C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Ever Use The Eckler's Analog Radio Upgrade Service?

Old 01-06-2002, 02:48 AM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Anyone Ever Use The Eckler's Analog Radio Upgrade Service?

Has anyone ever used the radio upgrade service from Eckler's for an early analog OEM stereo? Was it a quality job and worth the expense?

My '72 has the original stereo that works fine, but with chambered exhaust and the top down I can barely hear it. My objective is obviously to retain the factory look.

Service summary:
- Replaces antiquated tubes, transistors, etc. with current circuit technology
- Direct inputs for CD player/changer
- 44 watts
- 1 year warranty
- $350

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-06-2002, 09:59 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Default Re: Anyone Ever Use The Eckler's Analog Radio Upgrade Service? (SharkAttack)

Do a search on radio repair in the resto section. Last month I asked who rebuilds radios and Chuck Gonloff recommended a guy in MD. I don't ahve his number here, think it's at work. I talked to the guy last month and he sounded like a real nice guy who knows his business. He does the work and can do tha conversion you're talking about. I like to deal with the people that do the work instead of a guy who just takes and order. If you can't find it or Chuck doesn't see this post I'll find it tomorrow for you.
I plan on having him do my 72 radio and maybe the same thing you want for my 69 w/chambered pipes.
Let me know if you go this route.
Gary
Old 01-06-2002, 04:41 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Anyone Ever Use The Eckler's Analog Radio Upgrade Service? (SharkAttack)

you should go with a seperate amplifier..i have never heard a deck that has good power..when you turn it up, the speakers will distort..need to upgrade speakers and go with a cheap amp...
Old 01-07-2002, 10:39 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: Anyone Ever Use The Eckler's Analog Radio Upgrade Service? (1bad69)

I already upgraded the speakers. Anyone using an amp off the stock stereo? My fear is that it may only add power (watts) to an already distorted sound.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:43 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I looked into it for my AM/FM/CB. they would replace the AM/FM components and lose the CB. I wanted to keep the CB feature but not an option with them so it sits on my garage shelf waiting for a service that can replace the blown transistors in the speaker circuits.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Ever Use The Eckler's Analog Radio Upgrade Service?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Ever Use The Eckler's Analog Radio Upgrade Service?