C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 11:02 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two!

OK, THIS THREAD SHOULD BE LEFT TO DIE!

It was NOT meant to point the finger at any particular thread (e.g. the alleged "beater" thread in the C5 forum).

I guess it's a dumb thread/poll to start because I'm sure the very very large majority of members of all the forums frown on posts that attack an individual car or a particular group of cars.

PLEASE LET THIS THREAD DIE TOO!

Thanks, Jerry ( , couldn't find an "I'm Stupid" emoticon)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXx

OK, my first attempt at this poll failed, miserably. I seem to have poll troubles

Anyway, I also can't figure out how to put more than 10 entries in the poll either, so I guess I'll have to leave the "choices" open. I think it would be helpful if you could stay with the same three options I've given for C3s and just put in Cx for your generation. We'll see what happens. Oh, I guess for you lucky multi-C owners, you could just put Multi or something.

-----------------------------------------------

Ok, there appears to be several "bashing" threads here on the C3 forum, at least one on the C5 forum, and who knows where else.

Personally, I feel that any Corvette bashing diminishes the Corvette mystique and all Corvettes with it. But I guess some people feel that you should call a spade a spade (in their opinion anyway). And maybe there are those who feel it helps steer GM in the "right" direction (e.g., styling, power, etc.). Maybe it does?

Anyway, to each his own, but I'm curious how the groups feels about Corvette bashing (of any model), so here goes.

[Modified by jerryp58, 10:10 AM 1/5/2002]

[Modified by jerryp58, 4:20 PM 1/5/2002]
Old 01-05-2002, 11:19 AM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Default Re: "Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two! (jerryp58)

OK, Jerry....I voted for "C3 Ownere and all bashing is wrong"

I read all the sections here on the forum, cause I love all Corvettes...that why I was even over there in the C5 Forum to read what started all this. I like my Stingray, and its also my first Vette. But I do have respect for everyone's car here on this forum, and in all these bashing posts, I haven't resorted to bashing...only defending the model for which I own.

[Modified by Eric 70, 5:54 AM 1/7/2002]
Old 01-05-2002, 11:28 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Re: "Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two! (Eric 70)

Why do we need a poll for this? I read the C5 posts and don't believe anyone was intentionally bashing C3s. Let's not take offense too quickly here or someone may think we're too thin-skined for our own good. After all, we have all seen C3s that really qualify for the "beater" label being driven everyday.

[Modified by KenSny, 10:29 AM 1/5/2002]
Old 01-05-2002, 12:00 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: "Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two! (KenSny)

If theres a C3 still driving around today then i don't call it a beater,its a surviver!
Old 01-05-2002, 12:30 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Default Re: "Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two! (Tim H)

Tend to disagree.... If you drive a car, any car, even a Corvette, into the ground, and ignore any repair, then it's a beater. Maybe someone will come along and restore it, but not if the wear-and-tear damage is more than the car is worth! Any old car still able to drive around can be termed a survivor, but who wants a 250,000mi Dodge Dart, with the fenders rattling and the floorboards rusted out? One of my friends has one in a barn, hoping to see the market rise for it I guess.....

There are two in my general area that qualify for a beater title.

The worst is a '74 that would look better in primer than the current state of it's paint job, the windshield is cracked in two spots, and the engine compartment is solid rust and grime. The owner drives it every day to-and-from work. Does not care that it could be made to look better. To him it's just a mode of transportation that he thinks is cool to drive. BTW: the guy is 43 yrs old, and not "into" cars at all.

The other is a '77 that a teenager owns. He thinks it is a "cool" car to own, but does not take care of it either. The rearend, or tranny whines loud, and has been doing that for at least a year. Something is big-time wrong, but he doesn't care. The body has major cracks from in the rear fenders. To him it's just a "till I get my new car for graduation". That will probably be a ricer, since both his parents own one.

[Modified by KenSny, 11:40 AM 1/5/2002]
Old 01-05-2002, 12:46 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Ken, maybe we don't need this poll. I'm certainly not trying to stir up any trouble and I haven't taken any offense at any of the comments I've seen on this or the other forums. Some comments are made innocently, some are genuine, but just someone's opinion, to which they are certainly entitled. I haven't posted it over in the other forums yet, because I figured I'd wait to see the response it got over here. If most people agree it's unnecessary, it'll just go away. If some interest is shown, I'll post it elsewhere.

I guess everyone has opinions on Corvettes whether it be by year, generation, drivetrain, color, originality, or whatever. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I guess I was just curious how "tight-knit" a group Corvette owners are. We have the wave, and forums, and clubs because we enjoy the marque and the camaraderie.

It's fine to disagree and have personal preferences. I guess I am just curious how many people are willing to put their personal preferences aside and say "all Corvettes are great cars". I'm not sure that's the right thing to do, but it's what I try to do.

Jerry
Old 01-05-2002, 01:21 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Jerry, I don't want to sound like I'm taking the side of the C5 guy that made the comment but.... in all honesty I don't think he meant ALL C3s were beaters. Maybe he really did, but it did not come across that way to me. And yes, maybe some of them feel that since their cars are more expensive, newer, and of course with less mileage on them, then they are "better" than us. Personally I just feel we should ignore the one isolated comment and not make a big deal of it (look at how many topics there are here about it already) and fan the flames even more. We know our cars are great (otherwise why would we own them?) WHO CARES WHAT OTHERS THINK? NOT ME...... This somewhat reminds me of the chrome vs plastic bumper debates you often see within our own ranks. Let's just have fun, eh?

[Modified by KenSny, 12:24 PM 1/5/2002]
Old 01-05-2002, 01:23 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I've never met a Vette I didn't like :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Cruz
Old 01-05-2002, 03:50 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Default Re: "Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two! (Cruzmeisters)

I hate to misquote but I can't recall the exact words Groucho Marx used, but here goes: "I'd never be a member of any club who would have someone like me for a member." I've read the posts and it seems to me the C5 was slamming the members of his club rather than the C3s. I've seen beater C3s, beater C4s and even a few beater C2s. The problem isn't the car, it's the owner. The running joke on the Forum refers to Bubba The Vette Beater. I think most of us take pride in our ride and I hope we don't sucumb to petty infighting over perceived differences and semantics. 'Nough said!
Old 01-05-2002, 04:32 PM
DeepChasm
6th Gear

This thread finally made me join Corvette Forum. (I've been lurking for at least a year). Anyway, I bought a C5. I had my eye on a 67 convertible, than a 68. I really liked the 68. The problem - I have to drive it every day. Now thats not all bad :reddevil But I figured I'd have less trouble going the "new" vette route. So far so good.

Two simple points - I bought a vette. (Now that I own this one, I can't wait to get my 68 too.)

And many people buy the C5 because they think its a cool car, period. It just happens to be a vette.

ciao

Old 01-05-2002, 05:19 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

OK, THIS THREAD SHOULD BE LEFT TO DIE!

It was NOT meant to point the finger at any particular thread (e.g. the alleged "beater" thread in the C5 forum).

I guess it's a dumb thread/poll to start because I'm sure the very very large majority of members of all the forums frown on posts that attack an individual car or a particular group of cars.

PLEASE LET THIS THREAD DIE TOO!

Thanks, Jerry ( , couldn't find an "I'm Stupid" emoticon)
Old 01-05-2002, 06:35 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

lets do a parady.
Beautiful girl=Corvette
ugly fat girl=Mavrick
Which would you want to pass around at the party the fat ugly mavrick or would you like to get your hands on the beautiful Corvette?
As many problems as vettes have with the brakes,rearend and interior ripping to shreads I think its flattering to the corvette name to still have a vette driven everday showing that some of them can last and be used as a real car,and when its used up the owner can look back and see what all the car has been thru,instead of hiding it in a garage and treating it like a third child in the family!
Old 01-05-2002, 07:07 PM
Patman36
Melting Slicks

Default Re: "Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two! (DeepChasm)

Hey DeepChasm... good to see another Tulsan on the board! :cheers: :cheers: :yesnod:

Patrick :seeya
Old 01-05-2002, 07:26 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, let's be nice, have deep seeded discussion on whatever, and be gentle on the C5 guys.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:48 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: "Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two! (GDaina)

.....Growing up my idols were Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry), the Green Bay Packers, and Don Rickles. I bash everybody, especially C-5 owners.

'74 Turbocharged 350, "Molested to Perfection," class of '71
Old 01-06-2002, 10:17 AM
2ND77
Instructor

I guess some would call my 77 a beater right now. I got it from a kid who didnt even know what a socket wrench was....the interior is a shambles...lots of bubba wiring :mad ...and just needs lots of work. But its mine...and I got it for a song. I can tell you that it will not be a "beater" for long though! :cool:

I agree with Cruz...I have never seen a Vette that I didnt like.

Ron
Old 01-06-2002, 02:45 PM
tangee-vette
Racer

Default Re: "Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two! (Shutdown1)

.....Growing up my idols were Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry), the Green Bay Packers, and Don Rickles. I bash everybody, especially C-5 owners.
Don Rickles did it with a smile on his face with no true malice intended. No facial expressions are seen on the forum......bashing could be taken wrong in some circumstances and considered funny in others. You know some people are touchy and some not, its hard to tell who's who thru the keyboard. I'll play it safe and leave the :smash: to others. Unless of course I'm attacked personally :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To "Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two!

Old 01-06-2002, 03:47 PM
Purplerainz
Melting Slicks

looks like the reference that stuck was that of "beaters , why would a vette owner, member, call one that anyway? - in jest or otherwise ? - apologies are due in any case .. : :yesnod:

[Modified by Purplerainz, 1:50 PM 1/6/2002]
Old 01-06-2002, 06:45 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: "Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two! (Purplerainz)

I have to disagree with those who think the thread in question had any "intended" derogatory remarks to C3's as a whole, especially any of the C3's on the forum.

There most certainly can be beater vettes, I've seen several ragged out beat up uglier than dung vettes that were so ugly they wanted to make me drag the owner out into the street and run him over with his own car - provided it would start.

I'm not a huge fan of the C5 aesthetics, but there was no bashing on that thread that I could see.
Old 01-06-2002, 09:19 PM
Shutdown1
Instructor

Default Re: "Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two! (fauxrs)

Heard this one?

While driving down the road the other day I saw a C-5 going around and around in circles in a field next to the road. I pulled over and asked him what his problem was, and he said, "My turn signal is stuck!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everybody, there's a little good-natured bashing and poking fun (and some not so good-natured) that just goes with the internet and these forums. Anybody taking it seriously ought to trade his computer for a deck of cards and play solitare.

'74 Turbocharged 350, "Molested to Perfection," class of '71

[Modified by Shutdown1, 2:00 AM 1/7/2002]

Quick Reply: "Bashing" Corvettes -- Take Two!