C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1) Hood clearance problems/sagging hood 2) A/C system tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 11:42 AM
71stingray454
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1) Hood clearance problems/sagging hood 2) A/C system tips needed

Hi all!

Like most of you, I have a small list of things that have to be done on the vette this winter (most of which are tiny little things) but I do have 2 major jobs. The first is the hood. This L88 style hood sags just above the air filter. Check the following pic:

Because the car is black, this is the first thing everyone notices :mad but the real reason I want it fixed is that I can't use a 3" air filter element. I am already using an air filter base that drops down but there still isn't enough room. I had the hood reinforced but not only does the added fiberglass still touch but after a while, the hood sagged again. What I don't understand is that everything fit before the frame-off restoration a year ago. Ecklers has an L88 hood with a 4 5/8" clearance. I'd like to check how high my hood is but I'm not sure where to start measuring from. Anyone have any tips on how to strengthen the sagging part? I was thinking maybe buying just the "scoop" from Ecklers and having a pro put it on....or should I just get the new hood (if it has enough clearance)? I would like the least expensive route :D

My next major job (ie. problem) is putting the rest of the A/C system on.
I have a set of Hooker headers and I'm using taller valve covers. (check the pic although it is an old one and a tad dark. I'm gonna try and get a better shot later today).

The condenser and compressor have to be installed but I'm afraid there might not be enough room to use the stock brackets because of the valve covers. Has anyone else been in the same situation as me? BTW, I'm not the one who will be doing all the work but I would like to give my mechanic some tips so I don't have to pay for all the time it takes for him to figure it out. :D :D

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Old 01-07-2002, 11:51 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: 1) Hood clearance problems/sagging hood 2) A/C system tips needed (71stingray454)

WOW :eek: ........What a sweet looking Vette
Old 01-07-2002, 12:33 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: 1) Hood clearance problems/sagging hood 2) A/C system tips needed (Alwyn678)

Was your hood reinforced on by glassing on the top or the bottom? Probably the bottom, correct? I think it needs to be sanded down to bare glass on the top side, then lay some resin and mat in where the sag is, then sand it out, give it a coat of lightweight body filler to fill minor imperfections, then sand it all smooth. If it was sagging and then was reinforced on the bottom side the weight may pull down on the sag. That's a long shot, but I can't think of any other explanation.

Justin
Old 01-07-2002, 07:29 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: 1) Hood clearance problems/sagging hood 2) A/C system tips needed (Dalannex)

A good fiberglass man would just cut off the top of the hood and rebuild it. Porbally cheaper to buy a new hood. Valve covers - I couldn't use the tall covers with my A/C compressor. I'm using the factory bracket with some half moons cut out of it to miss the headers. Good Luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 1) Hood clearance problems/sagging hood 2) A/C system tips needed

Quick Reply: 1) Hood clearance problems/sagging hood 2) A/C system tips needed