C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tornado fuel saver

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 05:23 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tornado fuel saver

Has anyone tried this product? The infomercial loos pretty convincing. I'de would give it a try if it was worth it. http://www.tornadofuelsaver.com
Old 01-05-2002, 08:42 AM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tornado fuel saver (Jvette73)

You may want to check out this thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=207938 .

I've often thought if 20 or so HP could be picked up on a brand new C5 just by changing the air filter housing (at least that's what I've seen on shows like Crank & Chrome), something could be done with my '77s. Maybe this isn't it though.
Old 01-05-2002, 08:44 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Tried one on my Suburban - no change in performance. Airflow management to reduce turbulence may have some effect at extremely high CFM but not for daily driving.
Old 01-05-2002, 10:15 AM
BadjerJim
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a scam that seems to surface in the auto biz every 5-10 years.

Twenty years ago, I was the Technical Editor at Road Rider magazine (touring motorcycles). Our competition, Rider Magazine, came out with a glowing article about a product called Swarup - which is the same thing as your Tornado gadget. A little "cookie cutter" shaped thing designed to "swirl" the intake charge. Huge, 2-page ads appeared in Rider magazine.

At the time (1981), Rider magazine had a very good reputation. After nearly a million dollars in sales, word started to get around that the Swarup didn't do anything.

A little research on my part revealed that a gent by name of Al Gelfand was part owner of the Swarup company. He's also the one who wrote the glowing article in Rider magazine (AND was involved in Rider magazine advertising sales). It took Rider magazine years to (sort of) recover their reputation for honesty, integrity, etc.

I'm amazed how the same old concept keeps appearing as "NEW... after 10 years of research..." etc.

If any of this stuff actually worked, don't you think that Edelbrock, Holley, et al would build this "technology" into their manifold? That GM/Toyota/Chrysler/BMW/Nissan/etc. would be scrambling for an exclusive license?

-BadjerJim
Old 01-05-2002, 10:59 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

BadjerJim is right on. I also remember a few 'new' things that recently came out on cars such as; Hill holding brakes on cars with stick shifts, where as long as you hold the clutch pedal down (on a steep hill) you could take your foot off the brakes and the system would keep the car from rolling backwards down the hill. Heck my old '53 Studebaker had that! And rear window wiper blades (OLD), O/D trannies (they're called 5 speeds now), etc. What they don't have now but should bring back is the old 'Fluid Drive' systems that Mopar had in the 50's, where they paired a torque converter with a 3 spd tranny. You could drive it as a conventional stick shift, clutch pedal and all or just leave the darn thing in any gear you wanted, come to a complete stop without pushing in the clutch and then simply drive it away like an automatic trans car. Amazed quite a number of unaware peers back in high school with that!! :D
Old 01-05-2002, 11:31 AM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: tornado fuel saver (BadjerJim)

The thing that really bothered me about their info show is that they say it has the same technology as in aircaft engines and then they show several aircraft flying by. The say that aircraft engines (ie. gas turbines) spin the air with the blades to make power. That is SO wrong - I'd should know since I am a design engineer for one of the leading aircraft engine companies. The spinning blades are used for compressing the air. Sure their is some spinning of the air, but between each wheel of rotating blades, there is a set of stationary vanes which turn the air back the other direction right into the next set of rotating blades. The blades you see in a gas turbine are for one thing only - compression. Gas turbines are classified as internal combustion engines just like are car engines because they use the same basic cycle (compression, combustion, expansion) to make power. Granted they go about this process completely different.

These kind of comments during their commercial definitely makes me sceptical of their product.
Old 01-05-2002, 05:32 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: tornado fuel saver (Jason Staley)

That is SO wrong - I'd should know since I am a design engineer for one of the leading aircraft engine companies. .

But I saw it on TV so it MUST be true!!! :conehead

MJ :)
Old 01-05-2002, 06:11 PM
SILVRTOY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tornado fuel saver (MNJack)

And to think only three easy payments of $24.95 and if you buy two they will ship free. I think I will hold out for the free steak Knives :lol:
Old 01-05-2002, 06:25 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put one of those things along with $1.50 and it would be worth a cup of coffee! Maybe!!!! :bs :spam :bs
Old 01-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Theres one born every minute.....Don't be one!
Old 01-08-2002, 06:19 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Dude, you could score a Tornado a case of Prolong, some AvBlend with Linkite (it's FAA-approved!) and a set of those platinum multiple ground electrode plugs and be running 11s in just one weekend. :lol:
Old 01-08-2002, 06:29 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Default Re: tornado fuel saver (The Dude)

Dude, you could score a Tornado a case of Prolong, some AvBlend with Linkite (it's FAA-approved!) and a set of those platinum multiple ground electrode plugs and be running 11s in just one weekend. :lol:
No way man, you need some Slick50, Splitfires and a wiper spoilers to do that.:)
Old 01-08-2002, 06:55 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Default Re: tornado fuel saver (Fastguy)

No way man, you need some Slick50, Splitfires and a wiper spoilers to do that.:)
NO, NO. You need 5" exhaust tips and multicolored oriental character stickers to run 11's. :U
Old 01-09-2002, 03:33 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: tornado fuel saver (SteveG75)

How about some liguid X-lax in the gas tank...maybe that will get the fuel in one end and out the other quicker??? I suppose if this Tornado thing was really any good, it would be on the shelves of every part store.

Get notified of new replies

To tornado fuel saver

Quick Reply: tornado fuel saver