C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Tire Tub Color

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 12:05 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spare Tire Tub Color

Was your's black at one time, or the color of the car? I've seen many pics on this forum with numreous color combo's. Mine is and always was silver, like the car, and I'm in the process of refinishing it while I do suspension replacing. That darn strut rod cam bolt was rusted solid and broke while trying to remove it :cuss Makes me wonder if the rear was ever aligned. :confused: :confused: So.. what color was, or is yours?? :cheers:
Old 01-06-2002, 12:34 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Spare Tire Tub Color (Silvr77)

My car is tan (buckskin) and the tube is black. I have it off the car right now and both the tub and top piece that bolts to the car are black
Old 01-06-2002, 12:36 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

BTW Silvr77, I just started the same rebuild yesterday. Good Luck :cheers:
Old 01-06-2002, 12:36 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Spare Tire Tub Color (R. Bruno)

I believe that they should be natural, unpainted fiberglass. The color is a dark gray with fiberglass strands showing through. Some black might be on the sides from the inner fender blackout process. Chuck
Old 01-06-2002, 12:43 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: Spare Tire Tub Color (Chuck Gongloff)

......I have polka-dots on mine!
Old 01-06-2002, 12:52 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Spare Tire Tub Color (Shutdown1)

I think the color matching is a good idea. I haven`t seen this and it never occured to me to do this while I had mine off.

Shutdown, are those polka dots aluminum rivets. :crazy: :yesnod:
Old 01-06-2002, 02:36 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Silvr77,
Chuck is correct the tub was natural fiberglass grey. The metal supports weere simi- gloss black. The tubs would have some flat black overspray from the mufflers as they were painted flat black to reduce the bright color of the metal when viewing from the rear.
Ed
Old 01-06-2002, 09:37 PM
Mr69Vett
Racer

I have none, I like it nakey :D

Really its in the basement, lot of good that will do when I have a flat, but I think it looks a hell of alot cleaner under there with it removed, just my .02

Oops by the way mine was the flat black oversprayed, if I was ever to reinstall I would most likley have the whole thing painted flat black to match the under side, being bright yellow I don't think would to good.

[Modified by Mr69Vett, 7:40 PM 1/6/2002]
Old 01-06-2002, 10:40 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Spare Tire Tub Color (Mr69Vett)

Mine was also fiberglass with no paint... although who would have known with the 26-years and 160k-miles worth of greese and dirt caked on it! Looked really bad. I just painted it yesterday with that rubberized black undercoating spray paint... looks pretty good with that textured surface...
Old 01-07-2002, 12:02 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

My tub was in really bad shape with a crack and a scuffed through place, it was also coated with undercoating, grease and 30+ years of dirt and grime. I cleaned it off, used undercoat remover to remove all the grime and old undercoat. Then I patched the tub(it's a good place to practice your fiberglass technique) The I wanted to find a gray paint that was very close to the natural gray of the tub (I don't plan on showing or having the car judged, but I want it to look right.) Finally I found some paint at Wal-Mart, that was listed as Antique Bronze. It wasn't a known name brand, I think it might be a store brand. The cap was close to the right color, so I bought a can. It turned out very close to the correct color gray. It was a little flat, so I sprayed semi-gloss clear over it. It turned out great, not perfect, but close enough for me.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:08 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Spare Tire Tub Color (Smokehouse69)

My tub was also cracked & in a mess. I repaired the crack using fibreglass on the inside & then used flexible bumper filler on the holes on the outside, before spraying the whole thing with Smoothrite satin black paint. Got the metal support bracket powder coated gloss black & then riveted it back on using large flange rivets. Came out OK.
:cheers:
Paul
Old 01-07-2002, 10:18 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bruno: The stblizr bushing job is pretty easy. I'm lucky to have access to a 1 ton press at work, which made the extraction and install a snap. The shock mounts came out pretty easy too while using a BFH!! Painting the parts now, while waiting for the cam bolt I busted!! If you have any questions about the job.. feel free to ask. Good Luck to you too.
Chuck G: It looks like the previous owner put a thin coat of silver paint over the tub. The paint is flaking off easily, besause he didn't prime it first. I haven't decided if or what I'll paint it.. although I do like the look of a color matching AZZ End! Thanks for your info
Old 01-07-2002, 03:15 PM
VTHokie77Vette
Racer

Mine was also the grayish color with a little black. I just painted it black this past weekend. Here are a few pics. Lighting is a little bad for the finished pic because I feel it doesn't really show how much nicer it looks painted black compared to what it was. It was quick and easy to do too.

Old 01-07-2002, 05:16 PM
tangee-vette
Racer

Default Re: Spare Tire Tub Color (VTHokie77Vette)

VTHokie.......Black looks good on your ride :cool:

Mine is still in the factory color, naked gray. I do spray it with NO TOUCH a couple times a season as that brightens it up nicely. I'll leave it as is unless it becomes a true eyesore. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Spare Tire Tub Color

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Tub Color