C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Stupid?) shock questiosns with pics (Bilsteins,

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 05:00 AM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default (Stupid?) shock questions with pics (Bilsteins)

Hi,

I could not find this in Chiltons, Forgive me if it is in the assembly manual since I don't have it with me tonight.

I just received my new Bilsteins for the front today and hope to install them tomorrow.

First, a comment. In the following picture I find it hard to believe that this little open ended "clip?" as seen at the arrow can support the load that will be on it. Is there something missing?
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/badl88/vw...od.jpg&.view=t
&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/badl88/lst%3f%26.dir=/My%2bPhotos%26.src=ph%26.view=t

Second, I have lined up the three washers that came with each shock. If there were 2, it's obvious, washer-rubber-frame-rubber-washer-nut. But there are three and one has a larger hole than the other two, so that one doesn't go on the bottom but where does it go? Or is it just thrown in there for a different application?
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/badl88/vw...re.jpg&.view=t
&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/badl88/lst%3f%26.dir=/My%2bPhotos%26.src=ph%26.view=t

So clearly #2 or #3 goes on the bottom but then what? I assume the rubber still sandwiches the frame. Does one end of this set up get double washered?

Thanks,
B-L88

[Modified by BAD-L88, 1:09 AM 1/4/2002]
Old 01-04-2002, 10:14 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: (Stupid?) shock questions with pics (BAD-L88)

I think the two with smaller holes sandwich a rubber washer below the mounting hole in the control arm. Then the other rubber washer fits on the shaft directly on the ipper side of the control arm and the other metal washer with the larger hole is between the upper washer and the nut.
I have always added a washer between the upper rubber washer and the control arm. This creates two sandwiches: one above the control arm and one below.
And, yes, the small offset on the shaft is adequate to prevent the shock from slipping up and failing.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:36 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: (Stupid?) shock questions with pics (flynhi)

Did they give you an instruction sheet? I consulted (for the first time! :eek:) the instruction sheet that came with my Delco shocks. This is a great opportunity for me to try my new scanner. They have a different diagram for pre 1984 and 1984 - present applications. They also have a diagram that shows THREE "retainers" (as they call them) being used. I think using the 3rd one is optional, because the diagram says "discard if loose". So you use it if it fits snug, but dont use it if it is loose?? Here are 2 of many diagrams from my instruction sheet. Hope this helps... MJ (I dont know about you, but I get a headache trying to read friggin instructions that are in 3 languages!!!! :mad )

[Modified by MNJack, 11:38 AM 1/4/2002]
Old 01-04-2002, 01:12 PM
BAD-L88
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: (Stupid?) shock questions with pics (MNJack)

thanks MNJack and flynhi,

I am going to go with "Discard if loose"

Now that I think about it, maybe the third one is to compensate for a hole in the frame that might be too large.

Get notified of new replies

To (Stupid?) shock questiosns with pics (Bilsteins,

Quick Reply: (Stupid?) shock questiosns with pics (Bilsteins,