C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rookie Restoration Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 11:10 AM
sweet73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rookie Restoration Advice

First of all guys I want to let you know that I am a relatively new C3 owner, but have been an enthusiast for over 20 years. I have read a lot in magazines and on forums such as this. I bought my car as a driver not a show car, but an incident this summer with a 17 year old and a Bass fishing boat backing into the hood opened up a number of restoration options. The car mechanically is excellent with a rebuilt (not original) engine (1971 LT-1 specs), M21 transmission and rear end. All new suspension, breaks, steering, shocks, exhaust and paint about 5 years ago. Now the car was repianted in Acrylic Enamel. This is where I decided, since I was having difficulty matching the paint as my insurance company would only pay for the front end damage, to have a complete strip and repaint using clear coat. That way in the future any minor incidents could be repaired and matched. Also, the car looked like it had 3 coats of paint on it and I was fearful that over time that the paint may blister.

Now, I have the car stripped completely down. All chrome and paint have been removed. Short of a frame off - What other items would you guys recommend doing while the car is apart. I thought of the frame off, but the extra dollars seemed potentially high. i am open to any advice Thanks
Old 01-06-2002, 11:18 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rookie Restoration Advice (sweet73)

Welcome :seeya

Very nice looking car (at least in the pic, I guess it can only look so good stripped).

I guess this would be the time to consider any body mods (like a different hood) you might be interested in.
What kind of shape is the interior in?
How well do the door internals (windows, locks) work?

It sounds like it's in really good shape already. Good Luck with the paint & keep us informed about the progress.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:30 AM
sweet73
Instructor

Jerry the interior is in great shape. All new seat covers, carpeting and rear bins. The only original or unrepaired is the center console and emergency brake. They are in poor condition so I have a new centre console, emrgency break handle and arm rest to be installed. I also purchased a used face plate out of a 4 spd 1974 vette for $25. Just needs paint. I also purchased a new centre gauge bezel as the original had been modified for an after market radio. Which leads me to my next question. I would like an upgraded stereo system that looks stock, but plays CD's - Any advice?
Old 01-06-2002, 11:40 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

CD adaptable units like this are available. I cannot vouch for the quality of sound as I have gone to a DIN Pioneer. But 25 watts per channel does seem modest.
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1031
Old 01-06-2002, 03:39 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

Default Re: Rookie Restoration Advice (paul79)

I have the Custom Autosound unit w/CD changer in my Corvette. I installed the matching front and rear speakers as well. Sounds good to me around town, but at 65 mph I mostly hear the exhaust. No modifications to the car were required.
Roger
Old 01-06-2002, 04:08 PM
Tired74
Instructor

Have you chosen a paint shop yet? I'm looking to get my 74 painted and would really like to do it once at a reputable shop.

Any Corvette part supply companies you can recommend.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2002, 06:34 PM
sweet73
Instructor

Default Re: Rookie Restoration Advice (Tired74)

Ron - I am having my car done at a place just south of Port Perry called Vette Works. They specialize in Corvettes. In fact, that's all Ernie seems to do. He does have a waiting list - It took me 4 months to get my car in, but I looked at that as another positive sign. Ernie seems like a real decent guy as well. I took some pictures during Christmas and I will upload them on my web page soon.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:38 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

A couple of things I did while mine was stripped that you might consider. All new weather stripping. When remounting everything on the body go with all new mounting hardware. The screws, nuts and bolts are easy to purchase in nice neat packages and when you get ready to put her back together it makes assembly very nice and organized. Plus it will make everything alot tighter when you are finished. I also took the time to go ahead and POR the undercarriage. While working on the body its a good time to go ahead and do some rust prevention. There are lots of ways to skin a cat these are just a few options.

:seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Rookie Restoration Advice

Quick Reply: Rookie Restoration Advice