C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crossmember mods to fit a 4L80E into a C3

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 04:07 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Crossmember mods to fit a 4L80E into a C3

Today I made the necessary modifications to my original transmission crossmember to accomdate the 4L80E. I chose to modify the original crossmember becuase it is a bolt in, and it integrates the parking brake cable pulley.

Here you can see that I had to cut out a section of the crossmember to accomodate the extended length and tailshaft width. To regain strength and rigidity, I am going to reweld in steel to box it in.

Here is how the crossmember fits when installed. In order to support the 4L80E's rear transmission mount, I am going to weld a tab of steel onto the back of the crossmember, and then weld a couple of triangular tabs underneath it to provide strength and rigidity to the mount.

Remaining tasks include: ordering a new driveshaft, once I recieve the T400 yoke (a 4340 billet yoke from Strange), installing the FAST/TCI T-com transmission computer controller, and reinstalling the original shifter.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:47 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Crossmember mods to fit a 4L80E into a C3 (Monty)

Looks great Monty like all your stuff!!! Hopefully I'll be able to follow your path oneday and built TT Small Block for my next project! :cheers:

Quick Reply: Crossmember mods to fit a 4L80E into a C3