C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fogging oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 02:01 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Fogging oil

I know a lot of guys up in the frozen north park their cars for the winter, lotsa storage questions here...well IMHO, I would just pull all the plugs and get a squirt of fogging oil intended for marine engines into each cylinder...just a bit of it, NOT flooding it out.....

or do like a boat engine for winter storage, spray into air intake with engine running at high idle...1500-2000 rpm's or so...and keep it up untill engine quits,...button it up, job done....disconnect battery and bring it inside....

GENE
Old 01-03-2002, 02:17 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Fogging oil (mrvette)

IMHO... I would squirt oil directly into the cylinders. You want to lube the cylinder walls, rings, valves, etc... not the intake and risk gumming up the carb. I recomend using Stabil in the gas for storage. With a full tank (to reduce risk of tank rust) Put the recommended amount of Stabil in the tank, run the engine for 10-15 minutes to get the Stabil into the float bowl/lines..and put her to sleep. Just my opinion... :cheers: :cheers:
Old 01-03-2002, 04:18 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Fogging oil (Silvr77)

Um you guys are about 2 months too late, it's already about Zero around here and the Vettes have been sleeping for a while :eek: :cry

BTW I spray in the carb then in each clyinder till it foams out...
Old 01-03-2002, 04:48 PM
flood
Race Director

Default Re: Fogging oil (427V8)

How long does it really take gas to go bad? I usually just start the car at least once a week and let it warm all the way up. then I usually take it out for some quick cookies in the snow and Ice then shut it down untill the next time. :cheers:
Old 01-03-2002, 05:24 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Fogging oil (flood)

Sionce I have a fuel injected CE, Ijust wait for spring and pull plugs and shhot oil into the cylinders.
Gas generally starts breaking down in about 45 days. Unless of course you keep filling her up. Stabil and the like slow that process down because it is made of petroleum distillates.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:51 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Fogging oil (flood)

I am no fuel chemist, but an earlier thread of some time ago on here talked about Xylene as an additive, and I was most impressed....so if it adds that much performance, I'd say use it for a spring startup additive...should be fine...
allthough, I started and ran a car in my mom's garage with 15 year old gas...ran sorta crappy, but enough to get to a station and it smoothed out over the weeks untill sold....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Fogging oil

Quick Reply: Fogging oil