C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel saving gadgets

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 02:08 PM
Sharkeez
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel saving gadgets

Check out this article
http://www.maryngroup.com/articles/Article060101-1.htm

What do you think? Is it realistic the C3 can benefit from these?
Old 01-07-2002, 03:03 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel saving gadgets (spham)

Don't know about that particular device, but I did see an 'info mercial' this weekend regarding a device that sits in air intake, called the 'Tornado' which is supposed to swirl the air in the intake manifold and claims to make more power and better fuel economy due to better fuel / air atomization. Seems to make some theroretical sense to me, but wonder if it really works as well.

Anyone out there had actual experience with either of these two performance/economy 'improvers'?????
Old 01-07-2002, 03:12 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

i have seen the ads for the Tornado..whats that saying..if its to good to be true..i heard they dont do a whole lot ..i bought my bro a` helix power tower for christmas for his 98 silverado 5.7..it is basically a 3/4 or 1inch spacer that goes between the intake and throttle body..the inside of the opening has a thread running down it which swirls the air going in..if it does anything for him i will post it....
Old 01-07-2002, 03:13 PM
Mark69
Instructor

What is that good for? Mileage of a new engine over 300ci in any new Audi Mercedes BMW etc. is not much better than my '69 corvette. So you can see that there was not much progress in the last 30 years. This is why I doubt very much you can increase the mileage significantly by condensing the blow-by gases of an engine.
BTW: Fuel prices are about $3.50/gal in Germany, so mileage really matters over here.
Old 01-07-2002, 03:22 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Let's see...the "condensator" is nothing more than the charcoal canister found on all cars now, and Corvettes sometime after mine.

From all I've heard, the swirl torque spacers are worthless. You'll get more from an insulating plate (can't spell that p-word). Cooler, denser charge...
Old 01-07-2002, 04:35 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fuel saving gadgets (rainman69)

Y'all bware ,,,,,,,,, ya put two many of them fuul savin gadgets in yuh car and the tank will run over when yuh drive it!! :crazy:
Old 01-07-2002, 05:22 PM
Sleestak
Team Owner

Default Re: Fuel saving gadgets (ram82fire)

My neighbor has one of the Tornado devices in his '01 F150. He says he gets about 18-20 more miles on a tank of gas with it. I've seen the one's for carburated engines and it has a top that looks like it would close off the top of the carb though. I'm thinking that's probably not good.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:39 PM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

As I understand it the charcoal canister takes the vaporized fuel in the float bowl and condeses it and sends it back to the tank, rather than it "boiling" off to the atmosphere at the carburetor.

However, vapor carburetors have been around forever, but thanks to the oil companies, have never taken off. Only fuel vapor will burn in the combustion process (i.e. not much of what you put in), and only liquid fuel produces pollutants. Therefore if you could build a carburetor that injects vapor somehow, you would be much more efficient, and better on the environment. I read somewhere that a guy put a vapor carb on his 318 Dodge and got 81 mpg. I don't know how true it is, but it makes alot of sense on paper. A vapor carb can run on a much lower grade of petroleum as well. I've heard of a model that was used on a tractor back in the thirties that actually used spent crankcase lubricant as a fuel!

I wish I had the budget to design a prototype. We'd all be rich. :D

Old 01-07-2002, 10:56 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Fuel saving gadgets (e3pres)

I can't agree with the Tornado thing. It's commonly known that the smoother the air stream is going to the carb throat the more efficiently the venturies will use that air. That's the concept of newer carbs such as the Demon line. K & N sells plastic carb throat covers that smooth out the irregularities at the throat.

If you want to get a glimmer of what the Condensator thing may do...just put a pipe in place of the PCV valve and let it exit to open air. (of course cap the vacuum fitting on the carb:))

Under the carb...build for the highest velocity you can get.. Small runners, nice corners, no sharp edges, etc. Just my opinions. :cheers:
Old 01-07-2002, 11:04 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Fuel saving gadgets (AlwaysWave)

BTW..all these gadgets may or may not do some good. The people that make out with them are the sellers. The real gains are made by best combustion situations brought about with tight quench areas under the heads, swirl type combustion chambers, correct cam lobe design for the application and engine use..those sorts of things. Getting 20 or more mpg from a carbed 350 is not unreasonable. Did you ever calculate what your newer overdrive car would get without the OD? Dave Emmanual (sp) the famous Vette writer has a C3 that runs 12's and does 20 mpg on the street.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:05 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont buy it - sounds like snake oil to me - are all those ancient ads supposed to be of similar devices? I saw a guy who put a magnet on his radiator hose and claimed it would increase his cooling capability and reduce engine wear.

Wheres P.T. Barnum when you need him.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:00 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Fuel saving gadgets (fauxrs)

Any serious fuel saving device is bought buy the oil company's... They want to stay in buisness.
I have an Uncle that designed an intake manifoldback in the 70's. He installed it on a 63 Buick station wagon, it would smoke the tires and get 80 MPG.

Chevron sends him a nice check every year to keep his mouth shut...
Old 01-08-2002, 03:12 AM
rainman69
Drifting

Default Re: Fuel saving gadgets (Desertdawg)

So, if these designs were, say, just "rediscovered..." :smash: ;)
Old 01-08-2002, 03:20 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

So, if these designs were, say, just "rediscovered..." :smash: ;)
I have been after my Uncle for years to spill the beans, but he says the check's are worth it....
Old 01-08-2002, 09:39 AM
73-454
Burning Brakes

Keep your money in your wallet, Non of that crap works, Best way to save gas, keep you baby tunned-up. that is all you have to do.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel saving gadgets

Quick Reply: Fuel saving gadgets