C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it Ok to top off a radiator filled with green antifreeze with orange antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 07:13 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Is it Ok to top off a radiator filled with green antifreeze with orange antifreeze?

I bought some antifreeze and did not realize it was orange. Is there any difference between the orange and green antifreeze? Can I put a little orange antifreeze with the green that already is in my radiator?
Old 01-04-2002, 07:22 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Is it Ok to top off a radiator filled with green antifreeze with orange antifreeze? (virtue4u)

I don't see why not. But can't you return it and get the right stuff?
Old 01-04-2002, 07:27 PM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Is it Ok to top off a radiator filled with green antifreeze with orange antifreeze? (virtue4u)

They are not compatiable.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:30 PM
Golden80
Race Director

Default Is it Ok to top off a radiator filled with green antifreeze with orange antifreeze? (Steve Grodin)

No! To put it bluntly. They each have their own chemical makeup. The orange stuff was supposed to be better and was produced by GM I believe. I've read numorous bad things about Dex-cool. (The orange stuff.)

Matt
Old 01-04-2002, 08:09 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can, but there's a high likelyhood that the sh|t monster from Dogma will come to life and eat your family.

The choice is yours.
Old 01-04-2002, 08:21 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. It's not recommended because the longevity and protection properties in the orange stuff is nullified by the green style antifreeze. Inotherwords you won't be able to wait 5 years (or whatever they say on teh orange bottle). I flush the radiators & blocks once a year whether it's needed or not. I've had a mix of both types in my '70 for almost a year now and there haven't been any ill effects. When they mix the color is more puke colored though. ;) ~Juliet
Old 01-04-2002, 11:32 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts

The green may be ethylene glycol based while the orange is propylene glycol based. Different physical properties: specific gravity, specfic heat, etc. At work we drained the old stuff out before the new: orange, was installed. The system was not flushed though. I don't believe any harmful reaction between the two chemicals will occur, just not as good of heat transfer will occur. The freezing point will also probably be slightly higher than if either chemical used used independently. Personally I would get some more green antifreeze and return the orange stuff. Read the bottle to see what the base chemical is.

Roger

Get notified of new replies

To Is it Ok to top off a radiator filled with green antifreeze with orange antifreeze?

Quick Reply: Is it Ok to top off a radiator filled with green antifreeze with orange antifreeze?