C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOS 'Top Shot' is in (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2002, 10:40 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default NOS 'Top Shot' is in (pics)

Some of you wanted to see the new 'Top Shot' system from NOS when I got it installed. Here they are, they are kinda small though, hope you can make it out.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:29 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: NOS 'Top Shot' is in (MasterDave)

SWEET....that is going to be some SERIOUS FUN..........
Old 01-03-2002, 11:49 AM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you supplying the fuel to the system? Are you using seperate pumps? If not, what single pump are you using?? Try this as a test, open your bottle, start the car keeping it in park, take it up to about 2000 - 2500 rpm, then "blip" the nitrous system and see where the fuel pressure goes. If you have seperate pumps, it's really not necessary but if your running both your carb and nitrous from a single pump not up to the job, the results might not be nice. Also, I'm assuming your using 2 regulators, one for the juice the other for the carb?

BTW, although the pics are lil' small... It does look :cool:
Old 01-03-2002, 12:01 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

MasterDave that's a great looking ride you've got there :yesnod: .
Old 01-03-2002, 12:39 PM
MasterDave

Default Re: NOS 'Top Shot' is in (70PurpleLS7)

Bigger pics are on the way, then you will be able to see the 'T' in the fuel line. I used only one mechanical fuel pump, but I installed the Holly (HLY-12-834) which both NOS tech and the local perf shop said would be fine. It says it is rated at 60+ gph under pressure @ 6-7.5 psi which also means a regulator is not necessary. If by 'regulators' you mean solenoids, yes there are two, but I mounted them next to each other on the same bracket. I started the engine (no nitrous) and ran it up to 2000 rpm, I hit the microswitch and lots (and I mean lots) of fuel came out of each nozzle. More than the carb squirts on its own it seems. Darn near killed the engine. The book said that's what was supposed to happen. I guess that's good. :yesnod:
Old 01-03-2002, 12:54 PM
MasterDave

Try these...[img]htp://home.attbi.com/~blkbelt5/PC300108.JPG[/img]

[Modified by MasterDave, 8:55 AM 1/3/2002]
Old 01-03-2002, 01:08 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

When's the first test drive Dave? It's a good idea to get your car on a chassis dyno with a wide band O2 sensor. That way you will know if your A/F ratios are safe. You will also get to find out how much power and torque you picked up!

Important note! Make sure you run non-projected tip spark plugs. Projected tip plugs will lead to detonation.

NGK makes a good one called V-Power for about $2 a pop.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:27 PM
70PurpleLS7
Burning Brakes

Dave,

By regulator, I mean before the fuel solenoid to regulate the pressure of the fuel going thru it. At 6.5/7 pounds (if that is what it is, your going to run fat - which is safe) Did they recommend a fuel pressure gauge to see what your actual pressure is going into the solenoid, or into the carb for that matter? What about a "hobb" switch? If for some reason you run low on fuel pressure, (solenoid goes bad, pump goes kaput) is the system going to stay on?

Reason I'm asking is a friend put a super powershot system on a carbed Mustang, he was using a Holley Red Pump (similar output to yours). At 2500 RPM when we blipped the NOS, the fuel pressure for the carb went straight to zero then came back up to 3 pounds and stayed there until the system was de-activated.

Just food for thought...
Old 01-03-2002, 01:31 PM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Default Re: NOS 'Top Shot' is in (Cam Potter)

I second the NGK's with N2o, go about 2 steps colder then stock. Start off with your lowest hit first, and do lots of plug checks. Work your way up as you get each hit tuned in right. If the engine for any reason feels wrong when it's on, immediately get out of it. Nitrous is great stuff, but if you get careless with it, it will bite you. Also if you haven't already as a safety precaution along with making the system more consistent an RPM switch is a great thing to have, the main reason I got one was so that it was impossible to have any nitrous in the intake without the engine running. If you know what happens with a charge of nitrous in the intake and you start the engine it can be quite spectacular :eek: Have fun :D

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 01-03-2002, 02:06 PM
MasterDave

Default Re: NOS 'Top Shot' is in (73 LS-4)

Well, I'm going with the lowest (100hp) shot and the install manual says I will be safe with standard plugs and a stock fuel pump. I went with the 'known' output of the Holly just to be safe. Was told also that no regulators would be needed and the new pump would not overpower the carbs needle and seats. Don't mind changing plugs though, what do you mean about the plugs, are they the surface gap plugs that some 2 stroke engines use? Why would the grounding electrode on std plugs make a difference in detonation? :confused: Thanks...Oh, the system has an off switch which I installed under the steering wheel at the dash bottom. This turns the system on/off.

[Modified by MasterDave, 10:09 AM 1/3/2002]
Old 01-03-2002, 02:48 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Dave, projected tip plugs have a long ground strap that glows red hot during nitrous runs. With nitrous use it can get hot enough to cause preignition. The shorter ground strap on a non-projected plug cools much faster.

Trust me. Go get a set of NGK V Power plugs. They are cheap insurance just in cause your car runs lean.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:57 PM
MasterDave

Default Re: NOS 'Top Shot' is in (Cam Potter)

Gotcha Cam, on my way..... :cheers:
Old 01-03-2002, 06:52 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

very nice setup dave.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:35 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: NOS 'Top Shot' is in (pats406nitrovette)

Nice job. I just finished up my fogger system and all I have left is jets and a full bottle. Should have time to test in a few weeks at the Dyno day.
Budman
Old 01-03-2002, 09:58 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

Default Re: NOS 'Top Shot' is in (Budman78)

Masterdave, Just beautiful :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To NOS 'Top Shot' is in (pics)

Quick Reply: NOS 'Top Shot' is in (pics)