C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Admissions by EPA - What emission standards before 80

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 09:55 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Admissions by EPA - What emission standards before 80

Thought some of you might be interested in this. Someone else first posted this link. Not my area. Have posted this topic before.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/12-miles.htm
"1977
Congress amends the Clean Air Act. At the request of automakers, the HC standard is delayed until 1980 and the CO standard until 1981. The NOx standard is delayed until 1981 and is relaxed to 1 gram per mile." :eek:

"1981
New cars meet the amended Clean Air Act standards for the first time."

:cheers:

[Modified by Ganey, 8:34 AM 1/7/2002]
Old 01-07-2002, 12:54 PM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Admissions by EPA - What emission standards before 80 (Ganey)

Thanks for the info.
FYI: If you have the chance to buy a pre-smog 'Vette or any decent pre smog car - do it.
The smog laws & testing in California are so difficult these days that not too many cars from the 70's will pass it on the first try. California mandates that the test is to be performed on the IM2000 machine. This is basicly a treadmill for the car to sim driving speed. Most cars will fail on the decel when the motor is unloaded.
I'm glad my Corvette is pre-smog, but if I was to build a smog motor, I would convert it to LP or compressed natural gas (CNG). LP & CNG run much cleaner than gasoline. It would be a dual system, where I would turn on the LP for testing only.
Old 01-07-2002, 01:00 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting info. Here's a statement that ought to got some bit of disagreement. I am of the opinion that "environmentalists" are still trying to chase a problem that is a result of the 50's, and has been addressed and taken care of. That problem is automobile emissions. I think that these people have become so obsessed with forcing everyone to drive an ultra low emissions vehicle that somewhere along the way they forgot to compare notes of what we were trying to achieve back then, and what we have now.
Old 01-07-2002, 01:07 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Admissions by EPA - What emission standards before 80 (Dalannex)

i'm just glad we can still drive the presmog stuff on the road... i hope the day never comes :nonod:
Old 01-07-2002, 01:13 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Admissions by EPA - What emission standards before 80 (71coupe)

71coupe

You make a good point that this does not apply to Calif. which has it's own laws. If it wasn't for all the laws would like to live there & did for a short time.

:cheers:
Old 01-07-2002, 05:54 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

That site is a great effort by the EPA to support their own jobs....good advertising, too bad the truth in labeling laws don't apply to government programs....

the most glaring part is the referred to inclusion of MTBF?? (correct intitals???)

into gasoline for leaning out mix....and the resultant polution of ground water.....

at any rate the EPA is ruled by a bunch of over emotional zealots who can't distinguish science from their new found 'religion'.....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Admissions by EPA - What emission standards before 80

Quick Reply: Admissions by EPA - What emission standards before 80