C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting a ZZ4 in an 82?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 02:07 AM
CharlieF
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Putting a ZZ4 in an 82?

My car is scheduled to go in the shiop in a week for a total suspension rebuild. In talking with my mechanic about the things I want done, I asked him about a ZZ4 in my 82. He wasn't to thrilled about it. He says he installed about 5 of them last year in older cars. None of them had a computer in them...he said that if does do it....he would want to use the throttlebody setup. Thus keeping the computer controls. This gentleman is highly respected and does a great job. I truly value his opinion.
I was just thinking of using a carb and disconnecting all the computer stuff...."Easier said than done" was his reply.

I know that the cross fire is not the best induction system.....but he suggested using an aftermarket "hopped up" piece. Has any one done this out there?

Getting rid of the car for an earlier year is not an option. The car has been in my family since new. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I already went to the "Cross fire vault" but could not get into the forums.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:19 AM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Putting a ZZ4 in an 82? (CharlieF)

It is not an easy choice, but I think using the TBI Crossfire would be a mistake. If you want to go with a ZZ-4 you should probably go with a carb or TPI out of a later 'vette or F-Body. Crossfires can be made to run pretty good, but they are really limited.
I'm afraid the computer in your car might have a problem with the cam in the ZZ-4.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:24 AM
CharlieF
Racer

Default Re: Putting a ZZ4 in an 82? (Smokehouse69)

I'm afraid the computer in your car might have a problem with the cam in the ZZ-4.
He also said that......he really does not want me to persue this at all. Told me it wouldn't be worth the hassle or the head aches.....now if I can only convince the wife to let me get an earlier car in addition to keeping this one.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:19 AM
Gameshow Bob
Racer

Default Re: Putting a ZZ4 in an 82? (CharlieF)

look what noel carboni did to his '82 . . . Keeping a fuel injected setup. http://home.att.net/~ncarboni/NC82.html

Get notified of new replies

To Putting a ZZ4 in an 82?

Quick Reply: Putting a ZZ4 in an 82?