C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Read this before buying any "blue" headlights. VERY interesting site.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 05:34 AM
Magnum '82
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Read this before buying any "blue" headlights. VERY interesting site.

I realize we C-3ers have sealed beam headlights, but this could still pertain to you for another vehicle. For some good reading on all the hype or :bs about "cool blue", etc headlights go to - http://www.lighting.mbz.org It saved me some cash.
Old 01-05-2002, 05:44 AM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Default Re: Read this before buying any "blue" headlights. VERY interesting site. (Magnum '82)

That link seems to be dead - I'm not getting anything. I was thinking of going blue with the 850, so I'm keenly interested in your experience..
Old 01-05-2002, 09:00 AM
SILVRTOY
Racer

Default Re: Read this before buying any "blue" headlights. VERY interesting site. (Magnum '82)

Just having my car inspected I was told that having any after market "cool blue" headlights is enough to fail the inspection. Just my .02
Old 01-05-2002, 10:01 AM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Read this before buying any "blue" headlights. VERY interesting site. (SILVRTOY)

I couldn't get the link to work either. I don't like the lights at all (speaking as the driver of an oncoming vehicle) as they seem worse than others when out of alignment. Why don't people pay attention to stuff like that?
Old 01-05-2002, 02:54 PM
Magnum '82
Racer

Default Re: Read this before buying any "blue" headlights. VERY interesting site. (Merlin522)

I just tried th site this AM and it came up. Slow, but it works. It is: Daniel Stern Lighting.
Just to sum it up, the blue colored bulbs are illegal in all 50 states! They do not throw enough light. They look like it, but it is a trick on our eyeballs. The bluish lights on the high buck cars are for real. The blue tint is a byproduct of REALLY white light. The fake bulbs are colored and this filters out the desired wavelengths, leaving the shortest(blue) wavelengths which scatter, thus doing a poor job of illuminating. Bottom line----They are a scam. BUT, good CLEAR XENON bulbs are better than standard halogen. Hpoe you can get that site up. Keep me posted.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:34 PM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Still getting DNS error on that page. Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I am not interested in blue colored lights, but the real Xeon. I didn't even know they made fake lights. Sounds like another invention for the ricer crowds. What will the nice folks from "as seen on TV" thing of next? :)
Old 01-05-2002, 05:04 PM
ANGIE82
Instructor

Default Re: Read this before buying any "blue" headlights. VERY interesting site. (Merlin522)

:) HEY MERLIN552 I MISSED YOU WHERE IN THE HELL HAVE BEEN? ANY WAY WELCOME BACK, THE IS LOOKING GREAT. ANGIE :chevy
Old 01-05-2002, 05:53 PM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Default Re: Read this before buying any "blue" headlights. VERY interesting site. (ANGIE82)

Hey Angie, long time no speak!! I notice your images aren't pulling. I bought a new server a month or two ago & it looks like I didn't transfer those over. I'll see if I can find the images on a backup. If not, do you have copies. Email them to me if you have them & I'll get you hooked back up...
Old 01-05-2002, 06:02 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sylvania makes a kit, complete with ecm, wiring harness, and bulbs, expensive aroung $600.00
Old 01-05-2002, 06:23 PM
ANGIE82
Instructor

MERLIN552 E-MAIL ME YOUR E-MAIL AND I WILL GET YOU A NEW PICTURE. :smash:
Old 01-05-2002, 07:13 PM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Default Re: Read this before buying any "blue" headlights. VERY interesting site. (ANGIE82)

Angie - You have mail!
Old 01-06-2002, 03:16 AM
Mac
Melting Slicks

"Blue" headlights are simply a marketing ploy, designed to trick you out of your $$$.

Many luxury cars come with fluorescent headlights which have no filiment and emit a cool, white light. When compared with standard and/or halogen headlights, which have filiments, the standard headlights appear yellowish and the fluorescent headlights appear blue. If you want to test this at home, compare a standard bulb with most fluorescent tubes and you'll remark on the difference immediately. There are kits available to retrofit fluorescent headlights but it's not simply a matter of changing light bulbs. The kit involves adding a ballast kit to supply the start-up surge voltage to make the new style headlights go. Once they fluoresce, the power consumed is less than standard headlights and the bulb's life is normally greater than standards as well.

The fluorescent headlight's spectrum is more complete which makes reflective material (ie: traffic signs, road markings) glow more brightly. "Blue" headlights have coatings either on the bulb exterior or inside (in the form of xenon gas) which affects the colour of the light emitted but does not complete the spectrum so the glow effect is not the same.

If you check the packaging, 'blue' headlights will always be marked for offroad use only because they're illegal as most vehicle regulations require headlights to be white light only. So save yourself the cost of the bulbs (and the tickets!) and don't do it. If you decide you gotta have them, go for the kit and fluoresce your life!!

Get notified of new replies

To Read this before buying any "blue" headlights. VERY interesting site.

Quick Reply: Read this before buying any "blue" headlights. VERY interesting site.