Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

Default Where the L88 Corvette roam free......

www.purestockdrags.com

come see 160 musclecars do battle on the quartermile

INCLUDING 3 L88 CORVETTES

two of these Vettes have run in the past and are currently dominating all comers ..... with ETs in the mid 11's on a bias ply tire

L88 freight trains a Hemi Cuda..........

you really need to see this !
Old 09-05-2008, 12:50 PM
RATT7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta like that !
Old 09-05-2008, 04:30 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 09-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Default I Have Them Both Too

Now if that Cuda had this 'stock' engine, it would be no contest. A A990 Race Hemi does it every time, including to my own L88....:

Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

I always wonder about those "Pure Stock" racers. For one thing, if they are turning 11 second times and are pure stock, then they are going FASTER than they did when they were brand new. Here's a list of the 50 fastest musclecars of all time. NONE are in the 11s, not even the L-88. Heck the L-88 ranked a lowly 16th behind a lot of other cars.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...s-50fast.shtml

Makes me wonder what is "allowed" in Pure Stock class.

Wally: That hemi race engine would have gotten creamed by most of the cars at that race. You gotta use OEM-sized tires. So they would be up in smoke. Slap some slicks on a 1964 Plymouth with that hemi and you would flatten every car there.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:43 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Now if that Cuda had this 'stock' engine, it would be no contest. A A990 Race Hemi does it every time, including to my own L88....:

With that kind of muscle sitting in your Cuda you surely have something interesting to show sitting in you Corvette too don't you? L-88 modified perhaps? Just curious, love the Cuda shot.
Thanks for sharing.
David
Old 09-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DJ Dep

Makes me wonder what is "allowed" in Pure Stock class.
follow the link to the rulebook.

www.purestockdrags.com

two years ago the owner of that Orange Corvette tore his engine down in front of a crowd.... the motor passed all tech and the camshaft was surrendered and cam doctored, it was perfect to the factory specs.

No porting, No stroking, No overbores over .070, No gasket matching.

I run 13.47 @ 104, putting my car 11th on that list.

Wally, that Hemi Cuda makes almost 500 calculated RWHP, and consistanly qualifies 5th behind the 2 L88 Corvettes, a LS6 Corvette, and a ZL-1 Camaro........

come out next weekend and see for yourself....
Old 09-05-2008, 07:46 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
www.purestockdrags.com

come see 160 musclecars do battle on the quartermile

INCLUDING 3 L88 CORVETTES

two of these Vettes have run in the past and are currently dominating all comers ..... with ETs in the mid 11's on a bias ply tire

L88 freight trains a Hemi Cuda..........

you really need to see this !

I sure wish I had an excuse to be back in Michigan (where I was born and raised) for this event in Stanton. I love a good fight and this looks like a winner.
Thanks for sharing.
77Sleeper
David
Old 09-05-2008, 07:57 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From the title, I thought it was going to be a thread about ProTeam Nice charts on the Muscle Car link. Funny that 30 years different and only a car length faster. You can't really go by the tests from back in the day as the factories would slip the mags "specials" to test that you really couldn't buy off the showroom floor anyway. IF (mighty big word, that) all the cars WERE stock, differences in rear gear, tires, and driver skill (or what the factory rep would allow) also skew'd the results.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:12 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
follow the link to the rulebook.

www.purestockdrags.com

two years ago the owner of that Orange Corvette tore his engine down in front of a crowd.... the motor passed all tech and the camshaft was surrendered and cam doctored, it was perfect to the factory specs.

No porting, No stroking, No overbores over .070, No gasket matching.

I run 13.47 @ 104, putting my car 11th on that list.

Wally, that Hemi Cuda makes almost 500 calculated RWHP, and consistanly qualifies 5th behind the 2 L88 Corvettes, a LS6 Corvette, and a ZL-1 Camaro........

come out next weekend and see for yourself....
There's more than just motor mods that make a car go faster. Plus if those donuts on the Hemi Cuda are original size, they probably went up in smoke most of the way down the 1/4 mile. And if it's making 500ACTUAL RWP, then it's nowhere near showroom stock. Hemi Cudas did NOT put out that kind of horsepower at the rear wheel. They were hydraulic lifter engines with street cams. Wally's picture is of a race hemi. THey had two Holley carbs on a crossram manifold. The Hemi Cuda came with two small AFB cars on an inline manifold.

People need to understand that these musclecars like the ZL-1 Camaro and Hemi Cuda were not equipped with monster wide tires and headers, etc. They were, in effect, taxicabs with the potential to be strip killers. They cam with narrow donut tires because guys that bought them for the strip changed the tires. So the rear tires got sold and slicks were installed. The cast iron manifolds were removed and headers were installed. With those two mods, the cars really came alive.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:14 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by parkerracing
You can't really go by the tests from back in the day as the factories would slip the mags "specials" to test that you really couldn't buy off the showroom floor anyway. IF (mighty big word, that) all the cars WERE stock, differences in rear gear, tires, and driver skill (or what the factory rep would allow) also skew'd the results.
Which makes me wonder WHY cars that are supposedly PURE STOCK at that race were turning times FASTER than cars from factories and car mags that are DEFINITELY not pure stock.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

I classify a A990 and the L88 as what they are, "Race"
engines A street Hemi is saddled with a hydraulic cam. I know say no more, a 440 is actually stronger but still not in a L88 range. Wouldn`t stand a chance. My convertible was ready to go except for the cage. Everything else is a complete no nonsense drag race setup front to back including the chassis or what there is of one. Otherwise it would have been to Milan for the Chrysler shootout.

But a single carb L88 as good as it is wont compare. But what is 'stock' anyway?. Those SS/SA 68 Cudas in NHRA`s Hemi Shootout are running high 8`s and over a buck fifty. Thats stock? Whatever it is, Thats FAST....:

I was aware of the top 50 list. And there is No way a 1966 L72 can handle a L88 unless you pull a couple of plug wires off the 88....
Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, that Cuda managed 118 mph and the Vette topped 120 on those tires.....

yeah, machine work is more precise these days, and the owners of the cars have logged 100s of passes in them.... the levels of tune, the availability of air fuel meters and other diagnostic equiptment, and the tires are better in 2008 than they were in the 60s, even the repop bias plies.

NO one is claiming these cars are 100% factory delivered, although we have seen some cars in that category as well, a LS6 Vette with 18K miles ran 13.08 with 35 year old spark plug wires.......

Last edited by Donny Brass; 09-05-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:32 PM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,043 Posts

The rules in these classes are amazing, and these cars are unbelieveably stock..very interesting that they get the speeds out of them.

Its also gratifying to know that in stock trim, the L-88, and possibly the ZL-1 really are King of the hill. Hemi cars look so much better in second place...
Old 09-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Originally Posted by 77Sleeper
With that kind of muscle sitting in your Cuda you surely have something interesting to show sitting in you Corvette too don't you? L-88 modified perhaps? Just curious, love the Cuda shot.
Thanks for sharing.
David
You either know me or are very psychic....

Love those 88`s,
Old 09-05-2008, 09:37 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

You either know me or are very psychic....

Well I have never met you before so I guess that makes me Psychic.
Actually, I just thought "If I had that Cuda I would also have a powerplant worth talking about in my Vette". With that in mind I asked the question. Simple as that. But don't tell my wife I am not psychic, still have her fooled. Told her I can pick a perfect vette to buy by just touching it and reading its vibe. All in good fun, wish I could catch the races, looks like fun. Enjoy them.
Oh, by the way, nice rides you have there and I like the yellow theme you have working too.
77Sleeper
David
Old 09-05-2008, 10:13 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by international blue
The rules in these classes are amazing, and these cars are unbelieveably stock..very interesting that they get the speeds out of them.

Its also gratifying to know that in stock trim, the L-88, and possibly the ZL-1 really are King of the hill. Hemi cars look so much better in second place...
In pure stock original trim the ZL-1 would lose badly. The tires would go up in smoke. I wonder if they are racing auto vs stick in these pure stock classes?

Get notified of new replies

To Where the L88 Corvette roam free......

Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

and you'll shoot your eye out with a half shaft if you drag race a Corvette......

a certified stock (to our rule book) stick shift L88 Corvette on a well prepped track just ran an 11.36 @ 121 mph

DJ, we are doing it, not theorizing about it, but actually doing it. THe L88 is King, the ZL-1 and the LS6 and the Hemi all battle for second place...

http://www.fastraces.org/members/fas...8!OpenDocument

the results from our last event
Old 09-06-2008, 09:29 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

The FAST and factory stock drags brought their show to Englishtown in Nov 05. I took some pics of Wayne Nelson's (MrL88) record setting pass.

Actually a nice looking 69 L-88 clone. As you can see, rollbars are permitted (required?) at that speed even in "factory appearing" class !

hooks like a ****

And this was a factory stock (specs, I think the car was actually a clone, not an original L88)
ran in the 11s

Either of these guys still running?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Must be some outrageous 90/10 drag shocks on the front of that Vette to get the front end up that high.
Nobody has mentioned transmissions. Are these cars using autos or sticks? I would bet every one is an auto.

Quick Reply: Where the L88 Corvette roam free......