C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the TCS? Yes? No? Why not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 03:40 AM
jimbr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the TCS? Yes? No? Why not?

Howdy,

Well, my top end rebuild is coming along. The heads, headers, roller rockers, performer AirGap, billet tall valve covers, etc., are all on - just waiting for the Edelbrock 600cfm 1405 carb to arrive.

Question.... Should I keep the Transmission Controlled Spark set up? from the description in a Chilton's book, it sounds like something not wonderful for performance. Here's a diagram of it....

If I disconnect, do I just rout the dist vacuum advance to a carb connection and hide the old wiring?

Incidently, going to tall valve covers introduced some real pains with the A/C compressor mounting and Alternator (also partly due to headers) - I have very little play for belt tightening. I can fab abetter lower bracket for the alternator to solve it 100%, but not sure yet about the A/C - which I had to remove an AC line :mad because it was not flexible enough to let me remount the compressor in it's new (further out) position.

Thanks,
Jim :seeya
Old 01-04-2002, 04:38 AM
Bob Jenkins
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Can the TCS? Yes? No? Why not? (jimbr)

Yea, I would disconnect it for higher performance. It was designed to improve emissions by limiting vacuum advance in all gears except high gear. This was used in 1970 and that is why the 350/350 hp did not have a smog pump.....
Old 01-04-2002, 07:50 AM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Can the TCS? Yes? No? Why not? (jimbr)

Jimbr; I am going to leave my TCS dissconnected also but I haven't studied the wiring enough to know what I will do with it. I too ran into the belt adjustment problem with tall vavle covers. I found that if I remove the covers to permit the belt installation, I can then adjust them with the original mounts. It's a pain but with the VC gasket glued to the cover they can be used over and over. Good Luck, Craig
Old 01-04-2002, 10:06 AM
TNT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Can the TCS? Yes? No? Why not? (CF6873)

Jim, if want all the performance you can get, disconnect it! BUT, don't throw any of the parts away. You may, one day decide to go back or a friend may want to bring the car back to stock-origional condition. Some of these parts can be pricy! Thad :eek:
Old 01-04-2002, 10:35 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Can the TCS? Yes? No? Why not? (TNT)

My car didn't have TCS when I purchased it. I have since bought all the parts (except the ever elusive '70 base engine steel vac advance line). The 2 wires to the TCS were clipped at the harness where they come out near the firewall / wiper door control thing. The carb I used to have didn't have the port in the back which goes to the TCS solenoid. The correct #s carb just has that port breating fresh air now. ;) The vac advance from the front of the carb to the thing on the distrib is just a direct line on my car and bypasses the TCS solenoid. You can probably see a photo of it somewhere on my webpage or the '70 Registry web page if you poke around. That car's all buttoned up in the cold under it's cover. If you need give a holler in a few days and I'll shoot a new photo for you. I've got the '87 in the garage with it's dash ripped apart at the moment. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Can the TCS? Yes? No? Why not?

Quick Reply: Can the TCS? Yes? No? Why not?