C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air cleaner questions

Old 01-03-2002, 03:14 AM
Turbo 77
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air cleaner questions

My 77 vette has a pretty tall intake manifold, so there is not too much room for an aircleaner under the hood. It currently has a drop base aircleaner, with an Accel foam element. The thing is, when I was looking at the setup, I realized the carb is very shrouded and there is not much room for the air to move in there. Another thing with my car is that it has an aftermarket hood (see http://pubweb.nwu.edu/~ngg099/stuff/vette.jpg), with a small hood scoop, and a round cutout just above the carb. (I know this description is vague, ask me if you need clarification). Basically, what I'm saying is, there is outside air available above the aircleaner. Now, do I go with something like a 6 inch air cleaner and try to get it to poke into the airstream from the hoodscoop, or do I get something like an X-Stream lid for my 14 inch air cleaner? I know it seems like I am worrying about this a lot, but I don't want to be losing power from something retarded like having a bad aircleaner setup. Thanks
Old 01-03-2002, 05:12 AM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Air cleaner questions (Turbo 77)

The hood sounds and looks like an L88. The L88 hood uses a filter that fits in the hood. The carb has a base with foam to seal it to the hood. There is also a screen to keep birds and tools out of the carb. These parts can be bought from most Corvette vendors.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:10 AM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Air cleaner questions (Turbo 77)

Hey Turbo 77 have you entererd your info into the 77 registry ?? if not hit the link below:)
Old 01-03-2002, 09:21 AM
SevenT1Shark
Instructor

Default Re: Air cleaner questions (paso)

I am not sure about the setup you have but what about one of those K&N lid filters?

Get notified of new replies

To Air cleaner questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air cleaner questions