C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air in my brake lines..Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 01:10 AM
Blake-73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air in my brake lines..Help!

My brake pedal got reall weak, so I dId some checking and found a leaking caliper on the right-rear, which I replaced. I am trying to bleed the system with a vacum bleeder and I have a continuous amout of air in all the lines, front and back. I can not seem to pull it all out. I must have a leak somewhere, but I can not find any other fluid leak in the system, so where am I geting air? Any ideas? I am guessing I had 2 proiblems. Leaking caliper and leak elsewhere, but I have no idea where.

Any suggestions welcome.

Blake-73
Old 01-06-2002, 01:19 AM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: Air in my brake lines..Help! (Blake-73)

It may be coming in past the piston seals. With a vacuum bleeder the pressure is "backward" from normal. Try bleeding the old fashioned way.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:21 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Air in my brake lines..Help! (Blake-73)

I've never seen vacuum bleeder work on stock C-3 pistons and seals. Gravity bleed your brakes, it might take hours and several Quarts of brake fluid, but you'll get the air out.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:36 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Air in my brake lines..Help! (Smokehouse69)

Dittios to Smokehouse69.
Dan
Old 01-06-2002, 08:46 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Air in my brake lines..Help! (vettedan)

Ditto to vettedan...

Gravity- Been doing it that way since they invented dirt. Use the vacuum tool to empty and replace fluid in the master cylinder occasionally. But otherwise, it can cause problems just as described.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:15 AM
DavidOrr
Instructor

Default Re: Air in my brake lines..Help! (Tom454)

Okay so here's my ignorant questions of the day. I'm experiencing the same problems, air in system. Vaccum bleading does not work, I agree.

Gravity bleeding.

My understanding of this procedure is to loosen the lower valve and let the system drip into a container. Let each wheel drip for approximately 20-30 minutes, close valve move to next wheel. - Is this the correct procedure?

If so here's my questions. In using this method, the drivers side rear will drain the master cylinder in less than 20 minutes while the passengers side will not. Is this normal?

Second, the brake line is attaching at the top of the caliper, air is going to take the least resistance. Won't the air accomulate near the valves on the top of the caliper and not make it down to the open valve?

I'm asking these questions because after allowing my calipers to gravity bleed with the procedure I mentioned above for over 45 minutes per caliper (consistentally adding fluid) I still have air in the system.

Thanks, David

Get notified of new replies

To Air in my brake lines..Help!

Quick Reply: Air in my brake lines..Help!