C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 07:15 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!!

I owe Gordon a big thank You for helping me remove my headlight buckets today!

Since I quit smoking on the 1st, I would have flipped out trying to do this myself today. Didnt someone say that rebuilding the light buckets was relatively easy????!!! What a PITA it was - just to get them out!!! It didnt help that we had to cut a couple of bolts off and I managed to smoke (literally) a dremmel tool in the process~!!!!

We had to remove almost the entire front of the car. The grills, the bumper the bumperettes and we had to seperate the headlight cover from the rest of the bucket to get the damn things out of the car!!!! :crazy: :crazy:

Ok... now that my rant is over... My headlights are pretty bubba'd. Who know where I can get a decent rebuild kit????? I am also planning on replacing all the hardware with Stainless. Any of the vendors make a stainless kit???

Thanks!

Mike

[Modified by Mike69, 6:35 PM 1/6/2002]
Old 01-06-2002, 07:24 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Default Re: Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!! (Mike69)

Hey Mike,
I have to pull the buckets out of my 69 to rebuild them too, but not right away. I didn't look too close yet but aren't there 4 bolts that hold the whole thing in? If so are they impossible to get at? I have to change the bearings because they flop around a lot.
Gary
Old 01-06-2002, 07:32 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!! (gtr1999)

Nah they are not impossiable to get at really just a PITA.

Once we removed the three front grills and the headlight covers they were pretty accesable from either the grill area or from the crack of the hood (when open). We removed one of the back bolts from the bottom by using a couple of socket extentions and a swivel to wiggle the socket onto the head of the bolt. I'd advise soaking these bolts down with some penatrant the day before you plan on doing the job.

I took some pics but most of them are useless... I take more & better ones as I rebuild them so you can use them for reference when you do yours.

You can see the pics here.... http://community.webshots.com/album/28669357njKdddpZSU

[Modified by Mike69, 6:35 PM 1/6/2002]

[Modified by Mike69, 6:39 PM 1/6/2002]
Old 01-06-2002, 07:36 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!! (gtr1999)

There is 5 bolts. I should say there is supposed to be 5. On Mikes car we were a few short. Two in the front and 3 in the back. Not to difficult to get at but it might take a swivel to get them.
Yea we had fun today :lol: It all started when Mike gave me the wrong code to get into garage area. I'm punching in the numbers and it keeps coming up invalid. Honked the horn and he heard me and we finally got the right code in. There were many other small problems that were encountered but we got them out.Just think how good they will work when everything is back new. The smoked Dremel tool was a laugh.

[Modified by Gordonm, 6:39 PM 1/6/2002]
Old 01-06-2002, 07:40 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!! (Gordonm)

Thanks again Gordon! Sorry about the code~!!! At least it wasnt raining then!!!! :lol: :D

[Modified by Mike69, 6:41 PM 1/6/2002]
Old 01-06-2002, 08:11 PM
luvmy73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of jsut replacing my actuators as the rest of the mechanism seems to be in good shape. Is there a way to simply replace the actuators without removing the entire light system?
Old 01-06-2002, 08:16 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Just kidding about the code. I just went out and looked at mine and I do have 4 springs instead of the 2 you have.
Looking at the 72 vs 69 manual it does show 72 as having 4 springs and the 69 showing 2 springs. Probably one of those things that they found a problem and solved it by adding 2 more springs to hold the headlight up. They connect to the bracket that has 3 slotted holes that mounts to the support. I looked on your and there are no holes there so I guess for 69 2 springs is correct. Maybe that is another reason why they would not stay up. Mine do lock into place without the vacuum. I have to pull the bracket to get tehm to go down without the vacuum

[Modified by Gordonm, 7:23 PM 1/6/2002]
Old 01-06-2002, 08:19 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Default Re: Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!! (Gordonm)

when I was doing mine I noticed that the springs where placed in different places on each assembly...super crazy. But I think it explains why mine went up at different times, one had more tention on it...Make sure when you put them together you do the springs in the same place on both. :jester

Daniel
Old 01-06-2002, 09:22 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!! (luvmy73)

I was thinking of jsut replacing my actuators as the rest of the mechanism seems to be in good shape. Is there a way to simply replace the actuators without removing the entire light system?
Actually My actuators are ok, so I cant really answer the question. Maybe someone else can though. I'd imagine that you could access the bolts for them from the bottom of the car and pull the actuators out from the top, but I could be wrong.

My headlights were, well I guess they still are bubba-ed!!! I think the Springs were the least of it's problems! :lol:

From what I can tell right now...

I have a hose clamp in the place of a spacer! ??? :confused:
I have 2 springs on each light instead of 4.
I have aprox. half the # of nylon bushings that I should.
no "headlight locked" sensors
Some just goofy hardware - like screws where bolts are supposed to be.

I need a complete kit! Anyone know where I can get one or should I just call a dealer for the stuff????
Old 01-06-2002, 09:29 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I quit smoking on the 1st, I would have flipped out trying to do this myself today.
Congratulations. :yesnod: Good luck with the lights - nice photos in your album. :) BTW, was your car yellow from the factory? Just curious if the overspray is overspray from a repaint or not. I've got some like that on mine too but mine's been repainted (by Bubba). :crazy:
Old 01-06-2002, 09:58 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!! (Juliet)

was your car yellow from the factory? Just curious if the overspray is overspray from a repaint or not. I've got some like that on mine too but mine's been repainted (by Bubba). :crazy:
Bubba painted my car too! It was yellow from the fgactory though - at least that what the trim tag reads..It's been repainted though and I'm assuming the whole front clip has been replaced because of the crappy bond at the inside top of the fender where it meets the wheel well - as well as the lack of a bond in the front of the wheel wells :eek: (you might beable to see that in those pics too)

She aint pretty -but she functional and she mine! (and getting alittle better every day!) :cool:

[Modified by Mike69, 9:00 PM 1/6/2002]
Old 01-06-2002, 10:09 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

congrats on not smoking. that is :cool:
Old 01-06-2002, 10:31 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!! (QuickVet)

congrats on not smoking. that is :cool:
Thanks! And thank you too Juliet! (I foregot to put that in there!!!)
Old 01-06-2002, 11:39 PM
69shark
Melting Slicks

Location: Godspeed Mikey Hogsmak Invitational Spring Skyline Drive Corvette Cruise
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hey Mike cool you started this, let me know if you need some finished pics I should have my daughters digital camera back from repair in about a week. And yes to who asked if you can take the actuators out with out removing the whole assembly, I removed the bolts and then opened the hood all the way(a second person would help about now) I put a towel over the hood so I didn't scratch it. It does take a little wiggling to get them out though. If your looking to have them restored a place in Michigan called Calendonia Classics.
Old 01-07-2002, 03:27 AM
luvmy73
Racer

Default Re: Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!! (69shark)

Well I have all new actuator seals and the valves for the actuators.. I just need to find a way to get them back to that shiny gold colour. Anyone know of a product that you can use to achieve this golden look?

Thanks,

Michael.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:28 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike, congrats on giving up the smoking. I've given up giving up, sometimes I need a smoke just to stop my head from exploding (like when removing my front bumper cover yesterday only to find that a hidden captive screw wasn't actually captive :mad ). I can't give up smoking now anyway - I'm gonna pull my headlights apart soon :lol:
Don't bother with stainless steel fastner kits. It's much cheaper to measure the threads & get them from a shop. With the kits you're paying somebody to sort out all the fasteners & put them in a nice bag. I've just got back from spending £50-88 on stainless fastners for the entire front & rear bumper area plus various interior & engine bay bits. To do it with kits would have cost lots more.
paul

[Modified by UKPaul, 2:31 PM 1/7/2002]
Old 01-07-2002, 01:02 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!! (UKPaul)

I agree Paul! There are a ton of little parts in there though! I really dont want to have to hunt around for all the pieces though. Oh well, I think I'm going to head over to my local hardware guy tonight and see I can pick up most of the necessary bolts and spacers. I'll keep you guys informed!!

As far as getting back the gold coloring Eastwood makes spray paint that immitates the finish - it's pretty good but it takes some pratcice and patience to use. You can Check them out at http://www.eastwoodco.com (I think thats the right address) Search for Cadium Coat....

This smoking thing is kickin my butt today though.... Stay outta my way!!!! :cuss :lol: :cry :D

Get notified of new replies

To Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!!

Old 01-07-2002, 01:05 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!! (69shark)

let me know if you need some finished pics I should have my daughters digital camera back from repair in about a week
Tom with out thos books you gave me this would really be impossiable!!! I look at my parts, then look at the AIM and it's like playing that "what is missing in this pic game." It's probably going to take me a week to figure out which parts I'm going to need to order!!!! :cuss

Pics could be a help if you have the time! Thanks!
Old 01-07-2002, 02:18 PM
David68
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Excellent source for parts and exploded view is Dr. Rebuild. http://www.docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/HDLAMP2.PDF
Old 01-07-2002, 02:28 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!! (David68)

I think I've been banashed from the Docs Kingdom! :lol: I know Zip carries the parts I'll need - they just dont have them all together in one nice clean kit.

Thanks though!

Quick Reply: Who said rebuilding the headlights would be easy???!!!