C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OUCH! That labor cost.

Old 01-03-2002, 08:30 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Default OUCH! That labor cost.

The cost of living continues to go through the roof here on the West Coast despite the slacking economy. Thought you might like to know what the dealers charge to take a look see.
Some GM dealers in the S.F. bay area are charging upwards of $107.00 per hour.
A little cheaper at the independents...but that's the going rate. OUCH!
How about where you live? :cry
Old 01-03-2002, 08:32 PM
daniel77350
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OUCH! That labor cost. (KENS78SILVERANNIV)

$50-$75 depending....Its not worth it though...they're all morons about vettes(no offince to mechanics, its just the ones around here). One guy tried to argue that my vette was unibody...I told him it was fiberglass, he said "ohh thats right". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Daniel
Old 01-03-2002, 08:46 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You know, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if you could get a $107/hr worth of quality work from them but I don't think that it ever happens.
Based on the horror stories that I hear, many of the so called "professional" mechanics should pay YOU $X/hr to work on your car.

I wonder what the ratio of give-a-hoot vs. knowledge is for the average mechanic these days?
Is it possible that the majority of the mechanics are decent yet they all get a bad wrap from a few really rank ones?
I sure am glad that I am able to do most of my own work. The cost of not performing ANY of their own car maintenance must really cut into some peoples life styles eh!
Old 01-03-2002, 09:00 PM
SprintCarDriver
Racer

Default Re: OUCH! That labor cost. (MIKER)

I have not turn wrenches for a living for over 20yrs now and I can still do better than most of the ones that I have met here. Seems to me that they prefer to jack up the rates than to beat flat rate and do the job right the first time... Adn forget about knowing anything about corvettes. The two times that I have let a mechanic work on my corvette took them 5 weeks to finish and then didnt do the job right.

There are some great mechanics out there, I just havent found one yet...
Old 01-04-2002, 02:02 AM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: OUCH! That labor cost. (SprintCarDriver)

My mechanic is a cruiser/bud who owns his own garage; charges $45/hour for "rush" jobs - the ones you have in the summer to get you back on the road and into cruisin' quickly. After the season, I drop an "ailing" car off, tell him to fix it in "slow" time (when he's not busy with "rush" jobs or everyday work runs out)...also, it's one less vehicle I have to worry about storing for the winter :D
Cruz
Old 01-04-2002, 10:24 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: OUCH! That labor cost. (Cruzmeisters)

Dealers are 35 bucks an hour, independents are about 30. There are 1 or 2 independents I would recommend, but I would never take one of my vehicles to them. The dealers don't have anybody that knows anything. You would be better off letting some preschooler take a stab at it. I do work for friends once in awhile and get $20 and hour. They think they're getting a heck of a deal. I don't make a habit of it, but for the friends that are a little hard up for cash, I will do it once in awhile. Most of them haven't paid for the labor up to this point, but I think they will. :rolleyes: At least I don't have any parts into them, they have to take care of that. Labor can be financed, parts can't. :lol:
Old 01-04-2002, 12:30 PM
Tominator
Drifting

$40.00 an hour, this one area I'm feel lucky :D , four guys work at the shop. They are members of the hot rod club and drag racers too. I know one of them owns a vet, so I don't feel bad leaving my car there and I trust them completely. They fight over who gets to work on it and they treat me great, it's like they work on other cars but love to work on sports cars. They always keep it inside at night. When they rebuilt the engine they would call me up to tell me to stop by and take pictures at different stages.

The draw back is they are slow when working on the vet, when they work on my other cars they are prompt. I think it's a pride thing with the vet, they make sure everything is just right. Also if I want something done I can bring in my own parts and they install them.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:34 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: OUCH! That labor cost. (Tominator)

A good mechanic is hared to find but When you Do...Make sure you keep him!!! I found one and I do feel lucky :smash: ..I am guessing he charges me around $25 bucks an hour....He has become a good friend plus he drives a vette!!

[Modified by Alwyn678, 11:35 AM 1/4/2002]
Old 01-04-2002, 02:54 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Labour at my local Chev dealer is $80.00CDN or about $50.00US.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:16 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

KENSSILVER is right. I live in SF CA and $80/hour for a good mechanic would be a great bargain around here. I recently paid $90 an hour with a $135 minimum to clean out my drains. Nothing against plumbers btw, just reality around here - I believe the most expensive place in the country to live.

Get notified of new replies

To OUCH! That labor cost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OUCH! That labor cost.