Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil and coolant temps high

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 12:19 AM
danbo56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These car, like most new cars, are bottom feeeders. Broken air dam will reduce air flow over the radiator.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:28 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I feel that the center black "air dam" piece directs a significant amount of airflow up into the radiator. I also take spare center and side piece (right and left are different) air dams to the track with me.

That said, I didn't see the answer to the oil weight question.

Oil viscosity can have an impact on oil and thus coolant temp. I've been running a 40 grade (used AMSOIL SAE Synthetic Premium Performance 10w40) but AMSOIL just came out with a true racing 10w30 which has a very high viscosity for a 30 grade oil, almost a 40 grade that I ordered and will use next time I find my way to a track.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 09-15-2008, 07:28 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your oil cooler sitting directly in front of the radiator? If so, that is your problem. I did the same thing on my C6 and temps were way to high. Moved the oil cooler to the side and ran a new duct to it. Now oil runs 230-240 and water is 210-220.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:16 PM
crashnscar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
Is your oil cooler sitting directly in front of the radiator? If so, that is your problem. I did the same thing on my C6 and temps were way to high. Moved the oil cooler to the side and ran a new duct to it. Now oil runs 230-240 and water is 210-220.
Yes it is. This is something I have actually been thinking about.
Here is a picture of my setup:

I'm considering doing something like this:

But instead of laying the cooler down like that, I will have it upright so that all the air is forced through it. I am also venting my hood soon so I could make another exit duct for the air from the oil cooler, have it be separate from the radiator air.

Do you have pictures of your setup with the oil cooler off to the side with ducts running to it?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:37 AM
crashnscar
Instructor

I have done another track day, and again high temps.
Oil was in the mid 280s-290, coolant was mid 240s-250.

BUT, after turning the heater on HOT and full fan speed, the temps both came down... about mid 260s for oil and 220 for coolant. It seems to me that my cooling capacity is not enough, and that's why the heater trick works. I have a DeWitts radiator and a 10"x12" motor oil cooler; maybe its time for a nicely vented hood?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Kschwamy
Drifting

[QUOTE=crashnscar;1567074646]Alright, so it turns out my center factory air dam had been bent all out of place. Do you think that could have been the entire issue?

This will definately affect the temps. I have had the same problem in the past and keep a spare with me. Getting this back to the correct position should solve your proble.

Quick Reply: oil and coolant temps high