C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW RAM AIR INTERCOOLERS will be IN ALL OUR KITS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

Default NEW RAM AIR INTERCOOLERS will be IN ALL OUR KITS!

I just got back from Texas after spending some time with Corky Bell and Gerhard at Bell intercoolers.
I have finalized the Ram Air Intercooler design to make it easier to install and ship.
I changed the inlet to the passenger side while I was at it.
The large discharge tube and mounting brackets have been eliminated.
I now have mounting brackets that bolt on separately. They are slotted at both ends to make up and down as well as fore and aft adjustments much easier.
The inlet tubing is much shorter with the passenger side inlet, too.
The scoop at the bottom was shortened and I will supply a bolt on scoop made of 1/8" delrin. This way if someone were to bottom out the front end on something, the delrin scoop, if damaged, can be easily replaced.
We have a 3" scoop for street use and a 5" scoop for track use.
The front and top of the intercooler is completely sealed against the sheet metal enclosure that is include in every kit.
We are the only manufacturer that has taken the time and expense to manage the airflow through the intercooler so thoroughly.
The intercooler is also a full 27" wide. I don't believe there is a more efficient intercooler setup available anywhere in a commercially available system.
Looking at the pictures will show why I believe this to be true.
Testiing has shown that air will hit the front of an intercooler and literally spill over the edges if it's not contained.
We used a smoke generator with our high speed fans to test this theory. I was surprised at how much air was lost on a flat intercooler surface. Add in the fact that most intercoolers are laid down at a steeper angle and you'll find even more air glancing off the face of the intercooler. That is extremely inefficient.
Our intercooler is completely contained by the scoop, side panels and sheet metal enclosure. Air is literally rammed through the cooler.
The other advantage to this arrangement is that the intercooler is nowhere near the radiator and AC condensor. Low speed cooling is not hindered by the intercooler whatsoever.
There is room to install aftermarket trans or oil coolers in front of the radiator, with room to spare.
Our inlet tanks have directional vanes weld in place to force an even distribution of charge air across the core. Without the vanes we've found thatthe air packs into the far side, making the near side almost useless.
These are all extremely important features that we integrate into our intercoolers that no other manufacturer does.
These features are also quite expensive, but I've decided to absorb the additional expense, for now, so that we can get more of these out there. I'm confident that positive feedback will allow sales to expand to the point where I can hold the prices to a very attractive level.
As it is, we are definately the most advanced system available and at a price nobody can touch.

Notice how much air is available to the intercooler opening. Absolutely none of the intercooler core is shrouded by the frame.

With the huge gap between the intercooler and the radiator, there is ample room for an oil or trans cooler.
Low speed cooling is hugely improved with this new design.

The huge intercooler core is 27" wide with the best air flow path available.
Once the fascia and sheet metal enclosure are installed. no air can escape around or over the intercooler.

Fit and finish is also exceptional

I'm going to sell the first 20 systems at the sale price of $5200. There is not a better deal available for a system with all these features.

A&A CORVETTE
477 LAMBERT ST
OXNARD CA 93036
WWW.AACorvette.com

A&A CORVETTE SUPERCHARGER SYSTEMS
HOME OF THE WORLDS FIRST
CENTRIFUGALLY SUPERCHARGED C7

SUPERIOR ENGINEERING- SUPERIOR POWER
SUPERIOR PRICING- SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Andy@AACorvette.com 805- 278 4107
Old 09-21-2008, 07:59 PM
BLOWNBLUEZ06
Tech Contributor

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

Andy, You are the man!

As soon as you send me the new intercooler, I'm taking it over 925rwhp, so bring it! I'm ready!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:34 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 408 Likes on 306 Posts

Darn, I just got my kit the other day. Andy, I was the one from NJ who wanted the base kit with the straight cut gears...

Dave
Old 09-21-2008, 09:49 PM
nmp27
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go ahead and figure me up a price on the cooler and tubing, I'll modify my inlet so that the F1 will fit up against the radiator

Nick
Old 09-22-2008, 02:08 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

One word..... "BadAzzzzz"

Will this work with my Tigershark front fascia? From the pictures it looks like it will be "love at first sight"
Old 09-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Mean Gene55
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08
Default Mr. Bell

Andy - A little OT but is Mr. Bell still in the San Antonio area or has he relocated? He did a custom turbo system for my '85 RX-7 w/the 13-B rotary motor when he owned Cartech Performance in Dallas back in the late 80's & he was a huge advocate of air to air IC's over air to water systems back then. Obviously U & he R on the same page with this new creation so now I gotta figure out a way to incorporate your scoop design into my existing A&A FMIC.
Corky soon moved to SA to work with Hondas & Acuras but I didn't know that he was now focusing on just intercoolers. I figure he's still dabbling with some "secret" projects somewhere - he's WAY too knowledgeable in the area of FI ( often referred to as the "Father of turbocharging in the US" ). His book Maximum Boost is still somewhat of the FI bible.

MG

Last edited by Mean Gene55; 09-22-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 09-22-2008, 02:34 PM
montac
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
What is the price on just this new design IC sold separately? I have your kit on my C5 with the old style IC, so just need to upgrade to the ram air IC and whats needed to route s/c discharge tubing to passenger side IC inlet.

Also with this new IC setup do you still need to relocate the lower radiator support/skidbar assy lower for clearance and angle the center spoiler section forward? Looks like the AIR pump can stay in place with this new setup as well.

for the new setup and your hard work on research/design.

Looks like I bought my A A setup about 2 months 2 early for all this!

thanks

I'm about to install my system soon and would like to know what the upgrade price is. Thanks.

Charlie
Old 09-22-2008, 03:03 PM
FLATOUT
Temporary Hold

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So Efing awesome!

I can't wait! Love the lip spoiler on it too! Slap that on at the track and really scoop some air!

Andy
Old 09-22-2008, 03:11 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I am in DESPERATE need of that item!
Old 09-22-2008, 03:16 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 811 Posts

That is one sweet looking setup and I see the one you have put this on is on an old A&A ATI Setup
Old 09-22-2008, 07:24 PM
CraZee ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man I want to put this blower on but I built a n/a setup! LOL

I wonder how many points compression I can drop with some pistons... any help andy?
my setup is a stock ls6 with trickflow heads milled to 59cc a healthy cam (will work with blower) Probably near 11 compression right now I think just under.

Anyway can I drop 2 points or 1.5 points with some kind of pistons?
Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by CraZee ZO6

I wonder how many points compression I can drop with some pistons... any help andy?
my setup is a stock ls6 with trickflow heads milled to 59cc a healthy cam (will work with blower) Probably near 11 compression right now I think just under.

Why not just buy a forged bottom end. By the time you get done dealing with new pistons, etc...

Go buy a forged block and sell yours off. Then you'll be ready to go.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Vegas Vette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

Simply awsome Andy!!!

I was just at the shop last week and Andy was showing me all this new stuff I could feel my walett getting lighter the longer I was there....

So Andy how much to convert my old setup to this new one?

Great work as always..
Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 PM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon

Andy,

The new intercooler system looks good. One question though, over a series of 5 back to back dyno pulls without shutting off the car what's the intake temperature rise of your new system at the top end of the last pull? Just looking to see how well the system works and what your extensive research results were.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM
ProjecT 9
Pro

Looks good!

I'd be interested in just the inter cooler with all the new items needed/eliminated to fit it and route it correctly through the passenger side. Can you put together a "new intercooler" kit for the guys still running your old setup?

Also how much sooner have you seen the boost starting with the shortened plumbing?

Thanks,
Jon
Old 09-22-2008, 09:12 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Just throw on Andy's kit with meth and limit your boost to 5-6 lbs like the stock LS7's and you'll be fine
Old 09-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Mean Gene55
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08
Default Retrofit Possibilities

Originally Posted by ProjecT 9
Looks good!

I'd be interested in just the inter cooler with all the new items needed/eliminated to fit it and route it correctly through the passenger side. Can you put together a "new intercooler" kit for the guys still running your old setup?

Also how much sooner have you seen the boost starting with the shortened plumbing?

Thanks,
Jon
Yep, I think that's the big question that Andy's gonna have to answer - can this be retrofitted to those of us w/existing A&A FMIC's?

MG

Get notified of new replies

To NEW RAM AIR INTERCOOLERS will be IN ALL OUR KITS!

Old 09-22-2008, 11:27 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

You could always sell those Killer TFS heads and put some ported 317's on and drop the compression that way and maybe not even have any out of pocket expense. Just a thought!

Andy: This is one KILLER looking Intercooler! You are always the Innovator!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:02 AM
FLATOUT
Temporary Hold

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mean Gene55
Yep, I think that's the big question that Andy's gonna have to answer - can this be retrofitted to those of us w/existing A&A FMIC's?

MG
This absolutely can be retrofitted. I had the older FMIC, and I am currently running one of his earlier prototype ram air intercooler, and it fit like a champ! Swapped them out in the garage in about 45 minutes.

Now I am sending this one back and waiting on the new STUD passenger side intercooler to arrive!

Can't wait!

Andy Wheeler
Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 AM
dsmlights
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

more info on interocoler dimension please also on pricing I got CC ready for order

Quick Reply: NEW RAM AIR INTERCOOLERS will be IN ALL OUR KITS!