and selling them for about 200/set, or selling plans for 100 bucks....
to the exact dimensions....at any rate, the parts and such for steering input linkage would be done by the purchaser out of/from junkyard common parts per included suggestions....it's all straight forward stuff....
the adaptor block for the tie rod ends could be supplied for another 100 bucks.....you supply your own commonly available 89 grand am rack....
I include specs for modifications to stock tie rod ends....

so with my system, buying the brackets, adaptor block, from me...you would spend 300 bucks.....few bucks for junkyard steering parts, and a new/rebuilt/junkyard rack..... in other words, I can set it up for you for a MAXIMUM cost of 600 bucks.....IF you do a bit of scrounging....
if you just want plans of a proven system....it's 100 bucks.....you do your own fabrication work per cut sheet and junkyard searches....

I am a realtively indepandant sort of cuss these days....I WILL be ready in another two months with the information, but do not have engine back in car yet, SO, can't for SURE say it all fits.....now,....by the RULER it fits...but then again anyone in fabrication knows that aint'a allways da case... :D :mad :rolleyes: :cool: :cheers:
Old 01-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Rack and Pinion for a C3... Check this out (mrvette)

When my system is proven, I plan on either making the brackets and selling them for about 200/set, or selling plans for 100 bucks....
to the exact dimensions....at any rate, the parts and such for steering input linkage would be done by the purchaser out of/from junkyard common parts per included suggestions....it's all straight forward stuff....
the adaptor block for the tie rod ends could be supplied for another 100 bucks.....you supply your own commonly available 89 grand am rack....
I include specs for modifications to stock tie rod ends....

so with my system, buying the brackets, adaptor block, from me...you would spend 300 bucks.....few bucks for junkyard steering parts, and a new/rebuilt/junkyard rack..... in other words, I can set it up for you for a MAXIMUM cost of 600 bucks.....IF you do a bit of scrounging....
if you just want plans of a proven system....it's 100 bucks.....you do your own fabrication work per cut sheet and junkyard searches....

I am a realtively indepandant sort of cuss these days....I WILL be ready in another two months with the information, but do not have engine back in car yet, SO, can't for SURE say it all fits.....now,....by the RULER it fits...but then again anyone in fabrication knows that aint'a allways da case... :D :mad :rolleyes: :cool: :cheers:
I would be interested in your kit.. Keep me posted..

robert
Old 01-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rack and Pinion for a C3... Check this out (ScubaJKD)

I got an email from Eric at SpeedDirect last Thursday saying my kit shipped out that day, 2nd day air. So it should be waiting on me when I get home in a couple of hours. I'll post some pic tonight if it comes in. I've already removed all my old stuff, so assuming there are no hiccups, I may even get it in tonight.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:08 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: Rack and Pinion for a C3... Check this out (Monty)

'assuming there are no hiccups, I might even get it in tonight'.....

that what SHE said!!!!...... :D :eek: :cheers:
Old 01-07-2002, 05:10 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

LOL!

Luckily for me , 'she' (my wife) is busy tonight, so chances are good I can get 3-4 hours in the garage...depends on how hard the beer starts flowing. Beer makes me lazy.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:21 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

HUUGGGHH>>>>lazy, snort,.... :sleep: :bs ;) :cheers: :cheers: :D :D
Old 01-07-2002, 05:25 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

mmmmmmmm..... beer...., DOH!
Time to go to the beer store!

I can't wait to see how this kit works, I'll probably just build my own but if this kit is really worth the money... I might be convinced to buy one.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:34 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Rack and Pinion for a C3... Check this out (MikeC)

Well depending on how it works out, it may at least provide some ideas about how to go about building your own kit. I know MrVette is building his own, so between the two, you should have a pretty good indication of what's involved. There seems to be some concern among Jim Shea and a couple of his Saginaw Steering buddy's about some of the angles, but we'll see for sure soon enough. SpeedDirect has had their Camaro kit out for a couple of years now, and I haven't seen anything but very positive feedback on it. Onviously, each kit is slightly different to fit the respective chassis, but I feel confident they did their homework on it. At least I hope so.
Old 01-07-2002, 06:23 PM
jimduchek
Racer

I really feel that the top U-joint in the Steeroids kit is at too extreme of an angle. Maybe it's not as bad as it looks in the pics, but I personally will probably end up collapsing my steering column a tad to make that angle better...

Jim

Old 01-07-2002, 09:13 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gene,
Remember to post something when you are ready to sell...
Old 01-08-2002, 12:18 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Default Re: Rack and Pinion for a C3... Check this out (427V8)

427, I will, but remember my car is a SB not a BB, so I have no idea if it will fit/work or not, and headers may not clear on driver's side...that is why Steeroids went crazy with linkages, I just don't think that much of the heim pivot on the frame thing to hold that extra linkage bar...mine is a direct shot, and is close to the 30* angle allowed for universals....
seems fine, but well...I need put engine in car to see for sure....
need warmer weather too, mighty chilly out there now a daze...

GENE :D
Old 01-08-2002, 09:03 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a small block too :D:D

And I like youdesign better actually, besides being cheaper!
And I can mod the headers if need be...

427, I will, but remember my car is a SB not a BB, so I have no idea if it will fit/work or not, and headers may not clear on driver's side...that is why Steeroids went crazy with linkages, I just don't think that much of the heim pivot on the frame thing to hold that extra linkage bar...mine is a direct shot, and is close to the 30* angle allowed for universals....
seems fine, but well...I need put engine in car to see for sure....
need warmer weather too, mighty chilly out there now a daze...

GENE :D
Old 01-08-2002, 11:24 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

I did a little research into where SpeedDirect is sourcing their components, and they are getting the universal joints, intermediate steering shaft, and support bearing from Flaming River. I don't know if you're familiar with Flaming River, but they are probably the largest and most popular manufacturers and distributors of custom steering components and steering columns fot the custom and street rod crowd.

As for the angularity of the universal joint, Flaming River recommends a maximum of 60 degrees. I measured mine last night after I got it all set up, and it varies between 40 and 45 degrees as the steering wheel is turned, so there shouldn't be a problem there. As for the intermediate shaft and support bearing, those are off the shelf items and are commonly used on most customs and street rods.

By the way, the bottom ujoint is mostly just a means of connecting the steering shaft to the rack, there is minial angularity on that ujoint. I tryied to measure it and would estimate no more than 10 degrees max. I would say it's unfair to characterize the Steeroids kit as 'crazy with linkages'. That is not true, there are only 2 ujoints, and the lower's primary purpose is just to connect the shaft and rack as mentioned.
Old 01-08-2002, 04:30 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Well, Monty, they do have an extra universal joint and a support bearing...
so it is extra parts....and besides, there is nothing about those universal joints all that special they need be custom ordered from Flaming River...
they can be made up with parts from junkyard, pressed apart and restaked just as well as the factory build....same as any other universal joint anyway....
I did change my headers after trying to keep the linkage of any type far enough off my old set, I went to a race car shop down the street here, and the guy pulls out of his attic an old set of SBC headers that are routed entirely differantly than typical for a vette....anyway, they fit MUCH better and are still 4 1.75 tubes into a collector....so can't be too bad...they clear a LOT of room for the linkage, so much so that I feel I wasted a LOT of time and engergy on rack positioning....but IF it still clears the 350 stock oil pan, and such, well ok...
now if it does not, and needs lowered, at least I have the angles correct now, and the lateral positioning, so all I would need do is add whatever to the bottom of the brackets, and redrill....easy enough....then maybe leave that in the spec of the brackets for rack height allowance adjustment for pan clearances....allmost NO differances in the steering wheel linkage....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Rack and Pinion for a C3... Check this out

Quick Reply: Rack and Pinion for a C3... Check this out