C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone measure this for me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 05:44 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone measure this for me...

I recently replaced the rag joint in my '71. The 1/2 on the steering box side is supposed to clamp on the spline with the bolt running in the "groove" in the spindle (correct?) The other 1/2 clamps on the steering column spline. OK, no problems. However it seems that the distance between the two splines is too much. To have the steering column 1/2 grab at least a 1/2" I had to move the steering box side towards the steering wheel and far enough such that the bolt no longer rode in the "groove". If I left the lower 1/2 in the "correct" position then the upper 1/2 barley grabbed any of the spline.

I know it's hard to get an exact measurement without taking the joint apart but can someone get an approximate measurement from the front spline to the back?

Fouthermore, if my distance is indeed too great what could have caused this. No frame damage to move the gearbox. Could the steering spline be wrong somehow? Thanks!

[Modified by Monkeywrench, 4:46 PM 1/3/2002]
Old 01-03-2002, 05:59 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Can someone measure this for me... (Monkeywrench)

I just went out and TRIED to measure mine. Unfortunately, it's really not possible with the unit together. However, I could get some other measurements which may help. The amount of shaft I can see between the steering box (where it comes out) and the joint is about 3/16". I believe it to be in the groove. On the column side, I can see about 7/8" of spline from the top of the joint to where the splines end. Hope that helps!
Old 01-04-2002, 04:35 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Can someone measure this for me... (lbell101)

Yep, mines too far apart. I'm guessing this was caused by the steering column getting "squished" at some point. (What's strange is there is no frame damage at all, all fiberglass is original so no signs of crash) This year had the energy absorbing steering columns so that is likley the cluprit.

So does anyone know if the column is resetable or do I need a new lower column?
Old 01-05-2002, 10:37 PM
Monkeywrench
Melting Slicks

ttt
Old 01-06-2002, 09:40 AM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Monkeywrench
I ran into the same thing during re-assembly. I had replaced my frame. The rag joint did not look like it was going back together right. You will have to spread it. If I remember right the two ends of the shafts are about 2 " apart from each other. It took me about an hour to put mine back together because the whole time it just did not look right. Once I got it all spread out and tightened it was fine.
Hope this helps.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Can someone measure this for me...

Quick Reply: Can someone measure this for me...