C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Do You Think Would Win???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 07:46 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who Do You Think Would Win???

If both cars were together and running as planned (engine, trans, suspension, etc.) who would win in a quarter mile race, Monty's twin turbo or Merlins twin supercharged? I think I'd pay to see that! :yesnod:
Old 01-05-2002, 07:53 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Default Re: Who Do You Think Would Win??? (nastee383)

That's a real good question there. I don't really want to answer because I don't think it's fair to start anything here but I secretly have the answer tucked away in my head. What's really interesting to see would be the jaunt from 0mph-200mph-0mph!
Old 01-05-2002, 08:03 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

That's pretty funny. It would be an interesting race, but Merlin and I are not competitive with each other, except in a friendly, helpful way. We've each helped each other during our projects and our cars are more similar than people realize. Other than the obvious difference between our engine choices and transmissions - we share the same EFI systems, very similar fuel systems, the exact same suspensions (except for his trick HRE wheels, and our shock selection), same brakes, and many other items, etc.

I would think he'd win a race, both drag or road, due to his traction advantage. But one of my objectives is to maintain a stock appearance.
Old 01-05-2002, 08:13 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Easy: Monty. Merlin is racing on hopes and dreams.
Old 01-05-2002, 08:20 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Who Do You Think Would Win??? (ddn)

He'll get it done sooner or later, hopefully sooner. I'd be willing to bet that the doubt among some forum members that he'll finish it is just adding more fuel to his fire. A project like he's undertaken is no easy task. It's amazing how delays and expenses start stacking up when you're trying to do so many 'one off', custom things. He has also been a victim of his suppliers' and fabricators' problems, not to mention the slowing economy.

[Modified by Monty, 6:37 PM 1/5/2002]
Old 01-05-2002, 08:33 PM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Who Do You Think Would Win??? (Monty)

ddn - Thanks for the vote of confidence!! Monty has once again shown that he is a good friend & that he truly understands what it takes to complete projects like ours. Comments like his make it completely unimportant to me who would win. I think it would be cool for both of us to line up & have some fun, but I really think it would come down to driving skills. Being that my driving skills mostly come from motorcycles & that I weigh 320 pounds, I would give the nod to Monty. He also now will have a stronger tranny & won't have as much torque. That also factors in his favor. If it were out on the salt flats where it came down to who had the most power (and the largest cohones), now THAT would really be interesting. It is something to have fun pondering, but not something that I would spend a single second trying to pursue. My competition is the dyno machine. I just want to see those numbers go crazy. Neither of us will ever be able to open these things up on the street....
Old 01-05-2002, 08:38 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Who Do You Think Would Win??? (Merlin522)

Merlin: Sorry, but I say this with all the honesty, sincerity, and benevolence in the world. Prove me wrong.
Old 01-05-2002, 08:45 PM
Merlin522
Safety Car

ddn - We're working on it. Check out Series 20. Chris & I had a long talk about the feasibility of my project & every time I speak with him he becomes more confident about it's success. With technology like the blow-by valve on the quads, it allows us to idle & do all the things a normal street car should do. He still cautions me that great care will be needed. He likens it to a loaded gun. The potential for great danger is there, but with some caution & intelligence, it can be a lot of fun. Without hopes & dreams, what else is there??
Old 01-05-2002, 09:33 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

I think Steve nailed it: driving technique. Both machines will be able to easily smoke the tires and maintaining traction will be the name of the game. If Monty's running smaller tires, Merlin should win. It would be very interesting though, as the turbo's wouldn't kick-in until launched... I'd like to see that!

Old 01-05-2002, 10:26 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: Who Do You Think Would Win??? (Frank75)

Merlins twin supercharged because it is the coolest C3 i have ever seen :cool: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-05-2002, 10:40 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Who Do You Think Would Win??? (QuickVet)

They are both bad to the bone. I'm still in grade school! But then again my is a daily driver and gas is starting to up again.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:02 PM
daily_driver
Melting Slicks

Easy: Monty. Merlin is racing on hopes and dreams.
i must say merlin is really a great guy to have taken that comment so nicely!!

i however am not as nice.

:reddevil

its easy for you to sit there and make comments when u probably havent done anything like what they have undertaken..

this is for you son-- :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss

:blueangel:
Old 01-05-2002, 11:44 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Nastee,
Great question you've asked & I'm sure we're all pretty curious as well. All I can say is- I have a ton of respect for both of them & what they are doing. I think most of us have only been able to fantasize about having a Vette like theirs and I'll be living the thrill vicariously through them. I look forward to seeing videos of both cars here on the forum...hint, hint! :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-05-2002, 11:55 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Who Do You Think Would Win??? (Les)

I think Monty in the quarter. At around 1800 ft Monty will probably see Washington plates through the windshield.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:59 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: Who Do You Think Would Win??? (Les)

I think the 540 ci guys should chime in! Norval with a 8/71 and all the other 600 700 800 900 hp guys.

The CV forum is only a small part of the total Vette's out threre.

At the all Corvette drags at Sacramento you have - Team ZR1, Mallet's, Cal twin torbos, DRM's Very nice cars. IHRA 6.90 and NHRA 7.90 class Vette's

Old 01-06-2002, 12:31 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Who Do You Think Would Win??? (gkull)

Well if Merlin put an 8 point cage in and tied up those axels so he would be alowed to run on a track he'd smoke Monty...But in real life Merlin will be watching from the stands...
Old 01-06-2002, 01:10 AM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Default Re: Who Do You Think Would Win??? (427V8)

Hey, come on Keith. I'll get one run in before they kick me out! :)

Get notified of new replies

To Who Do You Think Would Win???

Old 01-06-2002, 01:29 PM
dually4wd
Racer

GOOD question Nasty.The bench racing is what makes this hobby so fun when the tracks are closed. I think it would come down to whoever has the strongest rear suspension parts. No offense Merlin, but you'll have enough hp to leave an interesting trail of irs parts when your beast hooks. I predict a ladder bar or 4-link with a braced 9-inch and 35 or even 40 spline axles in the future. I don't know what Monty's car has, but the turbos would be slightly kinder to rear-end parts. With traction, I tend to think the blower would edge ahead in the 1/8th mile and it would be pretty even in the quarter. The blower would leave harder than the turbo, but look out when the boost starts to climb. If any of you keep up with street legal drag racing, you've noticed how the turbos are wreaking havoc in the qtr, but in 8th mile the nitrous and blower cars are still winning their share. I hope I haven't offended anyone, my comments are with all due respect for those willing to push the limits of their car. :cheers:
Old 01-06-2002, 02:01 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would drive my 68 to see that race. Hell, I thought I'd do good with low to mid 11's.....but these two guys are sub 9's w/traction.

Traction I don't have.....had it out before the weather turned sour......was cruising down the interstate going over 90, nailed it.....almost burned the tires right off the rims. Now don't start, I know I was a naughty boy... :D
Old 01-06-2002, 02:35 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Steve!
I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I'm pretty convinced that when they see that tall deck big block with TWO Whipples sticking up in the air AND it's in a ragtop, well, I'd like to be there when the tech inspector saw it, and to see how you would convince them that it was a 13 second car :eek:

At the least video tape the tech inspection for us will you?

Quick Reply: Who Do You Think Would Win???