C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else have a real hard paint to match?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 09:48 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody else have a real hard paint to match?

The nose of my 73 has been painted at least 6 different colors now and nobody seems able to match the color. It's at the body shop at present and they tried matching it 4 times now and it's too gold, so they are trying again. I had this problem the first time when I replaced the nose. The paint guy spent two days trying to match it to no avail. The place that originally painted it a few years ago went out of business the last owner said, so I can't find out what paint or mix they used. I'm starting to feel bad for the body shop, becouse they are trying, I talked to him the other day and he said "I didn't realize what I was getting into when I said I could match it". I'm debating the idea of getting the whole car reapinted if they can't get it any closer, at least then it would be one color. Anybody else have an experience like this?

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 01-04-2002, 10:07 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anybody else have a real hard paint to match? (73 LS-4)

I don't think this is unusual at all. Several times I've had panels come out WAY off. My local PPG guy has a portable unit that can give the proper formula. I've had him use it twice and both times the match was very good. Might be worth a try. I've had a problem with urathane bumpers a couple times with paint from the same can. I think the flex addative can effect the color.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:15 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Anybody else have a real hard paint to match? (lbell101)

Dupont tried their machine on it last time, it couldn't find a match, I don't know about PPG trying this car yet, so I'm guessing this will have to be a trial and error deal again, it's got a flexiglass nose on it so I don't think the flex agent is needed but I do know that it made a deffinite difference in some cars in the past when trying to match. I'm just hoping to get the phone call that says "We got it matched!" and your rechromed bumpers are back on. :D

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 01-04-2002, 10:23 PM
Superv
Advanced

Default Re: Anybody else have a real hard paint to match? (73 LS-4)

I've gotta get the front and rear bumpers painted soon and I'm dreading it.
I've put it off as long as possible but the cars really starting to look ruff.

unfortuately if your gonna use the car everyday you have to expect As**oles who can't park to be nudging your car! :cuss
Old 01-04-2002, 10:36 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

Default Re: Anybody else have a real hard paint to match? (Superv)

Both my 1980 vettes are pearl over white..
makes rock chips a real pain..

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody else have a real hard paint to match?

Quick Reply: Anybody else have a real hard paint to match?