C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know where to get Moog front end parts ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 01:37 PM
redvettefreek
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know where to get Moog front end parts ?

Dallas frame and aligment does not recommend the Auto-zone brand at all, but does recommend Moog or OEM.

Thanks all ...
Old 01-04-2002, 02:07 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Default Re: Anyone know where to get Moog front end parts ? (redvettefreek)

I got my Moog upper and lower ball joints at Napa
Old 01-04-2002, 02:16 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

redvettefreek,
As long as your on the net try http://www.carparts.com or http://www.rockauto.com or even http://www.napaonline.com Moog stuff is everywhere, but NOT cheap!! autozone may even have it just reboxed, the racers from the early 70`s said Moog or TRW was MUCH better than "OEM". Your ball joints are K6034 and K6035, ES323-L or R for tie rod ends and one of the best pieces (no longer available) the K6100 idler arm. They used to make a HD centerlink (also not available) that trades for hundreds. Obviously Moog is all i use!
...redvetracr
Old 01-04-2002, 02:42 PM
redvettefreek
Intermediate

Default Re: Anyone know where to get Moog front end parts ? (redvetracr)

I found out carquest will sell Moog...Thank you.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:55 PM
69bblock3x2
Instructor

Redvettefreek,

As Redvetracr says that are lots of places to purchase Moog Chassis Parts.
Most any auto part store except NAPA that services the professional trade should be able to supply you with Moog. Try Carquest, Parts Plus, Auto Pride, Bumper to Bumper, MAWDI, Auto Value, All Pro, Big A, to start with.

If a NAPA store is selling Moog they are going against the NAPA program. NAPA's chassis brand is Perfect Circle Manufactured by DANA.

Auto-Zone's private label chassis is not Moog. It is most likely a short line comimg from an offshore source.

John.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I got TRW at Advance Auto....another forum member said that MOOG was owned by TRW and supply 95% of the automotive springs----I can't confirm that statement as true. But the springs work great! :yesnod:
Old 01-04-2002, 05:44 PM
69bblock3x2
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone know where to get Moog front end parts ? (1970 Stingray)

1970 Stingray,

Moog is owned by Federal - Mogul. They were purchased from Cooper Industries by FM in 1998. TRW is owned by TRW. However since 1992 Federal - Mogul has had a contract with TRW that gave them exclusive rights to the TRW name and the rights to distribute TRW parts in the automotive aftermarket. TRW corporate concentrated on the OE side of the business. Federal - Mogul has maintained two seperate chassis lines for the last three years.

Although FM has had the two lines many of the products were the same. They were just in different boxes. For example TRW does not have any coil spring manufacturing. Until late 1998 TRW springs sold through the afermarket came from a source in Canada. From then until late this fall all TRW coil springs sold through distributors and jobbers were manufactured at the Moog coil spring plant. This fall FM sold the plant to a small holding company , but is still supplied by it.

Whew, I hope I didn't bore you with my story , but I just wanted to cover the relationship between Moog and TRW. I've worked in the afermarket for 18 years with the last 9 being with Federal -Mogul. One last thing, TRW is the largest manufacturer of chassis parts in the world. Most of their products are OE. Moog is the largest aftermarket supplier.

John

Old 01-04-2002, 05:58 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Default Re: Anyone know where to get Moog front end parts ? (69bblock3x2)

John,
That explains why the u-joints I bought were TRW #20064 with Federal-Moul on the box. They look HD but do have the grease fittings.
Gary
Old 01-04-2002, 06:07 PM
69bblock3x2
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone know where to get Moog front end parts ? (gtr1999)

Gary,

TRW U Joints are manufactured by Precision U Joints. Precision is owned by Federal - Mogul. They do have a line of HD Joints.

John.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:21 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Anyone know where to get Moog front end parts ? (69bblock3x2)

Thanks for clarifying that about TRW. I couldn't find any we-own they-own relationship when I dig a brief research search. I didn't did real deep, but still couldn't find a connection.

Thanks

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 6:21 PM 1/4/2002]
Old 01-04-2002, 07:41 PM
74ZZ430
Instructor

I manage a warehouse that is a very large distributor for a lot of the Federal Mogul products, both TRW and Moog. To make it as breif as possible we sell Moog as a notch above TRW. TRW is OEM quaility and MOOG has been re-engineered to better than OEM,thats why the MOOG jobber sheet is usually 5 to 10% higher than TRW,at least that what the Federal Mogul rep tells us.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:37 PM
69bblock3x2
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone know where to get Moog front end parts ? (74ZZ430)

74ZZ430,

Your Federal Mogul rep is right. Moog is sold as a "Problem Solver", where the TRW is OE design. On some applications not a whole lot of difference. You will notice a difference with later model applications where TRW went the sealed unit Low Friction design while Moog uses whats called M2000 Technology. Moog products are by far the first choice with most professional mechanics.

Don't be suprised if you see the TRW name disappear from the aftermarket. The contract that Federal - Mogul has with them will expire at the end of this year. Quite a few Distributors have already had their inventories changed to Moog.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know where to get Moog front end parts ?

Quick Reply: Anyone know where to get Moog front end parts ?