C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Restoration Reference

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 11:30 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Recommended Restoration Reference

I posted this evening re a #330813 water pump and it twigged that many Forum Members may not have the basic reference manuals to get to know their C3s. Mike Antonick's "Corvette Black Book" is excellent; indeed the bible. Helm's manuals are there for the mechanically inclined. And there are the AIMs. The book below I have found very useful for numbers beyond the Black Book and it is just full of pics of what was then for C3s. It IS NOT a restoration manual per se as to HOW. But a nice and easily read reference text. ISBN 0-7603-06757-5.

Old 01-04-2002, 12:03 AM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Recommended Restoration Reference (paul79)

I can't agree with you more, Paul.

I, too, have the Corvette Restoration Guide shown, and have found it very informative on correct info for each year and even changes made in between years. Codes and reference tables in the back of the book and very easy to follow to determine correct numbers for parts.

I'm a originality nut, and want to keep my Vette as original as possible but still have a little fun with it.

If anyone else is into originality or just wants to see how your Vette came from the factory, the book is worth having around.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:14 AM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Re: Recommended Restoration Reference (paul79)

I use Prince's book as well. There are three other books I have found very helpful:
1. The Original 1973-1977 Corvette Fact Manual by Peter Licastro
2. Vette Vues Fact Book of the 1973-1977 Stingray by MF Dobbins
3. The NCRS Information Manual/Judging Guide 1973-1974
I am not in the NCRS and have little interest in restoring my Vette to assembly line condition: toooooo expensive. I like to have my Vette as original if reasonably possible.

Roger
Old 01-04-2002, 12:46 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Recommended Restoration Reference (RMS73)

Rich and Roger. I too am not caught up in the NCRS thing, I think....But the longer my 1979 stays stock, the more I think about it. Last summer at cruise nights the nicest compliments were directed at my car with the original equipment in place compared with the chrome laden others. The Booomers seem to like originality. The repro window sticker is a real attraction. I do not wish to be judgemental on this; simply an observation. To each his own. BTW, the black air cleaner cover is in the basement and the "numbers" alternator and starter are long gone. The rest sits there intact. Maybe a 1979 with "numbers matching" will have a meaning some day.

[Modified by paul79, 11:52 PM 1/3/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Recommended Restoration Reference

Quick Reply: Recommended Restoration Reference